The best newborn patter. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-06-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't start CDing DS until he was several months so I have no newborn dipes. We are tight on the money aspect and I have looked around at tutorials but which newborn patterns do YOU like the best?

I plan on repurposing old fabric and will probably make a run to goodwill for more fabric.

Hit me with all the newborn dipe info!!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#2 of 14 Old 06-06-2008, 10:11 PM

What type of diapers are you wanting to make? Fitteds, AIOs, etc?

Amber - married mama of 5. Cloth diaperer, babywearer, homeschooler.
#3 of 14 Old 06-06-2008, 10:29 PM

my new favorite for NB diapers (as I am just in the NB stage myself, having started with DS at 6 mos, but 4 week old DD is cloth only since birth) is the Hippy Hippy Snap pattern... that assumes you can do snaps, of course. It fits great... the NB size looks so small, but fits perfect from day one, and if you do it in knits... DD can still fit in her knit HHSs on the first snap setting... and she can now also just fit into her small diapers, to give a reference... they were huge and swimming on her when she was born. she was 7 lbs 12 oz, and the HHS fit perfect.

If you do nto snap... I'm not sure... I think all but one of my NB diapers are snap diapers, lol. I have a Fattycakes Diaper that was done with aplix, but they are normally a snap diaper too... and aplix doesn't seem to work as well with FC diapers.

a pattern you may be interested in is the Dear Darling Unlimited... it is a PDF pattern, so you get it within like 24 hours (sooner if she is online at the right time, lol, and it has options for practically every size and type of diaper you will ever be interested in. literally, the reason it is a PDF is because it is like 50+ pages, or something like that, and would be way expensive to print and ship. I understand that most people just print the pages they need only.

Theresa, Mom to DS 4-6-06, and DD 5-11-08, and another on the way anyday.
WAHM behind Crystal City Fibers on Etsy.
#4 of 14 Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, what type of dipes.... we did prefolds and covers so I have a huge stash of those and got used to using those.

Which is easiest to sew? I'm not an expert at sewing and I do not have a serger I sure wish I did but those suckers are expensive!!!

What do you all think of this pattern? http://www.buriedtreasureln.com/phsn.htm
It looks fairly easy.

tschecter- thanks! I'll look into those patterns

#5 of 14 Old 06-07-2008, 12:45 AM
dis

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Take a look at the Mama Bird pattern. I admit I haven't actually tried it yet (I've been making the Dear Darling newborns from the DD free pattern), but it's next on my list.
#6 of 14 Old 06-07-2008, 08:10 AM

FYI the mama bird pattern fits LARGE. I've tried it and the crotch seems a bit big. I really like Shar's newborn pattern with the umbilical scoop or the Wee Weka pattern (both free on the Nappy Network). I've also made the free Darling Diaper pattern since it works so well with knits (t-shirt material). Also, you might want to try the Not So Flat Wrap since it's so simple. I also don't have a serger or a snap setter, and the patterns listed above all work well topstitched and turned with touchtape.

HTH!
#7 of 14 Old 06-07-2008, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Uh oh, topstitched and then turned with touchtape? I'll have to learn what that means!! Maybe I'm going in over my head!!

#8 of 14 Old 06-07-2008, 01:20 PM
dis

Heh, turned then topstiched - sew your pieces together right sides facing, leaving a hole, turn so the right sides are out, then topstich around the edges of the whole thing to finish. Touchtape is a type of velcro, but way better than the stuff you buy at the fabric store because it stands up to a lot more washing/abuse. Another good brand is called Aplix.
#9 of 14 Old 06-07-2008, 07:26 PM

Hehe, yeah turned and topstitched All I know is that it's not serged!

There's this whole debate about what's best : touchtape versus aplix. I honestly just bought what was available to me at Fabricville and avoided Velcro altogether cause I heard it didn't stand up well to washing.

FWIW, I learned a whole lot on the diaper divas board....so many useful picture-based tutorials for total dunces like moi
#10 of 14 Old 06-07-2008, 08:08 PM
dis

I had no idea what turning and topstitching was until I started sewing diapers! the whole concept of topstitching was a revelation, let me tell you! I'm actually a much better seamstress since I started making diapers - for example, I've finally learned the value of using LOTS of pins, rather than just slapping things together and figuring I can wing it. 3 minutes spent pinning actually saves so much frustration and gives a much better finished product! And I've learned so much from the Divas.
#11 of 14 Old 06-08-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
Hmmm, what type of dipes.... we did prefolds and covers so I have a huge stash of those and got used to using those.

Which is easiest to sew? I'm not an expert at sewing and I do not have a serger I sure wish I did but those suckers are expensive!!!

What do you all think of this pattern? http://www.buriedtreasureln.com/phsn.htm
It looks fairly easy.

tschecter- thanks! I'll look into those patterns
hmmm I do not see a pattern that link took me to a vitamin ad
#12 of 14 Old 06-08-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofysmommy View Post
hmmm I do not see a pattern that link took me to a vitamin ad
my bad,
http://handmadebyrita.blogspot.com/2...t-pattern.html

#13 of 14 Old 06-10-2008, 01:14 AM

well I have te same question and so far Ive been making ritas rump pockets which someone else posted a link to. But considering that I have never actually seen a newborn baby in real life (or for that matter anyone under the age of 6weeks or so...) I am not sure how it will fit.. it does appear to be very adjustable though
#14 of 14 Old 06-10-2008, 08:17 AM

Aurora...if you're making RRPs for newborn, consider shrinking the pattern down to 85% and lengthening the wings back out again. From everything I've read on the divas' board, RRPs might be a bit big for a newborn.

Here's a comparison shot between a Shar's newborn and a shrunken down RRP...pretty much the same size:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...dsmallRRPs.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page