Musician mamas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey there! I looked and didn't see any recent discussion on music, so here goes!

Any moms out there sing or play an instrument? I sing and play guitar, bass and a tiny little bit of piano. Right now my inst. of choice is bass (when the 6MO lets me!).

Amanda - Wife to Will,Mom to Kevin (2), and his brother or sister, due in May 2010
#2 of 15 Old 03-24-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubs_mom View Post
Hey there! I looked and didn't see any recent discussion on music, so here goes!

Any moms out there sing or play an instrument? I sing and play guitar, bass and a tiny little bit of piano. Right now my inst. of choice is bass (when the 6MO lets me!).

I'm a music teacher and music director at my synagogue. I sing, play/teach piano and voice, and I'm learning guitar (but I suck :). Do you take private lessons? If so, have you noticed how all the good teachers are booked/freakin' expensive????

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#3 of 15 Old 03-24-2008, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

I did take private lessons, but my bass lessons were free since I worked at a music store.

Yes, they are expensive. I've never taken a class but I hear that can be a good option and it's cheaper. Also, you can get input and learn from the other students.

Maybe you could trade piano lessons for guitar lessons?

Amanda - Wife to Will,Mom to Kevin (2), and his brother or sister, due in May 2010
#4 of 15 Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 PM

I've been playing piano up and through college and taught private lessons in high school. I'm thinking of doing that again to be a WAHM. So much fun! That reminds me how much I haven't been playing recently, and I can only wonder how much less I'll play once baby's born.
#5 of 15 Old 03-25-2008, 12:27 PM

Especially college lessons, I figured out it was somewhere close to 200/month for one half hour lesson per week!

Trading would be a fantastic idea for music lessons!
#6 of 15 Old 03-25-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulmomma87 View Post
Especially college lessons, I figured out it was somewhere close to 200/month for one half hour lesson per week!

Trading would be a fantastic idea for music lessons!
No kidding! I gotta find someone local who plays guitar who'd like to learn piano or voice.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#7 of 15 Old 03-31-2008, 12:31 AM

Clarinet, Guitar & Bass here. I also sing a little when no one's listening or when I'm

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
#8 of 15 Old 05-01-2008, 03:43 PM

Hi! I just signed up here, and was browsing, and found you musician mamas! I am one! I play guitar, and computer :-) I even found time to post a song I made on YouTube http://youtube.com/watch?v=GHcockAgFN8 , though, as you know -- being a mama doesn't leave to much time for music... Especially being a mama of two toddlers :-)

But we can't just give it up, right?

I think we musician mamas should unite :-)
#9 of 15 Old 05-01-2008, 06:18 PM

I'm a professional musician. I have a BMus and an MMus in Piano Performance. I've been teaching privately for over 10 years and yes, us good teachers (if I dare say so myself) are expensive. This is, after all, our profession and our livelihood.

I'm also a church organist and choir director. I ran a small homeschool choir for a couple years. I play the trombone too... though not as much as I used to. I'd love to get back into a community band.

I'm actually performing tomorrow night in our ORMTA branch Member's Concert, my first solo performance in years (I do lots of accompanying and chamber playing). I'll be playing Chopin's Ballade in g minor, if anyone is in Burlington ON and wants to come listen lol...

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#10 of 15 Old 05-01-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
I've been teaching privately for over 10 years and yes, us good teachers (if I dare say so myself) are expensive. This is, after all, our profession and our livelihood.
Oh, absolutely. It's how I make a good chunk of my livelihood, too. It's a pity, though, that lots of us with private studios are charging more just to pay for their own private lessons!

#11 of 15 Old 05-06-2008, 11:04 PM

I have a MM in flute performance but have let my playing slip terribly since becoming a mama. I have 2 private students, and I play in an amateur orchestra -which I love because I get to play the principal parts (parts I didn't get to always play in grad. school with all the competition). I'm always quite tickled with myself when I'm leading sing-a-longs (on the piano) with the little ones. I love listening to them belt out their favorites (with precious mis-pronunciations and all). Nice to see some other musical mamas out there. It's a wonderful gift we bring to the home isn't it?
#12 of 15 Old 05-23-2008, 07:17 AM

Piano teacher here! *wave*

been teaching for 22 years...gosh that makes me sound old

its the best job to work from home

love it!!!

I have openings...but only because we recently moved here and I am building up my client base again from scratch. Ideally I would like to have 12-16 students again...right now I have 7.

Just been passing out business cards to everyone I meet and word of mouth (and a bit of advertizing on craigslist...which brought me 2 students already!)
#13 of 15 Old 05-24-2008, 01:17 AM

Another professional musician here. I've got my BMus in Jazz Performance. Been playing piano for 25 years (wow - I can't believe how old I am, lol!).

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#14 of 15 Old 06-11-2008, 01:57 PM

a
#15 of 15 Old 10-27-2008, 01:52 AM

I play viola professionally. My degrees are in performance, too. I played in a graduate quartet while I worked on my DMA, but I didn't finish that degree. I knew pretty soon after I started it that I wasn't up for finishing, so I just stayed until the assistantship ran out.

I'm getting ready for a solo recital next month. It has been a long time since I've played a solo recital! A church in the town where I teach has a monthly concert series. There are so many pieces I wanted to play! I've had to pare it down, and I may have to revamp the program with a new pianist, too.

Getting ready for this recital makes me realize that I should be doing this at least once a year. I've been longing for more practice time! I bought Powerball tickets today with that purpose in mind.

I teach Suzuki method violin and viola, and I have 28 students and 3 group classes right now. I love teaching. I enjoy my students. But I miss my practice time! I wish I could shift the balance to performing more and teaching less. But our budget says "uh uh!"

Oh, the viola I could play with that Powerball windfall! I'd buy a sweet violin, too. And bows!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page