Anyone start Christmas crafting yet? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 319 Old 08-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok so im planning on making placemats and going green baskets (cloth grocery bag, yummy handmade soap, knit washcloth and dish scrubbie, and maybe something else) for my mother in law and sister in law is this a bad idea?

will they think its a strange gift?
#122 of 319 Old 08-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Banned

gavin-library bag, slippers, t- shirt pants

lily- library bag, slippers, felt dress me up doll, t-shirt pants http://www.rookiemoms.com/make-some-easy-kids-pants/

j's mom- place mats, going green gift basket

maranda- going green gift basket

naiema- i spy bag, felt dress me up doll

marissa- i spy bag, felt dress me up doll

tami and kira journal jars and a pair of earrings http://organizedchristmas.com/childs-journal-jar

owen- knit hat

matt and jodie-

dad - car organizer http://www.organizedchristmas.com/in...w-simple-gifts

barbara-

mom- something for the kitchen (shes getting a new kitchen)

fil-

chris-

ryan-

chloie- journal jar

beth- knit bath scrubbie, yummy homemade soap

dylan-
#123 of 319 Old 08-22-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia760 View Post
ok so im planning on making placemats and going green baskets (cloth grocery bag, yummy handmade soap, knit washcloth and dish scrubbie, and maybe something else) for my mother in law and sister in law is this a bad idea?

I think the stuff you are planning on putting together is useful enough that even if they're not into the "going green"part it will still be a lovely gift.

#124 of 319 Old 08-22-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia760 View Post

Yeah, what Rere said. I would love getting a gift like this myself.
#125 of 319 Old 08-23-2008, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post

Oh, I also plan to make T-shirt pants for most of DS's toddler friends. I buy T's for a quarter at thrift stores and can crank out a pair of pants in about 15 minutes. Comfy, cheap and super cute!
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I want to hear more about this and see pictures! How do you do these?

Also - what are wool dryer balls that everyone is making?
#126 of 319 Old 08-23-2008, 11:29 PM

Never mind, I finished reading the thread, lol.

I still need to find out what the dryer balls are...
#127 of 319 Old 08-24-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy589 View Post
Never mind, I finished reading the thread, lol.

I still need to find out what the dryer balls are...
Here's a tutorial:

http://www.thegoodmama.com/index.php...roducts_id=724

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#128 of 319 Old 08-24-2008, 09:38 AM

Oh thank you! i can do that! How much yarn does it take? I'd be using Patons or Lion Brand or something, does it take a whole skein just for one, or can you get two from a skein? I'm adding this to my list to make for Christmas. I'm thinking of a going green basket too, you guys are inspiring me!
#129 of 319 Old 08-24-2008, 10:32 AM

I finished a some pencil holders.

My sister is a new teacher so I thought I would make her some cute things for her desk.I'm going to add decorated magazine boxes to the pencil holders but I'm drawing a blank on other things to make.Any ideas?

#130 of 319 Old 08-24-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
I finished a some pencil holders.

My sister is a new teacher so I thought I would make her some cute things for her desk.I'm going to add decorated magazine boxes to the pencil holders but I'm drawing a blank on other things to make.Any ideas?
Those are great! What did you use to make it? Is it just a coffee can or something?
#131 of 319 Old 08-24-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
Those are great! What did you use to make it? Is it just a coffee can or something?
Thanks!

Yes,they're coffee cans... and fabric scraps.

#132 of 319 Old 08-24-2008, 04:32 PM

I've decided on a few things:

http://organizedchristmas.com/printa...ld-journal-jar

I am going to use the suggestions to have my 7 yo write about some different things, one on each page. I'm going to ask my 3 yo the questions and write down her answers. Then I am going to put pictures of them or pictures they drew on each page, bind several pages together, and give them to all of the grandparents and aunts and uncles.

For my older two nieces I want to make French Memory boards (I may make them for two younger nieces also) I haven't decided what colors to do them in yet. I'm thinking about their favorite football team's colors :

http://www.organizedchristmas.com/french-memory-board

For my girls I want to make a play kitchen with felt food. I also like this cart:

http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/childs_walker.html

They like to dress up, so a few costumes will be in order. I really wish that I could sew or knit but I am hopeless at both! LOL I would really like to make them pioneer style bonnets and a matching dresses, but I am so not there skill wise.
#133 of 319 Old 08-25-2008, 12:22 PM

mamafreya, thanks for the ideas. i was thinking of making this purse for a couple people so that works!

i did a couple things this weekend. i repurposed a garage sale shirt into a twirly dress-up skirt for dd and a tank top bag for her bean bags. I also sewed up some bean bags ready for filling. DH is building a bean bag game board I designed. It will have holes of various sizes to throw the bean bags into. I'll post some picks in a little bit. I'm so excited to be making things! Other than a few clearance toys i've already picked up for nieces and such this will be a totally hand made Christmas! I'm crafting and dehydrating and baking everything on my list!! Yeah! Well, other than stocking stuffers I guess....

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#134 of 319 Old 08-25-2008, 12:53 PM

Sarahn4639, That's a great purse, totally cute. I made one similar to that a couple months ago and I really like it. Your cousin will love it.

