Show me pictures of your recycled materials diapers! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 86 Old 11-02-2008, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, I'm seeing lots of rr.What are you all stuffing them with?-recycled materials,cpf's,etc...?Thanks, just curious!

:::
#62 of 86 Old 11-23-2008, 12:10 AM

here are two soakers I made- I was very inspired by this thread! I bought a second-hand wool sweater for $2 and made two soakers. Hope this link works (I've never tried to do this before).

http://s454.photobucket.com/albums/q...nt=soakers.jpg

One is for my 4yo son (who still wears diapers at night), and the other are longies for my very good friends' new baby.

My son's looks a little funny, but it is working like a dream.

dissertating mom to three

#63 of 86 Old 11-23-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
Those look GREAT!! Did you use a pattern/instructions, or just wing it? Wow, they look so good, that wool looks lovely. $1 soaker/longies, I love it!

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#64 of 86 Old 11-23-2008, 07:26 PM

I did look at some online tutorials/instructions (at the top of this forum) but I ended up pretty much making it up as I went along. I partly copied the aristocrats cover my son already has for the general size and shape. The sweater had a big turtleneck so I used that for the waistband and then pieced the rest together from there. I wanted plenty of waist and leg-cuff coverage so that there wouldn't be any nighttime leaks from wicking (he only wears diapers at night now). I think because its stretchy they are pretty forgiving.

The pants were so easy- though after I put them together they looked a little to short in the rise, so I added a doubled over waistband at the top where I put through a knitted i-cord, just to make sure there was a enough room for all that diaper to be securely tucked in.

And, yes, I think I also just lucked out on that sweater, which has really nice thick, springy wool.

I am so psyched, my next baby (due late April) is going to have plenty of wool- I had no idea before that I could do it so cheap.

dissertating mom to three

#65 of 86 Old 11-23-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
I partly copied the aristocrats cover my son already has for the general size and shape.
Ah, that's what your soaker reminded me of too! Great job! You new baby is going to have a nice stash.

#66 of 86 Old 12-14-2008, 05:00 PM

I have a ton of diapers pictured on my blog that have been made from other items - t-shirts, receiving blankets, flannel sheets, and more.

http://clothdiapersbusiness.blogspot.com
#67 of 86 Old 12-29-2008, 02:32 AM

http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/oo320/MamaThreeX/

Ok, I've been sewing dipes for a few weeks, that's what I've got so far!
#68 of 86 Old 12-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Oh where to start where to start.... I want to use cloth diapers! lol but I have questions about the RRP is that the only thing I need to make that with inserts? Will that work just like a disposable?

Most of the patterns I've looked at still require a cover of some sort. Or is the RRP just fully water proof if made with a fleece out side?

I want to start making these soon so I'll be ready when baby comes along, but there seems to be a lot of different variables to this all any help is appreciated.

~April
#69 of 86 Old 12-29-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeluray View Post
Oh where to start where to start.... I want to use cloth diapers! lol but I have questions about the RRP is that the only thing I need to make that with inserts? Will that work just like a disposable?

Most of the patterns I've looked at still require a cover of some sort. Or is the RRP just fully water proof if made with a fleece out side?

I want to start making these soon so I'll be ready when baby comes along, but there seems to be a lot of different variables to this all any help is appreciated.

~April
I THINK, if I've read correctly that the RRP's would would work as an All In One if the outer layer is either Malden Mills fleece, which is water-proof fleece or PUL fabric, which is waterproof also. You can buy both online. I am also just starting to cloth diaper, but I've done a lot of research. But I made a RRP and it's supposed to fit as a one-size. But it's HUGE for a newborn, I think, even though I know there's a certain way to fold it to make it work. I got some pocket dipes through Miracle Diapers and they are PUL on the outside so you don't need a cover. I then copied one size-wise, they are smalls. I think they will work well on a newborn. Oh, also with the RRP they are meant to only close with pins or snappis I guess because you fold them to fit the baby, so snaps or velcro isn't going to work as the baby grows. (because it is folded differently) And if you make them one-size-fits-all you also can't pin or snappi on the PUL.(it will make little holes) but with fleece maybe pins will be fine. I think I would make some tiny pocket's or AI1's and then RRP's for when baby is a little bigger. Hope that helps
#70 of 86 Old 12-30-2008, 02:37 AM

2 nb fitteds traced from a Kissaluvs 0. I plan to snappi or pin if needed...may just lay in a cover, or if I decide I want it, I'll sew on velcro.

red 1,red2, red3,red4

purple1, purple2, purple3, purple4

The red one is from an unused bandanna I got at the thrift store and one of my old cotton t-shirts that had a stain on the collar. I did two layers of t-shirt and two layers of thick toweling. The towel was an old yucky looking green towel that was fraying at the edges, but still very absorbent.

