Single ply yarn for soakers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2008, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
DBZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought this beautiful yarn today. It looks like this. It is a single ply yarn (loft - Zitron). Will it be good for a soaker? It is sooo pretty. I can't wait to knit it up.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 08:52 PM

I don't know...in fact, I'm looking forward to the replies you get on this thread, because I have some yarn that looks like it's a very similar texture (though not the same pretty colors), and I'd love to know how it would work for that purpose. If you don't get any answers by some time tomorrow, I might just try it myself as an experiment. (I have LOTS of that yarn, and want to use it somehow. And I'm almost done with my second worsted-weight soaker, which would give me enough to get by while I experiment.)

If it really is like my yarn, I suspect it would felt pretty easily. In fact, I'm thinking about knitting just the body of the soaker, and felting it. Then I'd use regular worsted-weight to knit a ribbed waistband and cuffs, and sew them on. That would give me stretch where I really need it, and improved water-resistance where it would be most useful.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:55 PM

I knit longies out of lambs pride worsted and that is a single ply and it works great! I haven't had any issue with felting- DD felts her cascade ones pretty easy- but the lamb's pride ones are awesome!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 06-01-2008, 11:37 PM

Single ply will tend to felt more than a 2 or 3-ply of the same fiber. But a single ply can work fine. Even a single-ply in merino will work for pre-crawlers. What kind of fiber is it? I wouldn't use single ply merino for a crawler or toddler, but another wool would probably be fine.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
DBZ

My yarn is merino and my baby is just 2 months. From what I've read, it should be fine but it might felt easier and will probably pill. I'm going to go ahead and knit it up. The yarn is too pretty not too.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:50 PM

Post a picture when it's done?

Mine is for an almost-crawler (9 months, and I wish she'd learn to crawl so she'd be less frustrated and maybe shriek less), and I don't know what kind of wool it is. It's Patons Icelandic Wool from some years ago (bought before my almost-7-yo DS was born).

Of course, it's such a small project, I might as well try it and see. If it felts, I'll just do another one larger and felt it on purpose.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:21 AM

I knit a pair of pants in Loft, and they are very soft. They will pill (less than 100purewool though becasue of the way it's spun).

If I were to use it again, I would stick to soakers, because the random color changes made the legs totally different.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:29 AM

I have one soaker knit out of very thin yarn (it was a gift, so I don't know what) and it works fine as long as I lanolize the heck out of it.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 06-20-2008, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter
DBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by liawbh View Post
I knit a pair of pants in Loft, and they are very soft. They will pill (less than 100purewool though becasue of the way it's spun).

If I were to use it again, I would stick to soakers, because the random color changes made the legs totally different.
Thank you for recommending to only use it for soakers. It really bugs me when the color changes are so completely different in the legs.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:24 AM

Glad someone shared my OCD LOL

I think I pulled out almost half a ball trying to find the matching repeat :
Old 06-20-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
Thank you for recommending to only use it for soakers. It really bugs me when the color changes are so completely different in the legs.
I love that! But I also love weird pooling that other people seem to hate so don't listen to me
Old 06-20-2008, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
DBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by liawbh View Post
Glad someone shared my OCD LOL

I think I pulled out almost half a ball trying to find the matching repeat :
Oh I have that OCD bad too LOL. I probably won't do longies with verigated yarn because of it. I have a pair of longies that I got in a raffle at HC. The legs are so different that I didn't put the longies on my DD. I am thinking about unraveling them and making a soaker or donating them to Miracle Diapers or Holiday Helpers.

User Tag List