Crafty Tribe!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Come one, come all crafters to chat and discuss crafting in the CRAFTY TRIBE. All craft-related banter welcome, but please remember swaps, co-ops, business posts, advertising, etc should not take place on this thread.

Welcome!! Maybe we should re-introduce ourselves? I'm Grace, I make bath products, do collage, and thrift and repurpose stuff. I am currently looking into book-making and paper-making as new craft outlets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 01:05 PM

: I am actually new to the craft momas tribe. But I do just about all of the craft swaps. I am huge into crafting. It is way cheaper than therapy.

I am Candice, I love to sew (children's things mostly, I HATE patterns so I make up my own most of the time), I also love to scrapbook (and card making) I love photography (kind of goes with scrapbooking I guess) and I have a ton of beads and hemp for jewelry making which is a blast.

My new journey is embroidery. I would love to teach myself how to do it. I think it is beautiful and I love the history behind it : I have fond memories of some of my mothers work.
#3 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'd like to learn to embroider too. It just seems so...civilized, you know? Like a lost art. And I really really wish I could sew, but I've tried, and it just makes me crazy.
#4 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 01:39 PM

Hand Embroidery is so hard for me to get. My little stitches look so sad.

Now machine embroidery.... that's a different story. I : my embroidery machine, even though it's a PITA sometimes.
#5 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 02:08 PM

I do a little of this and that. I agree, crafting is cheaper than therapy! When I'm not working or dissertating, you can find me making soap, knitting, crocheting, making fun toys and jewelry out of felt, embroidering, sewing (I too hate patterns), making stuffed animals, painting, scrap booking, and repurposing just about everything in order to save money and prove how clever I am! I hand make nearly all my gifts. My current passion is also to find cool craft projects to do with my soon to be 2 DS. Crafters Rock!
#6 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 02:52 PM

I'm here! Right now I'm working on some "abstract quilt" notecards. I'm so happy with how they are turning out!

I sew, I dye, I knit mediocrely (is that a word?) I cook.

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#7 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yay!

I love sewing, scrapbooking, embroidery, applique, making dolls and more. I've done a bit of knitting, but I don't have the patience to do it "right" (i.e. I never make that swatch you are supposed to make). I am also a really slow knitter. But I did make a pair of mittens once that turned out cute! I would love to learn how to knit socks someday.

My latest project was sewing some curtains for our playstructure so the kids wouldn't be looking into our neighbors' yards when they are up there. They turned out cute and make it like a little playhouse up there.
#8 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 04:11 PM

I am here too, I was so confused about how the tribe is in Arts and Crafts and not in the tribal area..lol

I'm Kara-I felt(both wet and needle), I am a beginner seamstress(notice the word STRESS in there..yeah..lol), I like to try to do scrapbooking stuff, I make vinyl decals of all shapes and sorts, I make custom flash cards, I am semi-good at dyeing things, I can cook lots of yummy stuff when it isn't a million degrees here!

I love to learn new stuff and am a VERY visual learner, so video tutorials are my friend

This group of FAB mamas has inspired me to do great things(or at least in my own mind! LOL)- I : this group!

I am working on all kinds of projects right now that I haven't done before like a felt mailbox set like one I have that was WAAAYY overpriced..lol..some fabric notebook covers, necklace stringing,

I host the Crafty People Unite yahoo group too(where all kinds of things we aren't supposed to talk about here are rampant..lol), click on the smilie in my signature for a link to the group!

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#9 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 04:45 PM

Hi, I'm Jenny. I sew mostly but I also really enjoy hand embroidery and marble dyeing.

I'd love to learn knitting and crocheting but whenever I look at knit or crochet patterns my head hurts. Maybe someday...

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#10 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 05:02 PM

Jenny~ I'm the same way about knitting patterns. I'm almost stubbornly refusing to learn how to read them. So I just knit big pieces of flat fabric that I then sew and felt into bags.