This thread has got me so "in the mood" for crafting. Now I just need to figure out what I am going to be making for everyone.
#135 of 319 Old 08-25-2008, 03:39 PM

okay here's the skirt. i just cut the top and side, stitched the side closed and hemed and folded the top to encase elastic, done!

the tank bag is a child's tank top. turn inside out, sew bottom closed and reverse to have a bag! so cute and easy! i sewed the sides up some and pleated the center to pull it in to give it more shape. i also embriodered? hand stitched? some to give it a little flair. without the stitching it took all of 5 min for the whole thing.

#136 of 319 Old 08-25-2008, 04:58 PM

your link to the skirt doesn't work, it just shows me the tank, which is great btw!
#137 of 319 Old 08-25-2008, 07:04 PM

oops! thanks mercy, i think it's fixed. and thanks for the compliment. i love things that are fast and easy, instant gratification!

#138 of 319 Old 08-27-2008, 05:32 PM

Ooooo what a great thread! Just the inspiration I needed to start getting my butt in gear this year with plenty of time to actually complete the gifts I'd like to give

I always have such grand intentions, but never end up getting 'round to it until it's really too late, then I panic, quick try to rush and make everything, explode into a thousand stressed out pieces, give up, not get anything done. Then I go insane trying to find thoughtful / personal / useful store bought gifts, which I don't think is even possible, get really sad, give up, and end up buying crappy last minute gifts : So ashamed.

I'm loving all the ideas!

MonkeyPrincess - I also have a great, burning desire for that tree house for my DD! If anyone comes up with a blueprint I would be so excited, I was just going to attempt to wing it.

rere - All your things are awesome! Is there a how-to anywhere for those hooded towels? I would love to make some for my nieces, nephews, and DD.

I wish there was some wool-free way to do all the fantastic felting and crafting so many of you are doing. I'm so jealous! At least I have the recycled plastic bottle felt sheets to work with. Not the same as felting wool, though. I really like the T-shirt pants, and that wooden cart, too. I may try my hand at those. I can't really sew, but usually I can manage pretty basic things, haha. I hope. I can blanket stitch like what!

So far I'm hoping for: (ages at x-mas)

Nephew (20 mo.) - felt foods, hooded towel (If I can find a how-to I can manage)

Nephew (14 mo.) - Some of these critters I made for my other nephew for his birthday out of naked wood pieces / doll cat eyes / nice, safe paint / couple beads I got from hobby lobby. They were fun and pretty easy, really. And a hooded towel!

Niece (10 y/o) - Hooded towel, and I have no idea what else yet

Niece (4 y/o) - Hooded towel and those gnomes made with felt and wooden pegs, I already made some for my DD for when she's older, haha. A couple of them are in my blog. I completed the rainbow and did 4 elemental gnomes as well, they are such fun! I found some smaller pegs, too, I'm going to do some gnome children. Or maybe I will make her fairies, I don't know.

BIL (27) - I'm not sure what all, but I will think of something to make for him using that fused grocery bag stuff! He will adore it. Maybe a tote for dumpster diving

DD (11 mo.) - Maybe I'll give her her gnomes then, maybe wait until she's older, I'm really not sure. Anyone thoughts on that? Other than that I would love to make that push cart for her, and I don't know what else.

I'd make 'em no-sew tutus but I already made a ton of them for my nieces, nephews, and with all of our day-care children! They loved it and it's so funny to see them all prancing around in them. They love dressing up.

Well, that all the easy people on my list Kids are so much fun and still young enough to be easy to please. Well see about the MIL, her fiance, FIL, his wife, my brothers, SILs, my parents.. ooo I think I feel that panic coming on!

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

#139 of 319 Old 08-27-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juise View Post
I always have such grand intentions, but never end up getting 'round to it until it's really too late, then I panic, quick try to rush and make everything, explode into a thousand stressed out pieces, give up, not get anything done. Then I go insane trying to find thoughtful / personal / useful store bought gifts, which I don't think is even possible, get really sad, give up, and end up buying crappy last minute gifts : So ashamed.

I'd make 'em no-sew tutus but I already made a ton of them for my nieces, nephews, and with all of our day-care children! They loved it and it's so funny to see them all prancing around in them. They love dressing up.
This is totaly me! But, I'm dedicated/determined this year!

How did you do your tutus?

This is a tutorial for a cute hooded towel, I don't know if it's what you are looking for or not.

#140 of 319 Old 08-27-2008, 11:49 PM

oh, for the adults on my list i am doing a few things: purses, night gowns (freezer paper stenciled or crayon transfered designs), deer jerky (sorry juise!), embroidered handkerchiefs, head bands, bread mix, grocery tote bags, remote caddy, and booze (amaretto or coffee liqueur) so some's crafted, some not. i'd love more adult gift ideas!

#141 of 319 Old 08-28-2008, 11:21 AM

Here is the tutorial I used for the no-sew tutus I actually found it on MDC I love them, and so do the kids, and they are very easy.

