Mothering Forum banner

Anyone get sore hands from knitting?

2K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  ParisApril 
#1 ·
Lately I have been knitting more and my left thumb is killing me. Does anyone else have this problem?

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
Lately I have been knitting more and my left thumb is killing me. Does anyone else have this problem?
i haven't been knitting a super-lot, but i did notice yesterday that when i finished a few rows and put my project away my left thumb was really hurting. interesting!

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by salty View Post
i haven't been knitting a super-lot, but i did notice yesterday that when i finished a few rows and put my project away my left thumb was really hurting. interesting!
Me too. Are we holding the needles wrong or something? I had to take an advil it hurt so bad!

#8 ·
I have a callous on my right pointer finger from knitting... But I do notice, if I am doing something particularly tight (amigurumi - knit & crochet) or something super repetative (stockinette in the round forever) my hands get achy. So I try to have a couple little projects (dishcloths, hats) going that use different sized needles &/or different techniques to mix things up.

#10 ·
Sometimes the combo of yarn and needles can put strain on your hands. I find that some yarns just don't slide very easily over some needles. So, I usually have a couple of different projects (using different yarns) so I can switch it up to avoid the sore hands.

#13 ·
If you hand is going tingly / numb from the thumb to the middle finger while knitting, you could be developing a repetitive disorder. Shake the hands out every so often. Try a different knitting style that puts less stress on the hands.

I have carpal, so I only knit for about 5 minutes at a time, stop for a couple of minutes, then start again.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angi View Post
I have carpal, so I only knit for about 5 minutes at a time, stop for a couple of minutes, then start again.
Sorry to butt in, but could I ask you a question? What does that feel like? Is it a sharp pain or short of an ache? I'm asking because earlier in the year, I was doing a ton of crocheting, but then my wrist started to get achy. Every time I crocheted it would start to ache, so I quit crocheting for several months. It didn't bother me knitting because it's a different motion, but I was still super careful, and pretty much quit all yarn crafts for a while. Now I am crocheting again, but never for more than an hour at a time (for the day and usually less). Sometimes I'm fine and sometimes it will start to ache - at which point I stop. I'm just wondering if I am starting to get carpal tunnel in my wrist. It's freaking me out a bit, but I really don't want to give up crochet! I love it.

#16 ·
Make sure to do lots of stretching and avoid working for more than 30 minutes without a break. One thing to look out for, is to try to keep your wrists straight, as if you had a ruler taped to the back of your hand and arm.

If you search the Knitting Olympics posts on Yarn Harlot's blog, she had a link to some good exercises for yarn crafters.

#18 ·
It hurt my whole hand. I just thought maybe it was from all the times i broke my wrists.

#20 ·
When I first learned to knit, I found my hands got sore. That was, in fact, why I stopped for 10 years or so. Since I picked it up again though, not having the problem very much. I think it was mostly stress related, and possibly that I was knitting with cotton on slippery metal. Bamboo makes me happy now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.