#11 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Do any of you shop at Michael's for your craft supplies? 50% off any one item until Saturday.
#12 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 05:28 PM

HI lovelies!
I'm here. I'm Saamy. I make stuff of the crafty persuasion. I'm tired and need a nap, so I'll dish more later.
Oh! And I just found my scroll saw in the garage! I thought I wouldnt be able to make wood toys, but maybe now I can. It was waaaay back in the corner, not in its case! My baby! Thats what I get for letting my babysitter's boyfriend clean our garage for extra $$. Now my lil saw is packed in its case where it belongs, but I did just roam the woods and started cutting for a small treehouse/gnome home. yay. ok, gotta go

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#13 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 08:13 PM

Im here, Im here!

Ill be back! Off to sit in a girl scouts leaders meeting
#14 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 09:27 PM

I'm sooooo excited about all the wool sweaters I've just received! I'm making bunches of longies and some capris with pockets! I'll post photos when finished!

#15 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 09:29 PM

Oh Saamy, I love the idea of a little gnome home! I can't wait to see pictures!

#16 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Joining! I love crafting things. I make wool playfood out of wool sweaters and blankets I find at the thrift store. I do those by hand with the blanket stitch using perle cotton embroidery floss from JoAnn's.

I scrapbook and make cards, when I have time and table space. I am learning how to dye clothes.

I also machine sew, but only really easy things like pillowcases, curtain panels, etc. I am terrible at sewing clothes, or using a pattern.

I am interested in all natural toys and kids clothes, and I am learning slowly. I am trying to replace all the plastic toys with things my DD will actually play with a lot.

I also like to repurpose things I find at garage sales, paint old stuff and things like that. I have done a little woodworking, but I don't have many tools yet.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#17 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 11:10 PM

hi I'm Dara. not much time to post now, but will be back!

Dara Mommy to Gabbie (4/05) , Zachary (6/07) , and Simon (8/10)
#18 of 285 Old 06-10-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia View Post
I also like to repurpose things I find at garage sales, paint old stuff and things like that. I have done a little woodworking, but I don't have many tools yet.
I am doing this too! I am custom painting a crib and changing table probably this weekend. I can't decide if I want to keep it or sell it when I am done

And I am making a kitchen and grocery store from old entertainment centers too!

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#19 of 285 Old 06-11-2008, 03:06 AM

I'd like to join in too! My name is Amanda. I paint, scrapbook, embroider, and I am "trying" to learn to knit and sew!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia View Post
I also like to repurpose things I find at garage sales, paint old stuff and things like that.
I am just starting to get into this too!

So is anyone planning what to make for Christmas gifts (or is that a whole thread in itself )
#20 of 285 Old 06-11-2008, 03:21 AM

I'm thinking about it...Christmas gifts, that is. I've got four LOs so I should probably get going.

The husband wants me to make traditional kilts for everyone......he's nuts.

#21 of 285 Old 06-11-2008, 06:21 AM

I'm here too. I'm predominantly a knitter and spinner, but I'm teaching myself to sew as well. I used to do a lot of hand embroidery, actually, but just haven't bothered recently- I think you've inspired me.
I'm intending to give DD a big, beautiful dolls house for Xmas, and my 9yo is getting a piratical hat. That's about as far as I've got with planning so far, but neither of my two youngest actually have stockings : Must do something about that...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#22 of 285 Old 06-11-2008, 09:49 AM

Hiya Crafty Mamas! Lapsed scrapbooker here. I'm currently doing a major declutter of the house. Next step is to organize my supplies and find them a dedicated home so that I can set up a scrapbooking area for myself. Maybe that'll get me back on track and I can begin to catch up.

Putting on my mod hat for a moment, just FYI and a gentle reminder so this threads stays within the UA and can remain on the boards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatolea View Post
I am here too, I was so confused about how the tribe is in Arts and Crafts and not in the tribal area..lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules Stickied at the Top of Finding Your Tribe
Welcome to Finding Your Tribe!

Finding Your Tribe is forum for like-minded people to come together. Originally began as a place to find the people in your neighborhood, it has evolved into a place where like-minded parents can congregate and chat about daily life.

5. Please do not start threads here that take the place of conversations in other forums:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher
Though Finding Your Tribe was originally opened to help parents find each other based on their location we have welcomed tribe threads for parents of a like-minded path to meet and chit chat with one another. However, such threads should not take a focus of discussion for a topic that is hosted in an existing forum at MDC.

