fabric organizing....talk to me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 04-08-2008, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have yards of fabric and remnants and old clothes to refashion...how should i store it all. the stacks just aren't working, at the moment! lol
#2 of 24 Old 04-08-2008, 09:30 AM

No kidding!! Mine either.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#3 of 24 Old 04-08-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
i have yards of fabric and remnants and old clothes to refashion...how should i store it all. the stacks just aren't working, at the moment! lol
When you find a good system let me know, I have mine folded on shelves that are overburdened and prone to fabric collapse

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#4 of 24 Old 04-08-2008, 03:55 PM

My stuff is in tubs but this is no good either.I need to be able to get at it better and I would like it to breath.Our old tenants left one of these that I'm going to give a try.

#5 of 24 Old 04-08-2008, 04:27 PM

:

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#6 of 24 Old 04-08-2008, 05:14 PM

Clear plastic storage bins. Keeps dust off and I can see what's inside without opening. Plus, they fit in the closet or stack wherever

\m/

#7 of 24 Old 04-08-2008, 05:17 PM

ditto clear plastic bin. i tell myself I will sew at least 1 thing a day and so far i've been good a 10 minute baby bib project counts right?
#8 of 24 Old 04-08-2008, 05:34 PM

I bought backing boards at a comic book store. One package cost about $15 and its a huge. Definitely a lifetime supply for me.

Then fold each piece of fabric around the board in a similar fashion to how material is wrapped around the cardboard bases at fabric stores. You will end up with something the size of a book. I've currently got mine on a bookshelf, but may move them to plastic bins when I reorganize. Either way, they are nice and neat.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#9 of 24 Old 04-08-2008, 09:20 PM

For quilting fabrics (may not work for bulky items) I followed a recommendation from Lois Hallock's book Creating Your Perfect Quilting Space. She suggests making a folding board (like they use in clothing stores) sized for your shelves or bins. Fold each piece of fabric around the board (just need one) and remove it. The fabric is now in uniform sizes and therefore easier to rearrange. The cover page shows what it looks like.
#10 of 24 Old 04-08-2008, 10:04 PM

My DH just bought me drawers for my sewing room a couple weeks ago. I have more fabric than space right now, but I just went and took some pictures since I can't find any online.

They're Sterilite's Modular Drawer System in two sizes, Deep and... shallow, I think. The drawers stack tightly, they don't shift. And the whole drawer lifts out like a basket with handles on both sides, which is really sweet.

Here is the whole setup. The drawers, and a couple laundry baskets on top. One of which contains reclaimed fabric, the other of which contains mending.

This is a picture of the open drawer. I stacked the fabric on edge so I could see it all.

Here is the drawer sitting on the floor by itself. Very handy for individual projects.

When we move my sewing room from the tiny corner it currently occupies into the spare bedroom, I'll be getting more of these, even though I typically dislike buying plastic anything. I do still have 2 Rubbermaid tubs in the closet, but because I can't see the fabric it won't get used. These are really great for making sure I can see everything at a glance. I have the fabric categorized by type. One drawer is flannel, 2 are cotton prints, one is knits, etc.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#11 of 24 Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 AM

Im in need of organizing in small spaces :
#12 of 24 Old 04-09-2008, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
My DH just bought me drawers for my sewing room a couple weeks ago. I have more fabric than space right now, but I just went and took some pictures since I can't find any online.

They're Sterilite's Modular Drawer System in two sizes, Deep and... shallow, I think. The drawers stack tightly, they don't shift. And the whole drawer lifts out like a basket with handles on both sides, which is really sweet.

Here is the whole setup. The drawers, and a couple laundry baskets on top. One of which contains reclaimed fabric, the other of which contains mending.

This is a picture of the open drawer. I stacked the fabric on edge so I could see it all.

Here is the drawer sitting on the floor by itself. Very handy for individual projects.

