Longies Knitting Club - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2003, 02:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by MamaMonica
I just finished the short rows with only one unsightly glitch- but it is hidden by the varigated yarn. It was a problem with purling the wrap. That was a doozy to figure out.
Holy moly Moncia! Talk about buzzing along! You just did what took me a week in like 2 days. You go girl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2003, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Julie. I have been knitting late at night for hours instead of sleeping- I want these wool pants.

But it has backfired. All of my purl side short rows have holes. I missed this because I was going too fast. I hope I can sew those shut. I didn't pay enough attenton to the book and without Theresa's clear instructions I was sort of lost.

Word to the wise- check the short rows right away! Now I've knitted inches below and am not ripping. I guess I'm happy that they look as good as they do. The yarn is so gorgeous. I wish, wish, wish I'd taken more time to perfect purling the wrapped stitch.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 10-09-2003, 06:41 PM

Hey y'all, thought I'd pop my head in and say way to go on the little support group you've got goin' here

Hey Monica, on the icky purl short rows, you can always do a cute applique on the booty and hide it-how about a little garter stitch knit train that you whipstitch on? Or just a free-form i cord that strategically covers all the purl parts, LOL?
Old 10-09-2003, 06:53 PM

hi there,

i have finally started! i'm only on my 3rd row of the ribbing, but at least i've started. i have to say that it doesn't look very good either. it kind of looks like a bunch of crazy knots. oh well, i am finishing. noah is probably right at the end of a medium, so i'll make these a medium. then i'll make the next pair a large and hopefully they'll be prettier.

monica, i'm sure it looks so much better than you think it does!

hi theresa! how would one do a train? my son is a train fiend and would love that!!!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 10-09-2003, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Applique is a great idea, Theresa! I like the chain idea- I think I'll get creative when these are done. It gives me strength to know it is fixable!

Me-who-can't-keep-from-fixing-things went on the inside and wove a little strand that filled the biggest hole- I hope that was OK- it forms a little mess on the inside but the outside doesn't show and it closed up.

Chrissy- that's great! It'll look more like ribbing after you have a few more rows.

Old 10-09-2003, 07:59 PM

oops, change of plans. i ripped it all out. about 1/2 of it looked pretty good once i ripped it out but the other half was all twisted and crazy. i bet i twisted up the cast on row. but i'm not sure how i did that b/c i thought i was careful not to. :

monica, hooray for you for fixing it!

Old 10-09-2003, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Chrissy- I hope the next time goes better. You don't want to know how many times I have ripped ribbing. It goes fast once you have a row or two and can see the pattern.

You know, I posted on Theresa's forum about the holes, and the holes I have, which are more slits (besides the big one I fixed) are a natural part of short rows and will be hidden once it is washed. Isn't that great to find out? I guess the holes to worry about are big holes and I only had one of those.

Old 10-09-2003, 08:49 PM

oh that's great news Monica!

Old 10-09-2003, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Julie or panda- help! When you did the crotch shaping round and it says to knit within 3 stitches of the center back marker then k1, k2tog- was that a typo and do you k2tog, k1 instead? I posted on the forum, too but am eager to keep knitting.

Old 10-09-2003, 11:52 PM

Hey monica, if it is before the marker, then it's k2tog, k 1, if it's after the marker it's k 1, k2tog. you want to have two stitches between the decreases so there's a nice line between them
Old 10-10-2003, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Theresa! I will do that. I'm back to the shaping rows!

Old 10-10-2003, 12:59 AM

Wow, some of you are going to be done in no time!

I finished my knitting for inches and my short rows and am back knitting for inches again.

Chrissy-When I made my soaker I knotted up my ribbing and had to rip it out too. : No fun but at least I learn with each mistake I make, right?

Theresa-Glad you are here.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 10-10-2003, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Aurora, you are just buzzing along, too. That's great!

I posted this on the forum, too- on Julie's thread- I have my crotch stitches on holders but do I knit those last 3 after the holder and before the beginning of round marker before I break the yarn, or just break it right after the stitches on the second holder?

What about those last 3 stitches?

Old 10-10-2003, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Well I ignored the three and did the kitchener. It could have been tighter- i did it nice and loose and it didn't pull tight with the tail, so i wove that it in and left it loose. hey, its joined and has the right stitches if at a looser tension.

