Crotchless pants? HELP! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-19-2003, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My MW wants "dignity duds," which are pants with open crotches so that clients can have clothes on when their paps are done and be a little more comfortable than if they're just wearing a paper sheet (well, actually her sheets are cloth, but you get my drift). I'm trying to figure out how to make them for her so that I can barter for the cost of my birth.

What I want to know is how do you make it so that the pants don't just gape open at the crotch? I really don't want to snap the crotch b/c that's a little too baby-like , but I don't know how else to do it. Also, would you make the opening run from side to side (ie knee to knee) or front to back? HELP!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#2 of 18 Old 09-21-2003, 07:28 PM

I really don't think having a snap at the crotch is too babylike. When I was a teenager bodysuits were very 'in' and they snapped at the crotch. I think that is probably the best way to keep them closed before the exam. However (thinking out loud here), keeping them closed might not really be necessary. What if the fabric just overlapped and there wasn't a closure. It is not like anyone is going to wear them out of the office. LOL I think holding them closed with a snap or button is your best option though.

What are you making them out of?

I am not sure about the direction of the opening. I would ask your MW what would be the most convenient for the exam. Probably knee to knee would be the easiest because the seam is there anyway. Front to back might be best for the exam and not much more difficult.

I think they are a great idea. I wish my MW had something similar.
#3 of 18 Old 09-21-2003, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

I also posted this on the EC forum and one of the mamas there has a great pattern for crotchless pants for babies that stays closed: http://www.diaperless.com/nakeybottoms.htm. I need to PM her and ask a few basic questions, but I do have a better idea of what I'm doing now.

I'm making them out of a poly/rayon blend that reminds me of scrub fabric. I got 10 yards of it at $2 a yard at Wal-Mart. MW doesn't need to know how much these cost me to make .

If you want pictures of them after I'm done, I'll be glad to post them. Maybe you could barter with your MW for them? The really cool thing is that my MW got the idea from her backup OB, who has them in his office. How cool is it that an OB cares that much? We expect it from midwives, but I never expect that kind of consideration from an OB.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#4 of 18 Old 09-21-2003, 11:09 PM

That cross over design is great. Awesome idea. Smart to post in EC. I wouldn't have thought of that.

I think it is awesome that you are able to barter for your birth. I am not having another one any time soon but that is something I will keep in mind for next time around. I definately don't want a hospital birth and that is all my dh's insurance will pay for. :

I definately want to see a picture when you are done.

Congrats on the new baby.
#5 of 18 Old 09-22-2003, 09:42 AM

i didnt look at the link so maybe this is the same thign

but what about taking a cue from mens underwear? they are like two flaps and you go in between; although i suspect that could be limited space to work in

otherwise maybe a design like have a huge gaping hole, but a 'wing' that goes over the hole and has a velcro closure or a tie

so that you open the wing and close it when done
#6 of 18 Old 07-25-2006, 11:28 PM

this is an *old* thread but i was wondering if you had the pic of the pants u made?

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#7 of 18 Old 07-27-2006, 04:08 PM

I think that whole concept's kinda weird....I don't know that I'd want to wear random pants...

I do know that wrap-around pants (much like wrap-around skirts) do exist and they are highly adjustable...Don't know what you'd do for the crotch though.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#8 of 18 Old 08-01-2006, 12:32 PM

I'm a medieval re-enactor and a friend of mine purchased these crotchless panties -

http://www.historicenterprises.com/c...ail&p=278&c=15

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#9 of 18 Old 08-03-2006, 09:10 AM

I was thinking about Victorian bloomers, which I think those braies are sort of based on. They're loose and overlap. I think there's a commercial pattern for them, maybe McCalls?
#10 of 18 Old 09-12-2006, 04:46 AM

Ha ha- I made that McCall's pattern for bloomers, not realizing they were crotchless! (teach me to read all the way through before just jumping in) Dh is sleeping upstairs so I can't go rummage around for the pattern # but will post it tomorrow. They are a civil war period bloomer, a little PITA to make because of lace but you could easily simplify. They are quite baggy in the leg and butt so they sort of bunch together and overlap and are more or less modest. I love the idea of these- it will be the first thing I discuss with my OB next visit.
#11 of 18 Old 09-12-2006, 01:18 PM

Yes, please post the pattern number! I was gonna 'wing it' for some 'home birth' pants for me...as I'm more comfortable with my legs covered...so I'd definitely be interested, as I'm due Nov.
#12 of 18 Old 09-12-2006, 01:42 PM

Found it! (if you saw the state of my sewing room you'd be applauding and cheering wildly)

It's actually a simplicity, pattern #9769 and I bought it at least two years ago, so hopefully they still make it. If you can't find it, LMK and we'll see what we can figure out.
#13 of 18 Old 09-13-2006, 08:47 AM

Jeebus, I'd be more embarrassed to wear those than go completely starkers! Well, how they look on that last link anyway..
A bit bizarre, I never really thought about it. I was thinking something more skirt like would be the go from the first few posts.
#14 of 18 Old 09-14-2006, 10:48 PM

That pattern is still available, and I've actually looked at it before, for the corset. I got another one though...but you'd never know those 'bloomers' are crotchless from looking at the pics!

Hmmm...I'd leave off the ribbon trim, and make them long and maybe a dark color...would be great under 'period' costumes and trying to go to the bathroom in a long skirt!!

#15 of 18 Old 09-14-2006, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenabyte
That pattern is still available, and I've actually looked at it before, for the corset. I got another one though...but you'd never know those 'bloomers' are crotchless from looking at the pics!

Hmmm...I'd leave off the ribbon trim, and make them long and maybe a dark color...would be great under 'period' costumes and trying to go to the bathroom in a long skirt!!

Yep- I would make them longer next time. I like wearing bloomers under skirts with a little trim peeking out but I'm a little more ... full-bodied than the models in the picture and they are just so dang big and baggy they make me look like an R. Crumb caricature.
#16 of 18 Old 09-19-2006, 12:31 AM

I think you should check out the MamaRoos crotchless pants for babies. They overlap in front (so are "closed") and look pretty closed in the back when the baby is standing. We call them "buddha pants" and they do look a little bit like Thai fishing pants. Something like that for a midwife visit would be really cool.

http://http://www.mamaroobabysling.c...aRooPants.html
#17 of 18 Old 09-22-2006, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven_lux View Post
Jeebus, I'd be more embarrassed to wear those than go completely starkers! Well, how they look on that last link anyway..
A bit bizarre, I never really thought about it. I was thinking something more skirt like would be the go from the first few posts.
Yikes - how about leather chaps? I thought I was the only one - I think I would be really creeped out if my doctor asked if I wanted to wear those - ??? I just don't get it. But, I would probably go to a different doctor. I guess I am just.... old fashioned???
#18 of 18 Old 09-25-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralmg View Post
I think you should check out the MamaRoos crotchless pants for babies. They overlap in front (so are "closed") and look pretty closed in the back when the baby is standing. We call them "buddha pants" and they do look a little bit like Thai fishing pants. Something like that for a midwife visit would be really cool.

http://http://www.mamaroobabysling.c...aRooPants.html
The link doesn't work for me -Neither does the one of the nakeybottoms.

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page