When we move my sewing room from the tiny corner it currently occupies into the spare bedroom, I'll be getting more of these, even though I typically dislike buying plastic anything. I do still have 2 Rubbermaid tubs in the closet, but because I can't see the fabric it won't get used. These are really great for making sure I can see everything at a glance. I have the fabric categorized by type. One drawer is flannel, 2 are cotton prints, one is knits, etc.
totally coveting this and am going to steal if that's okay! we have several of the rubbermaid three drawer w/casters we're not using...i'm thinking color coding them....this is too scary organized for me! lol
#13 of 24 Old 04-09-2008, 07:42 PM

[QUOTE=cristeen;10959631]My DH just bought me drawers for my sewing room a couple weeks ago. I have more fabric than space right now, but I just went and took some pictures since I can't find any online.

Here is the drawer sitting on the floor by itself. Very handy for individual projects. ]

Where did you pick these up at? I currently have my fabrics folded around the comic book cardboards and then lined up in big rubbermade bins. But like a pp said, It's hard to lug that big box out when I need the fabrics. I'm also runneth over with clothing to refashion into something else. I need a way to figure out what to keep and what not to keep. I tend to be a packrat anyways and it drives my dh crazy.
#14 of 24 Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 PM

I'm currently using one of those collapsible canvas storage tower things that hang from a closet rod. The fabric is folded and stacked in the individual cubbies. I don't have tons of fabric so it is working for now. I have it hanging in my laundry room where my ironing board is.

I like those plastic bins with the built in handles though. Great for pulling your stuff out while working on a project.
#15 of 24 Old 04-10-2008, 12:22 AM
p.s

I have...alot. A small sewing room: large armoire that dh made expressly for holding fabric, two Elfa units (this I like b/c the fabric can breathe and I can see the choices), two shelves that run the length of a wall to hold books, stacks of fabric already dedicated for a project, etc.
Dh is making another amoire about half the size of the other to hold a few bins worth fabric, b/c I'm trying to get away from plastic. When it's organized enough, maybe I'll post stash pics.
#16 of 24 Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
totally coveting this and am going to steal if that's okay! we have several of the rubbermaid three drawer w/casters we're not using...i'm thinking color coding them....this is too scary organized for me! lol
LOL! Go right ahead! I figured so long as I was refolding everything to be uniform, I might as well sort them by type as I went. I didn't go so far as to arrange them by color group, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snitker79 View Post
Where did you pick these up at? I currently have my fabrics folded around the comic book cardboards and then lined up in big rubbermade bins. But like a pp said, It's hard to lug that big box out when I need the fabrics. I'm also runneth over with clothing to refashion into something else. I need a way to figure out what to keep and what not to keep. I tend to be a packrat anyways and it drives my dh crazy.
DH picked them up at Target. They were about $15/each, he said. I tried googling them and couldn't come up with anyone selling them online. The two shallow drawers in the picture are not big enough for fabric, but are big enough to hold things like elastic, rulers, scissors, interfacing, etc. Sterilite has another style of stackable drawers, but I like this one better because the whole basket lifts out, and the baskets are perforated so the fabric doesn't get musty.

Also, you can take the lids off the individual drawers, and the frames will snap together for even more stability. I didn't do that, since this is not their permanent home.

I love the idea of using a backer board to get a uniform size/shape on the fabric. Mine were just best approximation. I have plenty of comic book backer boards around here.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#17 of 24 Old 04-10-2008, 02:32 AM

I use clear plastic bins, and I tape a swatch of each fabric to the top just so I don't forget...And remember, ladies, she who dies with the most fabric wins
#18 of 24 Old 04-17-2008, 03:55 PM

Most of my fabric is ruler-folded (I use my 6"x24" rotary cutting ruler as a folding board) and the folded fabric rectangles then get folded in half and stacked on a shelf with the fold facing out and the selvedges toward the back, so I can see the fabric without taking it off the shelf.
It's all in those modular wire cube shelves - it's surprising how much you can fit in one cube! Then I put a curtain over the front to keep the light from fading the center-folds of the fabric pieces.
#19 of 24 Old 04-21-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
I bought backing boards at a comic book store. One package cost about $15 and its a huge. Definitely a lifetime supply for me.

