Mothering Forum banner

lamb cake for Easter, can it be made without a mold???

6K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  ~Megan~ 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have my ideas down for my son's 4th birthday and his desire for a scorpion cake.

Now, for Easter I would really love to make a lamb cake. I was looking at different molds and not really sure which one to buy. There is one by wilton and one by nordic.

Has anyone any luck making a lamb cake without a mold??

If anyone has had luck with either the wilton or nordic let me know I need to order soon!

#7 ·
Ok, back from Easter Sunday. I tried to do a lamb cake standing up version. I cut out to lamb shapes from to flat sheet cakes and attempted to ice it together.

no good for me. As I iced, the poor little thing started to fall over and that is where he stayed. So, it was a lovely lamb cake (with to die for buttercream icing) but laying down. Everyone loved the cake and it was almost gone by the time I went home.

#8 ·
Ours turned out to be a lying down one too. We are dairy/egg free so the batter tends to not rise as much. Next year, I will need to double the recipe so it will fill the whole mold or find a new recipe that will rise. It was super yummy non the less. Next year will only be better. DH wants to add a red filling so when you cut into it, it bleeds
So it looks like next year, it will be strawberry filled
:

Heres a pic of ours
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/b...rrent=lamb.jpg

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
DH wants to add a red filling so when you cut into it, it bleeds
So it looks like next year, it will be strawberry filled
:
That's made me literally LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.