A natural course of chit chat discussion might carry you into discussing your daily lives and sharing events and struggles. But focused discussion of a parenting topic, a breastfeeding issue or problem, an activist or political issue, a religious concern or belief, just to name a few, should go to the appropriate forum for discussion with the larger MDC community. If you have any question in this regard feel free to check with the moderators before posting. Should you post or thread not be appropriate for FYT on this basis it may be moved to the appropriate forum.

Posts that belong in other forums will be moved.
So that's why.

Also, all references to swapping, selling, trading, etc. (be it *wink wink* or blatant) that are taking place here on MDC or elsewhere on the 'net will be deleted and would get this thread removed again.

Quote:
3. Swaps, co-ops, free for shipping posts, trades, and for sale posts are not allowed. If money or goods are changing hands in any way, it must take place in the Trading Post. You can read more about the TP guidelines here. Likewise, you may not advertise your business or services or fundraise.
So I am asking you to please post as avengingophelia requested in the original post in this thread (she was given those guidelines from both the User Agreement and the administrators who reviewed the last thread). Per the guidelines, she asked where it should go and was told here in Crafts, since this *is* the Crafty Mama chat. So thanks avengingophelia for getting this back up and running that way!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#23 of 285 Old 06-11-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post
So is anyone planning what to make for Christmas gifts (or is that a whole thread in itself )
I am! I've already made my mom a purse and I am trying to brainstorm up some other ideas. I like to give everyone at least one handmade gift.

Grace- Thanks for the link to the Michael's coupon!

#24 of 285 Old 06-11-2008, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

I don't generally make gifts (the times I've tried it has ended up being more expensive than buying them would have been), but I definitely thrift gifts, and I work on that all year 'round. Small friends are the easiest to thrift for, then my mom.

Man, now I want a thrifting mamas tribe too...
#25 of 285 Old 06-11-2008, 10:25 AM

Here I am! I do tie dye, and turtle makes jewelry.
#26 of 285 Old 06-11-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post

I need to start planning! But I need to get through DDs bday (tomorrow!) and DS Bday (August) first. Then I need to concentrate on making wool socks for us all. Then I can start with Christmas! Im hoping to be started on christmas gifts in October. That should give me plenty of time.
#27 of 285 Old 06-11-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
I don't generally make gifts (the times I've tried it has ended up being more expensive than buying them would have been), but I definitely thrift gifts, and I work on that all year 'round. Small friends are the easiest to thrift for, then my mom.

Man, now I want a thrifting mamas tribe too...

I'd join

I LOVE thrifting gifts. I found a few really nice things for DDs Bday at the thrift. A brand new kids leather journal for .99. A hip looking handmade skirt with a tag on it that said $55 (I think it was in an art fair or something) & I got it for .90! The wool yarn Im using to knit her monster was 1.50 for 2 skeins of nice wool!
#28 of 285 Old 06-11-2008, 11:20 AM

I wish we lived closer to a good thrift store. The only ones we have nearby are expensive and have lousy selection. I used to be able to count on my local thrift for cool fabric, vintage patterns & notions but it seems like they stopped carrying all of those things. It's quite sad.

#29 of 285 Old 06-11-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Done.

It is amazing how regional it is, Scrap. I feel very fortunate to live/have lived in such excellent thrift towns (Portland and now Austin). But I know a lot of folks here would consider my stores too expensive, too.
#30 of 285 Old 06-11-2008, 05:38 PM

Sorry about that, got it, no more swap talk.

Ok, so today I cut the roof pieces for my gnome home, and started whittling the edges. yay. I'm taking a break for a bit, then I'll probably work on it a little more.

My digital camara is pissing me off. The camera works, the program is installed, but it wont upload pics. I think our new computer may be too advanced for my old digi cam. I truly hope not...
I want to show off my crafties!!!

Got a few new supplies today. We dont have a craft supply store near us, such a bummer. Do you ladies have nice shops near you?

Oh, and good to see you Frog!!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page