The purple one is from a linen shirt someone gave me that I would never wear (don't wear purple myself) and the lining is from some pretty purple and white flannel I got from the thriftstore. Same towel soaker.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#71 of 86 Old 01-01-2009, 04:58 PM

I'm going to be sewing some covers too. What's the best way to make covers and the best materials? I'm mostly interested in NB dipes. You mamas are rocking my world today with your beautiful and industrious handiwork.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#72 of 86 Old 01-02-2009, 03:43 AM

I haven't tried it yet, but I found this pattern online and it looks simple. I'm going to try it with some old felted sweaters I've been saving.

http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/2007...r-pattern.html

If you like wraps, this one looks good, too.

http://diaperfabric.com/sew-a-wool-diaper-cover/

I haven't tried either, but the instructions looked simple enough.

GL!

#73 of 86 Old 01-03-2009, 02:27 AM

Don't waste your wool on the Katrina soaker pattern. Use fleece for the Katrina pattern instead, especially if it's your first go with it. The pattern does have a bit of a learning curve.

Use the sleeves for a pair of longies, and you should be able to get 2 bumsweaters(like an aristocrat) out of the body of the sweater. I had instructions on how to do the bumsweater, but I lost them when I recently had to format/reload.
#74 of 86 Old 01-18-2009, 12:39 PM

Rita's Rump Pockets all the way! Don't have a Little Squisher to put in them yet, but here are some I've been making while I wait:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...erCait/014.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...erCait/001.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...erCait/015.jpg
#75 of 86 Old 01-18-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperCait View Post
Rita's Rump Pockets all the way! Don't have a Little Squisher to put in them yet, but here are some I've been making while I wait:

Those are so CUTE!! They look beautifully made.

#76 of 86 Old 01-18-2009, 09:25 PM

Here's four small soakers made from a couple wool sweaters using the Katrina's pattern.

I've also made eight diapers. They're not all from recycled materials but in the first picture the striped one was made from an old t-shirt of mine and the sheep one was made from a fabric scrap. In the second picture the turtle one was made from another old t-shirt of mine and the robot one from another fabric scrap.

Picture one.
Picture two.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#77 of 86 Old 02-24-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapadoozer View Post
Here's four small soakers made from a couple wool sweaters using the Katrina's pattern.

I've also made eight diapers. They're not all from recycled materials but in the first picture the striped one was made from an old t-shirt of mine and the sheep one was made from a fabric scrap. In the second picture the turtle one was made from another old t-shirt of mine and the robot one from another fabric scrap.

Picture one.
Picture two.
Those are all really great! Do you like the Katrina pattern for wool?

#78 of 86 Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
Those are all really great! Do you like the Katrina pattern for wool?
Thanks!

Love the Katrina pattern! They sew up so quick & easy. Still waiting to test the fit on a real baby though. However they do look fabulous on dd's baby doll.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#79 of 86 Old 02-26-2009, 07:53 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3575761...n/photostream/

This is made from an old tea towel, with flannel on the inside.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#80 of 86 Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 PM

Fifteen down, one to go!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ktmama/...7603815269361/

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#81 of 86 Old 02-26-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperCait View Post

Those look great! Can you link the pattern please?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#82 of 86 Old 02-26-2009, 06:50 PM

How come some you cant view some of the pic's? Anyone else having the same issue?
#83 of 86 Old 02-28-2009, 11:10 PM

:

2004 2009
#84 of 86 Old 03-01-2009, 10:56 AM

I've been inspired to try to make my own diapers by all of your great photos and am going to start out w/recycled materials. I read a different thread somewhere on here how to "prep" recycled material to "strip"? them and make them more absorbent. BUT I can't find that thread anywhere- I tried to do a search too- Can someone please post a link to the thread, if you know which I am talking about? Or maybe start a new thread w/the how tos?

Thank you.And someday I hope to return to this thread and post pics- that is if I can make one AND figure out how to post links and pics.lol
#85 of 86 Old 02-06-2010, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi ladies

I just started making my own cloth diapers and I love the RRP pattern!

I read on a website somewhere that you can use old shower curtains sown between 2 layers of fabric to make the diapers waterproof - would this work?

I'd be concerned about the breathability of the dipe, and also the toxins in the plastic curtains - although since it wouldn't actually be touching dd's skin, I don't know if that would be an issue.

What about using an old unbrella sown in between fabric? Do you think that would work?

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#86 of 86 Old 02-06-2010, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Some pics expire,so they can't be seen.

fairymom and bluedaisy-I would worry about breathability and toxins and leaking at the seam.But if you stripped (boiled) it really well,(not sure how this would not melt plastic-maybe cut first and keep from edges?)and made a liner or soaker-even sewn in under the extra absorbant material area just in the middle...it could be a good thing?I might try that myself!I've been thinking this but with felted wool.Also, you can post a pic!I know you can!I learned to post pics for this too

:::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page