building sand/water table? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-04-2008, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Preferably using reclaimed materials. I'd like to find a super easy way to make a sand & water table with stuff that I could find cheap or free (thrift stores, junk stores , freecycle, etc).

nak as always...

Thanks for any ideas!
#2 of 12 Old 05-04-2008, 10:23 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#3 of 12 Old 05-05-2008, 01:23 AM

I've been thinking about this too. So far all I can think of is to get some kind of plastic bin and some maybe free? wood from somewhere and build some legs and a square or rectangle wood frame to hold the bin in. Should be pretty simple if you have a saw and a screwdriver or hammer to slap it together.

For even easier, get a plastic tub w/ a lid and just put it on top of an old low table; coffee table or kiddy table and voila!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#4 of 12 Old 05-05-2008, 11:18 AM

Cheap trays for planting might be an option? I get long black trays like this for a buck or so at Lowes. They're not very thick/sturdy plastic, however, and don't stand up to much if you're washing/moving them a whole lot (at least for holding water!)

There ARE heavy duty trays, but you can't find them at Lowes and the like. They run around $12 or so. Look for "permanest" trays. You'll probably find them from african violet growing sites or maybe even hydroponics sites. Generally they're 11x22x2.5 inches.

Other options I could think of to be more environmentally conscious would be to maybe scavenge an old fiberglass tub, and use a saw to cut out the "tub" part, about 3 inches from the base. Then you'd have a short basin AND a drain that you could just plug. In our city there's a place called Construction Junction where people sell/drop off old deconstruction materials - toilets, tubs, windows, old/broken tiles, etc. This would be a lot of work, but I bet you could get a pretty good result from it. Just please wear a mask!

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

#5 of 12 Old 05-05-2008, 11:31 AM

what about using an under the bed storage container and building a frame around it.

something like this for the bin, I've seen them at thrift stores without the lids for a couple of bucks and then for the table....water table plans, another plan or as a pp said, taking an old table, I would look for one that has glass inset, so the "frame" would already be there for you and you would just need to "pop" the glass out.

oh what about using a small hard sided pond liner.

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#6 of 12 Old 05-07-2008, 04:30 PM

This may not be one of the most environmentally conscious methods, but we made one out of PVC Pipe (for the frame) and a big black concrete mixing tub.
Here are some plans somewhat similar to what we used...
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/briarwren/234515/
I think the original plans we got were from Family Fun, but I can seem to find them now.
#7 of 12 Old 05-07-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
what about using an under the bed storage container and building a frame around it.

something like this for the bin, I've seen them at thrift stores without the lids for a couple of bucks and then for the table....water table plans, another plan or as a pp said, taking an old table, I would look for one that has glass inset, so the "frame" would already be there for you and you would just need to "pop" the glass out.

oh what about using a small hard sided pond liner.

thanks for the plans link!
#8 of 12 Old 05-07-2008, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll have DH check out some of the plans and see what he's up to building.
#9 of 12 Old 05-07-2008, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://childcareandbeyond.tripod.com/

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#10 of 12 Old 05-09-2008, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
There are always baby bath tubs going round on freecycle here, they make great water play containers. It might even be possible to cut down a stand to child height (this is the kind of thing I have in mind http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Baby-Bath-Stan...QQcmdZViewItem)

For sand I prefer something with a lid (we have lots of cats around) so I would go with an under bed box for that.
#11 of 12 Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I like the baby bathtub idea - then it has a built in drain already.
#12 of 12 Old 05-10-2008, 03:26 PM

good ideas! dh has been wanting to make ds one of these for awhile now.

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page