When using a serger - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-29-2008, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, I just got a brother overlock machine and have been tring to teach myself how to use it. I was wondering what stitch everyone uses on dipers and mama cloth. I used the 4 thread stitch and it seemed very difficult to go around curves and corners. Maybe too wide? Do you use the 3 thread? I wasn't sure if this would be strong enough to withstand all the washing. I really need alot alot alot of practice, it's quite different from using a regular sewing machine. Is there a trick to rounding curves and corners nicely? I saw somewhere to trim down one edge of the corner flush with where the blade trims the fabric for corners, I haven't tried it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-30-2008, 02:15 PM

I use a 3 thread stitch. Using wooly nylon in your loopers (not the needles, but the thread holders underneath - check your manual) will help with the appearance on the rounded parts. The wooly is stretchy so it will look nicer. Neat serging just takes practice. Some say go fast, some say go slow, you just have to find your "groove".

Amber - married mama of 5. Cloth diaperer, babywearer, homeschooler.
#3 of 6 Old 06-01-2008, 05:47 PM

I had difficulty with curves too when making diapers. Here's what I posted in another forum. Hope it helps!

I learned this in a lesson when I bought my serger and it is invaluable. Make little cuts in the seam allowance of the curve perpendicular to the edge of the fabric. But only in the seam allowance because your serger will cut that part off. Then, when you are serging, pull on the fabric with one hand so that those little snips open up and the curve becomes a straight line. When you stop pulling the curve will return to normal shape and be serged perfectly! I suggest practicing this method on scrap fabric. Let me know if it works for you!

Oh, and I second the wooly nylon and 3-thread. Although, in my experience, wooly nylon can get caught on velcro so if you're using it make laundry tabs too!

Momma to my sweet kiddos DD (2.19.07) and DS (9.27.09) and wife to the most amazing man (7.24.04)
: :
#4 of 6 Old 06-01-2008, 07:11 PM

I use the 4-thread with Wolly Nylon. Actually I am using 4 spools of Woolly Nylon. Is that overkill?
What is the reason to use it only in the loopers and not in the needles?
#5 of 6 Old 06-01-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBinSATX View Post
I use the 4-thread with Wolly Nylon. Actually I am using 4 spools of Woolly Nylon. Is that overkill?
What is the reason to use it only in the loopers and not in the needles?

I think you should use a reg poly thread in your needles, beacuse when the stitches/seams are pulled on, the WN will stretch and your seam will gap open. I the WN does a great job for finishing the edges, but for keeping a tight stitch, poly thread is better. I only use it in my loopers, adn I use my regular thread (like Maxi lock) in my needles.

HTH

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#6 of 6 Old 06-01-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
I think you should use a reg poly thread in your needles, beacuse when the stitches/seams are pulled on, the WN will stretch and your seam will gap open. I the WN does a great job for finishing the edges, but for keeping a tight stitch, poly thread is better. I only use it in my loopers, adn I use my regular thread (like Maxi lock) in my needles.

HTH
That makes sense! Thanks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page