Then I put the leg stitches on 2 circulars (instead of pts) and picked up the two stitches which I must have done wrong. I have crotch holes. Ack. it was 2 am and ripping on 2 circulars was more than I could comprehend so I kept knitting and hope to darn the holes shut.

Someone help me please

Old 10-10-2003, 03:11 PM

Monica~

I tried to post earlier but MDC was sooooooooo slow. I PM'd you but thought I post it here too.

I have no idea how to help you but Theresa responded to your post on her Forum.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 10-10-2003, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Aurora. I need to rip but I am scared- I put the wrong 12 stitches on holders and grafted them and when I rip I sometimes rip to wrong place so this is going to be tough. Any tips on how to rip back to the right row and not overshoot and get all the stithce is appreciated.

Old 10-10-2003, 03:58 PM

Hey monica, you can use a "lifeline" A lot of lace knitters do this when they have to rip. Use a circular needle that's smaller than what you're working on (so say like size 3 or 4) and find the row right before you want to rip to. Insert the circular needle into one side of the "v" in every stitch, esentially picking up that stitch with the needle. Do this all the way around, making sure you've got the same row for all stitches. Then you can rip back to that needle and you won't go any further, cause all that row's stitches are on the needle Then, you can just knit off that one with the correct size

What did you make the mistake on with the crotch stitches?
Old 10-10-2003, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I need that lifeline. I already ripped the hard way- see I just can't keep my hands off my knitting. Next time- the lifeline.

Theresa,

I knitted up to 3 before the marker- and put the 6 before THAT on the holder both times. So I didn't have the 6 centered on the markers- but stopped 3 before and had 6 back from that on the holders. I thought that's what I thought it meant, since those were already knitted across. Maybe something about the marker being in the center of the holder stitches would be a good reference?

I have ripped the kitchener and put the 6 stiches centered each marker on holders. I can only hope they are all in the same row. If not, I'll use the lifeline and rip back further and redo.

This is great practice. I am going to have to make another pair after this to use my knowledge, since I won't make these mistakes again. First finish this one...

Old 10-10-2003, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Julie how are you doing with that loopy thing? Did you get it figured out? Been thinking about you hoping its going well.

Old 10-10-2003, 11:43 PM

Did I miss the *loopy* thing for Julie? LMK what's up and I'll try to help
Old 10-11-2003, 02:38 AM

Here's my update.... molasses. That is how the legs are going! S-L-O-W How many dpn's are you guys using for the legs? I am using 4 and 1 to knit w/. I keep thinking 3 may be easier (and a little faster) but the directions said to divide the stitches evenly between them, so 40 sts divided evenly is 4 needles. Anyhoo... I've only gotten a couple inches done on one leg so far... I think it's going to take a while to do the legs.

My kitchener finally came out right! I practiced once, then tried it on the Longies... ripped it out 3 times, practiced some more and finally got it! I was keeping the yarn on top of the work instead of below and getting a bump across it.

Monica, I had the same issues w/ the holes when I picked up my sts too. I also think I will just darn them shut. I was thinking of having my yarn shop knitting ladies help me w/ that, but I just wanted to move forward and it was night... gotta knit when ya can!

Oh, my loopy thing (when put the crotch stitches on holders) worked out just like Theresa said it would. I totally put my faith in her and it worked! I tell ya, we are learning so many techniques w/ this project aren't we???

Aurora~ Have you gotten to your shaping rounds yet?

Chrissy~ How are you coming?
Old 10-11-2003, 01:08 PM

yay, Julie :0 So glad it's coming along and you figured out the kitchener. I told you-blind faith isn't a bad thing sometimes. It's so hard to descirbe some of these techniques when if we were face to face I could explain in two seconds by showing you. I'm so proud off all of you for doing so well

I usually do 4 dpns, cause I think it's easier to do that way, but it really doesn't matter if it's 3 or 4.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Glad its going well, Julie. On the dps- maybe try 3 and see if you like that better? They said at the yarn shop that you don't need the stitches divided exactly- it doesn't matter. I found 2 circulars to go faster. It is still slower going.

knititng on 2 circular needles

I hope you're doing well, Chrissy. How is the ribbing going? How were the short rows, Aurora?

