Longies Knitting Club - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 275 Old 10-17-2003, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I was wondering where I was going to find the time to get Christmas knitting done, but after my trip to L&D yesterday and the official preterm diagnosis, I'm on complete bedrest so I've got tons of knitting time.
#122 of 275 Old 10-17-2003, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry to hear about the complete bedrest, Theresa. I hope that you have enough help so you can take it easy and your little hatchling stays put so he can grow some more,

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#123 of 275 Old 10-17-2003, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MamaMonica
I hope Aurora is having a good babymoon. I wish I was a super fast knitter and could send her some longies! My kids aren't lettting me knit much this week.

Monica-You are so sweet! I know how knitting with little ones is. Your Christmas longies sound terrific!

Welcome Ann!

Theresa- I'm sorry about the preterm stuff again. Stay in bed.

Thanks for the congrats!

I had plans to make the felted mocs for all of us for Christmas too. I don't think I will get to it this year. Baby Toby and I are doing great. He is super sleepy so we are struggling because he likes to sleep at the breast. I haven't finished my birth story but I will this weekend and I'll post a link for you all.

Happy knitting!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#124 of 275 Old 10-17-2003, 07:51 PM

Aurora ~ Happy BabyMoon!

Theresa ~ Sorry about the bedrest.

Monica ~ Your Christmas idea is fantastic! I love it!

Julie ~ :LOL You convinced me! I just ordered the pattern. Now, can you guys tell me what all I'm going to need to buy, or do I have to wait until I get the pattern to find out? I'm SO excited, and I want to start ordering yarn!!!

(I'm guessing that Theresa's bedrest means that the idea for a hand-dyed yarn in Christmas colors is probably not possible now... but I do love several of the other colorways! I'm so excited to get started! )

Anne wife to Phil & mama to Katie
Velvet Blue ::: Seattle Baby/Child/Family Portraits
#125 of 275 Old 10-18-2003, 02:06 AM

I'm done!!!

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...075#post870075

That's my post about it in Diapering.
#126 of 275 Old 10-18-2003, 02:17 AM

Yay Julie! They're gorgeous, and so is the model.

#127 of 275 Old 10-18-2003, 09:38 AM

Julie,

those are GREAT!!! and your sweet boy is even cuter!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#128 of 275 Old 10-18-2003, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah! Great job Bret is adorable, too.

#129 of 275 Old 10-18-2003, 11:16 PM

theresa, i am sorry to hear that you are on bedrest! i hope you don't go too stir crazy and that you are able to get lots of knitting done!

i am at a standstill. it's time for me to start the short rows and i am scared and confused. think i'll check out what my books have to say and if that doesn't help then i'll go to the yarn shop later this week.

#130 of 275 Old 10-19-2003, 03:40 AM

Thanks for the compliments on my Longies. I appreciate the kind words!

Chrissy~ I think the short rows were about the hardest part for me. I had to have my yarn shop ladies help me on those. It wasn't the wrap part that was hard for me, it was knitting the wrap and the stitch together that was difficult. I don't think I could have figured it out w/o help.

Good luck and yay for being to the short rows already!!!
#131 of 275 Old 10-19-2003, 10:25 PM

Okay, total novice boo-boo. I just finished my gauge swatch, and then realized I did it all in garter stitch instead of stockinette. :LOL So, now I get to do it all again. : Fun! :LOL At least I don't have the *real* yarn I want to use yet. I'm practicing with this beautiful teal blue wool, but I really want to get some yarn from Theresa... only I'm not getting any replies to my email. I'm guessing it's because she's on bedrest... but does anyone know if we can still order yarn from her? I'd really like some custom-dyed stuff, or possibly one of the beautiful colorways she already has... did I miss my window of opportunity? Our local yarn shop is nice, but their colors aren't anywhere close to as beautiful as hers.

#132 of 275 Old 10-19-2003, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if Theresa is still sending out yarn. The garter swatch is good practice, though!

