making wool diaper cover--help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2003, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found a wool flannel coat for $1 at a tag sale. It's soft and a beautiful burgundy/maroon color and I think would be adorable as a cover or 2. But I've never made a cover with this type of material--only knit and felted knit. Does anyone have any links or info on patterns I could use. I dont have a serger. Will that be a problem? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2003, 02:25 AM

Hmm.. I'm not up on all my wool varieties, but I would toss it into the washer & dryer repeatedly to felt it up. Then I would just cut it according to your normal cover pattern (1 or 2 layers depending on thickness). You do not need a serger. If you want to do a mock serged edge, just zig zag next to the edge or let the "zig" go off the fabric.

HTH!

check out diapershop.com hmmm... diaperfabric.com ? ... find engineermama @ the diapering board & follow her linkie to her page -- I think she has a bunch of links. I'll look for some linkie's for sure later, but I need to get to sleep! See if I can catch some quality s!
Old 10-12-2003, 03:09 AM

If it's wool flannel you "should" only need one layer b/c once it's felted it will be REALLY thick.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

I cut out a big piece and washed & dried it hot to see what would happen and it did get really thick--not too thick though. I cut out the triangle and used a turquoise sweater for leg and waist bands. It's all pinned and ready to be sewed and I'm excited. I wish I had my digital camera to post the final product, but it's in storage. Thanks for the links and help.

User Tag List