Embroidery newbie -- help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-16-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I want to embroider some onesies for DD, but I've never done it before. I talked to the woman at the fabric store about it, and she told me to iron the facing on the inside of the onesie before I embroider, but I can tell that the facing on the embroidered onesie I bought was put on after the embroidery was done (because the threads are underneath it) -- which way is right?

Also, these are the supplies I got last night -- do I need anything else, or does anyone have some general tips for me?

Embroidery floss
Small embroidery hoop
Facing
Washable fabric pen
Needles

Thanks so much!

ETA: I found these cool little embroidery stitch training sessions on YouTube -- you all probably already know how to do it, but if there are any other newbies like me out there, maybe these will be helpful!

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-16-2008, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I did embroidery on a onesie for a friend I didn't use facing at all. I could see putting it on before as it would make the fabric stiffer & a little easier to work on - but then you're embroidery hoop helps pull it tight to make it easier to work on anyway. I always worry that the facing would be irritating to baby's skin.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 10 Old 07-16-2008, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't use the facing either. Maybe if it were a garment for me and would be worn a million times, but this will only be worn and washed for a few months, not years. My embroidered onesies held up fine in the wash.

If you are looking for fun patterns. . . sublime stitching (google it) has several iron ons in one package, really fun stuff. Also, there are some other sites, I started a thread a few weeks or month ago, I think you can click on my name to see what posts I've started to get the links.

Thanks for youtube link, I only know 2 stitches so far!

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#4 of 10 Old 07-17-2008, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Great points -- thanks, I won't worry about the facing.

I practiced all the stitches on the YouTube link last night, and it was fun! The only one I couldn't get right was the French knot.

One more question -- if I want to embroider down by the hip of the onesie, kind of close to the edge, I can't really use the embroidery hoop, right? It seems like it'd be awkward to embroider without the tautness that the hoop gives the fabric -- should I just wait to embroider areas like that until I'm more proficient?

#5 of 10 Old 07-18-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
One more question -- if I want to embroider down by the hip of the onesie, kind of close to the edge, I can't really use the embroidery hoop, right? It seems like it'd be awkward to embroider without the tautness that the hoop gives the fabric -- should I just wait to embroider areas like that until I'm more proficient?
I mostly embroider on wovens, which is significantly easier to deal with than knits. I think you need to be careful not to stretch knits too much when embroidering or else the entire piece can become misshapen. While a hoop certainly makes it easier to handle, I think you may not need it at all when working on a knit. If you really want to use one, maybe use a small hoop. Good luck!
#6 of 10 Old 07-18-2008, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I actually don't use a hoop myself - just never got in a habit of it.

For the french knot a lot of time the descriptions say to go back down in the exact same hole as you came up - but I find I often end up pulling the whole thing through like that so I usually go back down as close as possible without using the same hole. Also you need to be careful not to pull too hard or you'll pull the knot right through. It's definitely my least favourite stitch.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 10 Old 07-18-2008, 03:25 PM

I've never used a washable fabric pen, just the iron on transfers.

Oh, and I recommend getting size 28 needles. They pierce the fabric beautifully and larger ones you have to force through and are tougher.
#8 of 10 Old 07-27-2008, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

I'm sure this will look amateurish to most of you guys, but I just have to share my first embroidery attempt -- I'm so proud, and DD looks adorable in her new shirt! (Sorry for the picture quality, I took it on my cell phone.)

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m...embroidery.jpg

#9 of 10 Old 07-27-2008, 09:27 PM

That's adorable!! I tried to embroider on a onesie and it didn't turn out nearly that well. Did you end up using a hoop or interfacing??
#10 of 10 Old 07-27-2008, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyjunki View Post
That's adorable!! I tried to embroider on a onesie and it didn't turn out nearly that well. Did you end up using a hoop or interfacing??
Thanks!

I just used a hoop, but it was pretty hard because the fabric is so stretchy and pliable, so it still moved quite a bit when I sewed. My MIL gave me this stuff called RinsAway, a water soluble backing that you can use and then I guess it just washes away -- I might give that a try next time to give the fabric a little more stability while I'm working on it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page