#133 of 275 Old 10-20-2003, 01:55 AM

Okay, I have another question... and I'm still on the gauge. :LOL I finished the gauge in stockinette, and I did 18 cast on stitches by 20 rows, like the pattern says. And at the cast on row, it's almost perfectly 4 inches across. But at the bind off row, it's more like 3 inches. And I wonder if I'm *stretching it* to make it 4 inches at the cast on row. : It's entirely possible, since I really don't want to have to buy any more knitting needles. :LOL Anyway, is it likely that I'm a whole INCH off? And if so, how many more needle sizes would I have to move up to be at the right gauge? I was planning to make the longies in the large size... would it work to just make the XL to compensate for my tighter stitches? Or should I try the gauge again, and try really hard to be more consistent with my tension? I'm already lost, and I haven't even started! :LOL

#134 of 275 Old 10-20-2003, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

You may have gotten tighter near the top. Take your gauge somewhere in the middle if its close- also check it maybe you added stitches by trying to make the end loop go way.

If you have a needle guage (I think its about $2 at the fabric store) there is a little ruler for measuring gauge on it that makes it easier. Also, you might need a different needle size. I had to go down to size 5 for the longies (3 for the ribbing) to get the guage- I think veryone else was right on with the 7s. At 5s, though, the longies fit perfectly, so I'm glad I did check the gauge and get the other needles. It saves frustration to make sure your guage matches, then you know the pants will fit after all that work LOL

good luck!

#135 of 275 Old 10-20-2003, 01:02 PM

for a gauge swatch, you should always cast on more than what the gauge says. Normally, I cast on 30 or 35 and knit for about 6 inches. This way, you can measure gauge in the middle fo the swatch where it will be more accurate. At the cast on, it tends to stretch out a bit, and then at the cast off, it tends to pull in a bit. To get a truly accurate gauge measurement, you need to measure stitches in the middle of the swatch
#136 of 275 Old 10-20-2003, 09:13 PM

Thanks Monica and Theresa! I'm redoing the gauge swatch, with 30 cast on stitches. And I'll go to 6 inches and then measure in the middle. That makes perfect sense! I also bought the size 8 circulars, just in case, so I can do the gauge swatch with those tonight if I have to, and see which is closer. And I think I found some yarn I want to use. It's a really pretty cranberry color, which is one of my favorites. I'd like to try to do the contrasting color stuff at the ankles, and use the LTK oatmeal color for that, but is it bad to mix different brands of yarn like that? The stuff I bought is 100% worsted weight wool, and I think the brand is Colombia 220, if that means anything. Would that mix well with the LTK yarn? I feel like I ask the most inane questions. SOrry! :LOL

#137 of 275 Old 10-20-2003, 09:35 PM

Sounds beautiful! I think you'll be fine subbing the yarn for the colorwork, since it's such a small area it won't affect anythign really even if the gauge is off a bit, you can just pull it into shape after the first washing
#138 of 275 Old 10-20-2003, 11:16 PM

Thanks Theresa!
And you don't have to hurry on the color charts on my account. I'm sure it will be ages before I get to that point! :LOL Yay... I'm so excited to get started!!!

#139 of 275 Old 10-22-2003, 01:16 PM

Hey mamas! Your Longies look great!

My poor knitting is so neglected. It's ok though because my little babe is so sweet and cuddly!

I posted a rough draft of my birth story on the Nov/Dec. mamas thread. You will have to scroll down a bit-
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...0&pagenumber=5

Happy knitting!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#140 of 275 Old 10-22-2003, 04:58 PM

breathe in....... breathe out........... breathe in.......... breathe out..........

trying to remain calm.

IT'S NOT WORKING!

ARGHHHHH!!!!! How do you all rip out a few rows without having to rip out the whole thing?

I was just trying to rip out a few rows where I had screwed up the short rows and I ended up having to rip out the whole thing.