Theresa- thank you for rewriting the pattern! Once I got the crotch in the right place LOL the kitchener had 2 tails like it was supposed to and I pulled and that tightened up beautifully and the leg stitches picked up nicely as well.

(I have to wait to Monday to see the rewriiten pattern because dh needs to print it at work- my home computer has a problem with adobe files)

I'm 3.5 inches down one leg- 5 more to go to the ribbing. I hope to do a little today. I need to knit on my sweater so I don't get a ridge- its been sitting since last Sat.

Happy kniting everyone!

Old 10-11-2003, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Theresa- you do a great job explaining. I looked at the kitchener in the book and my head almost . But when I followed your directions, it was really easy and I'm looking forward to grafing something again.

Old 10-11-2003, 01:30 PM

Julie-I am scared of dpn's! :LOL I have never used them and they just look complicated. I am making the LTK Pumpkin Hats for my little ones and I have been at the part to switch to dpn's to finish up for a week and a half! : I just don't wanna. I need to just be brave and do it. I hate having unfinished projects. I will be working on the shaping on my Longies today.

Monica-The short rounds went great! I liked the way they were all done at once for the Longies verses every few rounds for the soaker pattern. I'm glad things are going better for you.

Chrissy-Where are you? How are the Longies coming?

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 10-12-2003, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Aurora, good luck with the double points. You will be amazed how unscary they are once you get going. I found 4 to be easier (with the 5th needle for knitting) because they sqish inot many shapes and the triangle didn't.

You can always do the 2 circulars like in Socks soar on circular needles if you want to bypass the dps, but I couldn't understand the circulars until I had used double points...

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-13-2003, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Knittin' in the Shade
yay, Julie :0 So glad it's coming along and you figured out the kitchener. I told you-blind faith isn't a bad thing sometimes. It's so hard to descirbe some of these techniques when if we were face to face I could explain in two seconds by showing you. I'm so proud off all of you for doing so well

I usually do 4 dpns, cause I think it's easier to do that way, but it really doesn't matter if it's 3 or 4.
Oh yay! I'm glad I am doing it right.

Aurora~ The dpn's scared me too, but once I tried it, it wasn't as hard as I made it out to be in my head. You just need to try it.

Monica~ I looked at that site for using 2 circulars and it confused me... I have the hang of the dpn's so I don't want to confuse myself any more! lol

My update: I am now on the ribbing of the first leg. I am almost out of yarn so I will get more tomorrow. I also screwed something up when doing the ribbing, so I need help fixing it. ARGH!!! So frustrating when that happens... so now I can't knit till tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

All I can say is- I'm glad Forest doesn't have 3 legs! :LOL I've got one and a half legs done. On the ribbing for the first I could only find one size 4 and one size 3 circular so I did it that way- then halfway thru found the other size 3, but it seems to look OK.

You're doing great, Julie- I know those circulars were so confusing...the lady at the yarn shop showed me and that helped. You are going very fast on the dps! I hope you can get more yarn today.

I also noticed two ridges in my leg knitting where there is like a valley in part of a row on the garter side and it is thin on the knit side and ridges up. It is like part of the row is too far from the one below it. This isn't too noticable with the varigated yarn, but I have no idea why or how I made it do that.

I hope to knit more tonight. I've given up knitting when the kids are up- do your kids try to unravel it and pull the needles out? Forest does.

Old 10-13-2003, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MamaMonica
I also noticed two ridges in my leg knitting where there is like a valley in part of a row on the garter side and it is thin on the knit side and ridges up. It is like part of the row is too far from the one below it. This isn't too noticable with the varigated yarn, but I have no idea why or how I made it do that.
Monica~ You are so fast! I noticed ridges too... I think on that website you posted about using 2 circulars it said that using 2 circulars instead of the dpn's helps avoid "ladders" which is what I think those areas are. Mine are where the needles intersect. It's strange... when you look at it close, there is nothing wrong, but at a distance it looks like a line. I hope it's not too noticible on the right side of the pants. I think it has something to do w/ the tension.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Do your valleys/ridges go horizontal or vertical, Julie? Mine go horizontal. I'm hoping these aren't the dreaded ladders, but I guess they are. I'm wondering if I can reinforce the thin area on the back by weaving a yarn strand in or if that would make an uncomfortable lump.

User Tag List