Another Grocery Bag Tutorial - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-28-2008, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seeing the other post re:T-shirt grocery bags reminded me of this one from another forum. I LOVE these! If you scroll ALL the way to the bottom there are instructions on how to fold them into small squares. Perfect for grocery shopping.

www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=177482.0

Anyway you look at it, a reuseable grocery bag is "A Good Thing"
#2 of 9 Old 02-29-2008, 11:13 AM

Great bag!
#3 of 9 Old 02-29-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

These work great and are easy to sew. Especially if you're out of T-shirts...... Mine always get turned into oil rags for the car
#4 of 9 Old 03-02-2008, 01:05 PM

Another cool site. It has the tutorial in the OP and a few others.
#5 of 9 Old 03-02-2008, 05:13 PM

I've made tons of these, they were great. I recommend making your bag longer then the tut suggests, and a little wider, as well as longer handles.

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#6 of 9 Old 03-02-2008, 07:42 PM

So this tutorial actually made me dig out my sewing machine. I haven't successfully completed a sewing project since home ec in 8th grade, so... I think I need some help.

I've cut out all my pieces and I understand the first part, attaching the lining at the top handle. But then the tutorial shows "Now we are going to work on the top of the handles. Push the lining back and pin the main fabric together:" - from there it tells you to sew the main fabric, which is fine. But then it says to keep sewing on into the lining, and I cannot quite seem to get my pieces to work so that I could sew just the linings together and not the main fabric. Can anyone offer me advice here?

Maybe I should start with something simpler...
#7 of 9 Old 03-03-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkin View Post
So this tutorial actually made me dig out my sewing machine. I haven't successfully completed a sewing project since home ec in 8th grade, so... I think I need some help.

I've cut out all my pieces and I understand the first part, attaching the lining at the top handle. But then the tutorial shows "Now we are going to work on the top of the handles. Push the lining back and pin the main fabric together:" - from there it tells you to sew the main fabric, which is fine. But then it says to keep sewing on into the lining, and I cannot quite seem to get my pieces to work so that I could sew just the linings together and not the main fabric. Can anyone offer me advice here?

Maybe I should start with something simpler...
Okay, you sew the U shape but on the outer edges you stop 1.5 inches from the top. Then when you get to the confusing part...

You've got the outer fabric touching right side to right side. And one layer of lining on top, and one layer on the bottom. On the side that has the 1.5" unstitched part, you take the two pieces of the outer fabric (which is the outside fabric of your bag) start stitching those together. You will sew the main fabrics together and then keep on stitching to sew the two lining fabrics together. Very confusing to explain, but once you get it, ahhh....

That is the part that got me at first too.

There are many easier tutorials at craftster, but I love this bag.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#8 of 9 Old 03-03-2008, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani76 View Post
Okay, you sew the U shape but on the outer edges you stop 1.5 inches from the top. Then when you get to the confusing part...

You've got the outer fabric touching right side to right side. And one layer of lining on top, and one layer on the bottom. On the side that has the 1.5" unstitched part, you take the two pieces of the outer fabric (which is the outside fabric of your bag) start stitching those together. You will sew the main fabrics together and then keep on stitching to sew the two lining fabrics together. Very confusing to explain, but once you get it, ahhh....

That is the part that got me at first too.

There are many easier tutorials at craftster, but I love this bag.
This was the same part that got me, at first. Had to follow it word for word before I figured it out. But then I am notorious for sewing my linings onto the outside of things all the time before turning, anyway. Thank goodness for seam rippers......
#9 of 9 Old 03-05-2008, 03:54 AM

This is great. I love my reusable bags but always forget them when I am just out and about. This way I could always keep it in my purse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page