On another, much happier note, Aurora, I can't wait to read your birth story!

#141 of 275 Old 10-22-2003, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Chrissy- I'm crying with you on that. It took me awhile not to rip the whole thing because I couldn't figure out how to get to the row I wanted. I've ripped several whole things and WAH The good thing is the second time everything will be even better and your longies will super great

Theresa posted on the "lifeline" earlier in this thread- you take a smaller size needle and insert it in the row you want before you rip.

Aurora, I'm going to read your birth story tonight when I have more time on the computer.

Longies upddate- went out running errands in longies and they were leakproof.

#142 of 275 Old 10-22-2003, 06:16 PM

Chrissy, you can do what's called a *lifeline* which is basically, thread a piece of contrasting color wool onto a yarn needle, and go to the row or two before where you want to rip out to, and pick up each stitch in the row with the yarn needle and thread the yarn through it, that way when you rip, you'll only rip back to that point,a nd the lifeline iwll stop from ripping any further
#143 of 275 Old 10-22-2003, 06:45 PM

oh okay, that makes perfect sense. thanks girls!

#144 of 275 Old 10-22-2003, 07:48 PM

Okay, I think I FINALLY have the gauge and can start these suckers! I might be off by 1 stitch, though. I'm going to check again today with a real gauge counter, not just my little ruler, and see if that helps. :LOL I can't wait to start!!!!!

Chrissy ~ Thank you for asking that, because I was going to ask the same thing! The lady at the yarn shop said you can *un-knit*, but I don't know how to do that, so I would DEFINITELY have been in here, crying with you, if you hadn't asked that!

#145 of 275 Old 10-22-2003, 08:31 PM

Hey Anne, if your gauge is off by one stitch, they you'll have to change needle size. I know one stitch doesn't seem like a lot, but multipy it over a bit and you'll soon figure out that being off by one stitch every four inches will wind up adding about 4 or 5 inches to the width of your longies in the end
#146 of 275 Old 10-22-2003, 09:20 PM

Theresa ~ I was afraid you'd say that. When I was looking at it last night, it looked like it was right on, but then I'd look again, and count an extra stitch. (It was about 2 a.m..... so maybe I was seeing double?) Anyway, I'm just hoping that I'll see the right number of stitches when I check tonight. *fingers crossed*

#147 of 275 Old 10-22-2003, 11:21 PM

Yay! I re-checked, and I'm right on at 18. That's the good news. :LOL The bad news is, I still have too many rows. : How can I fix that?

And I have a couple of really, REALLY silly questions, but here it goes... when you're counting cast-on stitches, do you count the slipknot, or not? And also... is there something special you do to join the two ends of the tube together, or do you just start knitting and let the stitches pull the sides together? Is there a special *join* stitch or something? My book isn't very clear about circular knitting, unfortunately.

Oh, and one more - I'm making the large, but I'm thinking it might be slightly short in the rise (Katie is fairly long-waisted)... how does the pattern seem to run? Is there lots of room, or should I consider making the biggest size so that there's plenty of room in the rise?

#148 of 275 Old 10-22-2003, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

About the rise- I actually decreased half an inch for Forest and he has a fairly long rise- he's 20 months and 25 lbs. You can measure Katie's rise and adjust the pattern.

#149 of 275 Old 10-24-2003, 11:26 PM

Thanks Monica! I'll just keep measuring as I go. I just finished the ribbing and have done my first row of the stockinette, so I'm on my way. I'm getting nervous already about the short rows, though....

#150 of 275 Old 10-25-2003, 08:50 AM

ann, i was terrified of the short rows but really they're easy. i went to a local yarn shop and had the lady there show me how to do it. it is totally easy and theresa's directions really really help too.

i finished my short rows and am almost to the crotch shaping part. woo hoo! i can't wait for these to be done. i'm not sure if i'll have enough yarn. if i have to get more i might do a different color, just to have a cute little bottom stripe. we'll see.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page