Can we talk about making diapers in general? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-18-2003, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that I have some really cute WAHM AIOs, I am just dying to make my own diapers, because fabrics that I really really like are just not out there... or are really rare.

I know a lot of people make diapers. I really want to make them mostly for myself and also to sell online.

I need a serger.. I don't have one. And a snap setter.

How do you find the things you need? Do you buy the fabrics online? How do you size your diapers? I would know if the diapers I'd be making fit my guy as a size large, but I wouldn't know how to fit a newborn or make sure I have the proportions right.

Anyway, I just want to start a dialogue about this kind of thing here.. feel free to babble away.
#2 of 3 Old 09-19-2003, 12:51 PM

I buy fabrics online, and most everything else. I cant find wooly nylon for my serger locally or many things. Often the prices I can get online or just as good or better than buying localy in B&M stores. For everythign else I cannot find or want a good price on I get through a coop. If you have a tax ID and all that often you can buy wholesale, too.

There's a number of sites that sell snaps and snap presses, I prefer The Snap Store and their snaps. /rant on I bought a MIS press and die set and their brand of resin snaps and the snaps arent working well with their own die! So I am now using TSS snaps with MIS's die set and its working way better for me. I should have goen with TSS int he first place, better prices, selection and product. /rant off

Sizing, well thats sort of tricky. I dont think everyone does it the same way. You can use diapers you have to get a general idea on the measurements or you can ask mamas to give you measurements and try and create a diaper around those. Then have them 'test' the fit. You can make one-size, 2 size, 3 size, 5 sizes of diapers! So many ways to do it, so have fun experimenting and maybe you'll come up with somethihg unique and revolutionary to the CDing World LOL

Good luck! Theres no one way to do it.

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#3 of 3 Old 09-21-2003, 12:41 PM

Hi, just wanted to mention that you might want to check out the Sewing and Crafts board...there are lots of home-diaper-sewing mamas on the board, and there are frequently posts about sewing diapers.

As for sizing, if you're going to make diapers for your own use, you can always use a pattern...I like the Honeyboy home pattern myself. Or trace a diaper you already have that fits your ds well! Of course this doesn't work if you're also thinking about making some to sell..

I have had good luck getting fabrics through co-ops, mostly in yahoo groups. Just do a search for "diaper fabric" and you'll turn up a lot. If you'd like more specific info, feel free to pm me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page