Then fold each piece of fabric around the board in a similar fashion to how material is wrapped around the cardboard bases at fabric stores. You will end up with something the size of a book. I've currently got mine on a bookshelf, but may move them to plastic bins when I reorganize. Either way, they are nice and neat.
Good IDea
#20 of 24 Old 04-28-2008, 12:17 PM

I make costumes for historical reenactment so I have lots of fabric. Let me start by saying that when I organized my fabric as follows I was moving it from one room to another anyway.

I took 3 by 5 cards and cut them in half. As I went through each box of fabric I measured each length and noted this on a the card. I also noted content and what I was thinking when I bought it (if I remembered.) To each card I stapled a small sample of fabric. (At this time I got rid of a lot of stuff.)

These cards when into a binder. I started with some plastic binder inserts that had old floppy disk sized pockets. I eventually got some inserts that had baseball card sized pockets. The binder was divided into fabric type: wool, linen, cotton, printed cotton, silk (smooth and textured)

The fabric went into boxes roughly corresponding to the dividers in the binder. The best thing about the binder is that I can match up fabrics from the samples without going through my boxes. If I only used part of a length I would note this on the card. I eventualy put a pocket at the back for cards for used up fabric.

I've mostly kept up with this when I buy new fabric.

It seems a little meticulous I want to emphasize that I did this a little at a time.
#21 of 24 Old 04-28-2008, 06:35 PM

Ohhh, thank you for the good ideas and especially the pictures!
#22 of 24 Old 04-29-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
OMG, thank you so much for this idea!

I was at the American Quilter's Society show in Paducah, KY last week, where I saw a vendor selling these. I debated and debated about buying them, but decided that I just couldn't afford them, even though it seemed like a great way to organize all of my fabric (which is currently in Rubbermaid tubs) - even with the show discounts, they ended up costing about $1 each, which is a lot if you have a big fabric stash!

This backing boards idea is fantastic! As soon as I read this here, I went to our local comic book shop, where they had several different sizes to choose from. I brought them home and have just started wrapping my fabric onto the boards - it works GREAT!

Just had to pop on here and say thank you to Pumpkin - I am so excited to have finally found a solution for organizing my fabric! YAY!!!!
#23 of 24 Old 04-29-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masel View Post
I make costumes for historical reenactment so I have lots of fabric. Let me start by saying that when I organized my fabric as follows I was moving it from one room to another anyway.

I took 3 by 5 cards and cut them in half. As I went through each box of fabric I measured each length and noted this on a the card. I also noted content and what I was thinking when I bought it (if I remembered.) To each card I stapled a small sample of fabric. (At this time I got rid of a lot of stuff.)

These cards when into a binder. I started with some plastic binder inserts that had old floppy disk sized pockets. I eventually got some inserts that had baseball card sized pockets. The binder was divided into fabric type: wool, linen, cotton, printed cotton, silk (smooth and textured)

The fabric went into boxes roughly corresponding to the dividers in the binder. The best thing about the binder is that I can match up fabrics from the samples without going through my boxes. If I only used part of a length I would note this on the card. I eventualy put a pocket at the back for cards for used up fabric.

I've mostly kept up with this when I buy new fabric.

It seems a little meticulous I want to emphasize that I did this a little at a time.

I think I love you.

My fabric stash isn't that big, but that is the level of organization of my dreams.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#24 of 24 Old 04-29-2008, 05:59 PM

Hee. Thanks. I think. I guess it won't surprise anyone that my day job is in a library.

I like the comic book backing bag idea. I have a bunch left over and all of my new comics come with boards and bags. I've been saving the smaller pieces of fabric I used to toss because now I make costumes and toys for my DD.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page