Oh, I *did* have one thought for the adult in my life: ricepacks! Who could not like a ricepack.... right? That's what I'm hoping anyway. I will probably make most of them plain, but it will be fun to throw some spices in for the people I know will like it. DP caught mine on fire during DD's birth and boy was he lucky he had his to substitute

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

#142 of 319 Old 08-28-2008, 11:27 AM

Here's another tutu tutorial: http://plumtickled.typepad.com/plumt...utorial-t.html . They are so easy, and it's so cute to see the girls twirling in them!

#143 of 319 Old 08-28-2008, 02:01 PM

Yay, thanks to this thread I have tons of great ideas for the holidays. :

I love the no-sew tutus. I think I'll make those along with some kind of wand or maybe hair ribbons for dd and her cousin.
#144 of 319 Old 08-28-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J
[B
rere[/b] - All your things are awesome! Is there a how-to anywhere for those hooded towels? I would love to make some for my nieces, nephews, and DD.
Thanks!

The towels were pretty easy.Let's see if I can describe it though.

To make the hood I cut two 10"x10" squares from a hand towel.I found using two washcloths made the hood too big and one made it too small.

I zigzagged any raw edges.

Laying the squares right sides together I sewed up two of the sides(not two parallel sides).Turn it right side out and voila you have a hood.

Center the right side of the hood on the out side of the towel at the top edge of the towel.Like this.

Pin it and sew it up.

When I attached the hood I sewed a straight line and did another zigzag stitch over the straight stitch because I wanted to be extra sure the hood didn't come off.

Hope that helps.If it doesn't make sense just let me know and I will try to describe it better.

#145 of 319 Old 08-29-2008, 08:01 PM

thanks for the tutorials! I'm definately going to make some of those!! I have so many ideas for the kids on my list I have to weed thru them and decide what to do. I wish the adults were so easy.

Juise, I need more info on you sweet little bugs!! I love them!! I would like to make some for James. What kind of paint did you use and where did you get it? Does Lowes or such have safe for chewing paint or do you have to get it online? How did you connect them to eliminate the choking hazard? Thanks, you are so crafty!

#146 of 319 Old 08-31-2008, 01:32 PM

Since I love felting and making jewelry, I will probably make some jewelry and felted soap. You can see some at my flicker here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/feltingme/
It is hard to think about anything for guys, but they can use felted soap.
#147 of 319 Old 08-31-2008, 01:44 PM

Oh, yes, I forgot also art kits:
felting kits-wool roving with instructions
handmade fingerpaint kits
handmade playdough kit, etc.
#148 of 319 Old 08-31-2008, 01:53 PM

soap. two kinds. i am also making some tinctures again this year and some calendula or arnica balms, perfumes, incense and mists.
flickr site: http://flickr.com/photos/mayamade

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#149 of 319 Old 08-31-2008, 02:24 PM

I want to make my little girl a diaper bag and stock it with diapers, changing pad, .. what else? Any good links as to how to make one? Ideas for this?
#150 of 319 Old 08-31-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Hope that helps.If it doesn't make sense just let me know and I will try to describe it better.
Thank you so much for taking the time to describe this to me I was a wee bit confused, but only on account of my lack of sewing knowledge, not because of your directions, but DP got me sorted out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
Juise, I need more info on you sweet little bugs!! I love them!! I would like to make some for James. What kind of paint did you use and where did you get it? Does Lowes or such have safe for chewing paint or do you have to get it online? How did you connect them to eliminate the choking hazard? Thanks, you are so crafty!
Since I'm going to be making some more I can try to put together a bit of a tutorial for them, lots of people have asked me, so it would probably make it easier As for paint I found it at our Hobby Lobby. I went with wood paint made in the U.S.A. certified non-toxic and safe by California standards (I believe they have the strictest requirements of the states) and "weather resistant" so it would stand up to downpours of drool, hails of teeth, that kind of thing My first two were about as simple as can be, but I have a couple changes to make to make them a little tougher. I didn't use a drill at all on the first ones and I think it really is required for stability.

As to the choking hazard question - They're just not small. I believe they were 1 1/2" diameter beads, but I will have to double-check. They are strung on a dowel.

After being exposed to a 1 y/o - What ended up happening after a while and why I will be changing them is that weren't secured with a peg as well as glued broke. One lost a set of wheels and it's tail came off, the other way okay, but I have taken them back to improve them. This is where the spools are glued to the underside of the beads to make the axle, and I think there just plain isn't enough surface area. The tail, also, was attached via a spool. I've taken all those bits off and will be chopping up another dowel that fits inside the spools, and drilling holes into the beads for the dowel to fit into on the body.

I hope that made a kind of sense and wasn't just long and confusing! I'll whip up a tutorial. It's so much easier for me to show than try to describe on a verbal basis only. I was going to get to the fabric store today, so I'll swing by the hobby shop too so I can get those going, and I'll be able to give you all the specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy589 View Post
I want to make my little girl a diaper bag and stock it with diapers, changing pad, .. what else? Any good links as to how to make one? Ideas for this?
Wet bag and wipes? That's all I've got, sorry

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page