Knitting newborn baby hats?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2003, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone here have a good (free) pattern for simple newborn caps to knit?

Also, while we're at it - is there any place online that describes how to knit in the round well? I cannot knit in the round and I'm not good at stopping in at our local yarn store for their help sessions - seems someone will get me going in the right direction, but then when I'm home, I need help!

I have six births coming up in the next month and I'd like to knit baby caps at births.

Also, are there any newborn cap patterns that do not require circular knitting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2003, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Pam. I noticed that on Hawthorn south of Costco there is a yarn shop. Its in the oddest place, it looks like a business center, on the left if you are travelling south.

As far as other ideas how out two squares face to face with poms on the sides Like this
I do them in fleece but you could knit them for sure. And you need to teach me to knit, I can only crochet.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 09-19-2003, 04:43 AM

Knitting in the round is very easy- I say this as a beginner- after you cast on circular needles, just join the end stitch when you come to the other end and keep knitting around- you don't even need to purl to get stockinette! It just goes around and around and no seams. "Join" just means you knit the stitch of one end with the working yarn from the other end stitch. It is really obvious when you do it LOL

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 09-19-2003, 05:17 AM

Old 09-20-2003, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by amarasmom
Hi Pam. I noticed that on Hawthorn south of Costco there is a yarn shop. Its in the oddest place, it looks like a business center, on the left if you are travelling south.

As far as other ideas how out two squares face to face with poms on the sides Like this
I do them in fleece but you could knit them for sure. And you need to teach me to knit, I can only crochet.
Hey, Megan! I love that yarn shop - it is the BEST. I'm too cheap and busy to take one of their knitting in the round classes - I guess I'm going to try to do it on my own first.

We should get together to knit! I'm not great at it - a client taught me....I thought that keeping my hands busy during a birth is the best quality of a midwife, so she taught me after every prenatal.

My gramma taught me to crochet, but only a realllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy long chain. LOL!
Old 09-20-2003, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Bloodrayne, thank you SO MUCH for those links! I found three of what I was looking for...including some that don't require circular knitting!
Old 09-20-2003, 06:48 PM

Ok, made up my own vvery, very simple pattern
Here you go.

With 3 mm(size 2?) needles, cast on 80 sts
Work in k1p1 ribbing for 5"
k8, k2 tog in rib pattern
k 1 row in rib
k7, k2 tog in rib pattern
k1 row in rib
Continue until you have 8 sts on needle, run the yarn through stitches, pull tight and sew up side.
If you want to k in the round, just do the same on dpn's (without the sewn up part.)
Old 09-21-2003, 11:14 AM

Pam, I'm starting my apprenticehip in January and looking forward to knitting during labors as well. I'm so glad that I took the time while I was pregnant to learn to knit because I've never known how to do a craft that was portable. Yeah, I can sew and scrapbook, but neither is as easy to transport as knitting!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).

User Tag List