Anyone start Christmas crafting yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2008, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for some inspiration.

I'm thinking of making some felt food for kids of friends/family (I did some little cupcakes last year for my own kids using felted wool sweaters. I made the "cuff" portion into the cupcake wrapper and then the actual cupcake was needlefelted wool. I'm not much of a sewer but these came out pretty cute).

I may make a no-sew tutu or two for some other kids of friends/family members (have done this before too. A little time consuming but cute).

For adults I'm thinking of using natural dyes to dye some silk/wool scarves.

I'd like to start soon because I always have great intentions, but poor execution, and I run out of time most years

I'd love to hear if others have started and what they are making
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcrunchie View Post
Looking for some inspiration.
I just ventured into this section looking for the same! I just bought yarn to make some felted purses as gifts. I'm also planning on making some face cloths and some herbal creams to make up gift baskets with, ooh, I could add knitted slippers to that too.

I may do some scarves/hats as well (not very unique.)

I love the idea of felt food--there's a 3 y/o on my gift list that might like that--but I have a habit of planning more projects than I can reasonably finish, so we'll see.

I always have a lot of ideas for handmade stuff for the women and children on my list, but for the men...not so much.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:05 PM

I started last week.

I started teaching myself to sew right before my grandma died.And during a visit with her I was telling her how I really liked the idea of using old clothes as sewing materials.So the next time I saw her she gave me some of her clothes to use.She died not too much later.I couldn't figure out what to do with the stuff she gave me until the other day when it dawned on me to cut it into strips to make patchwork scarves for all the ladies in my family.

So far I've only made two but it's early right?

Old 07-26-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
I started last week.

I started teaching myself to sew right before my grandma died.And during a visit with her I was telling her how I really liked the idea of using old clothes as sewing materials.So the next time I saw her she gave me some of her clothes to use.She died not too much later.I couldn't figure out what to do with the stuff she gave me until the other day when it dawned on me to cut it into strips to make patchwork scarves for all the ladies in my family.

What a wonderful idea!

I've made my mom a purse but that's as far as it has gone. I'd like to make a homemade something for my dad, brother, daughter and husband at the very least.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Old 07-26-2008, 07:31 PM

I've crocheted my mom a bag for her yoga mat, but that is all I have gotten done so far. I'd like to sew everyone grocery bags and I love the idea of tutu's for my nieces. Not sure what I would do for nephews yet, they are all under 4 and I have for of them to think about.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapadoozer View Post
What a wonderful idea!
Thanks!

I've been making presents for such a long time that it's getting hard to come up with new ideas.Other than being really happy to be able to share a little bit of my grandma with everyone,I have to admit,I was really happy to have an idea to get started on.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:37 PM

Here is a good site to go to....not only to get organized....but great gift ideas!

www.organizedchristmas.com
Old 07-27-2008, 06:05 AM

Great projects, everyone!

We started a few weeks ago!

So far we have finished...

Raspberry Liquor in Pretty Bottles: http://woodmouse.typepad.com/woodmou...r-bottled.html

Melt & Pour Soap: (this post is instructions but was from last year, we're doing the same this year just different essential oils)
http://woodmouse.typepad.com/woodmou...al-the-ch.html

And we are working on:
Cutting Boards
Ornaments
Stationary/Card Sets (I'm using a Gocco to print up some cards/envelope sets for my long distance relatives)
...and much more to be decided

So fun to start early because you can get so much more accomplished!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:06 AM

Glad I'm not the only person thinking ahead! I don't make any Christmas gifts for extended family; it's just too much. I make each of my nieces and nephews a handmade gift for their birthdays instead.

I do, however, make gifts for my own kiddos. So far I've only gotten as far as a beginning list, no actual crafting!

Ds1 (age 13) - no clue...teen boys are hard!
DD (age 10) - embroidered library bag
Ds2 (age 2) - library bag
Ds3 (age 5 months) - quilt

A happy woman
Old 07-28-2008, 09:47 AM

I'm starting to get everything planned. I want to make a few sets of wool dryer balls, knitted dishcloths, I Spy bags, and Superhero capes.

I need ideas on what to make for the kids though. Thank goodness there's still lots of time left!

Old 07-28-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOM2-2 View Post
Here is a good site to go to....not only to get organized....but great gift ideas!

www.organizedchristmas.com
Oh, thanks!!! I got some great ideas for the kids from that link!!

Old 07-28-2008, 03:17 PM

Where are you guys getting your supplies?

I have tons of ideas for felt stuffies/food/whatnots, but I don't know where to get wool felt for a decent price. I can't afford $8 per sheet, kwim!!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post

I have tons of ideas for felt stuffies/food/whatnots, but I don't know where to get wool felt for a decent price. I can't afford $8 per sheet, kwim!!
You could use wool sweaters from the thrift store and throw them in the wash machine to felt them.(If you do this you might consider putting them in a pillow case to catch the mass amount of fuzz balls).

Old 07-28-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
You could use wool sweaters from the thrift store and throw them in the wash machine to felt them.(If you do this you might consider putting them in a pillow case to catch the mass amount of fuzz balls).
I've done this before, but the only problem is that in Texas, and especially in summer, the availability of wool sweaters is next to none. :
Old 07-28-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I've done this before, but the only problem is that in Texas, and especially in summer, the availability of wool sweaters is next to none. :
Oh...sorry...that never occurred to me.What about ebay?Maybe you could find some cheap ones?I don't know if it would be worth it with the shipping...

Old 07-28-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:

I use a lot of wool blend felt. If you find the 70 percent blend, it's really nice and MUCH cheaper.

A happy woman
Old 07-31-2008, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

For cheap wool felt, I felt wool sweaters from thrift shops (but as you said, in TX, that isn't easy to find I guess!). I've found wool blend felt at Joann's fabric. Maybe use a coupon to make it cheaper?

Also, 1-2x a year or so there is a Mercurious co-op on the co-ops board. You can buy wool felt through them. I think it is a bit cheaper that way?

Thanks for sharing the ideas everyone. I'd love to hear more progress/ideas, etc. as they come
Old 08-01-2008, 12:56 AM

Your Welcome MOMMYOFMANY!!!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 01:49 AM

The ball has definitely started rolling around here with christmas crafting. Mostly I've been coming up with a lot of ideas and trying to fit those ideas together. I will definitely be starting the gifts for my girls this month. Dh is actually going to me helping out a lot more with the gifts this year, so I'm super excited about that. He will be making photo calendars for all the relatives, so that along with homemade fudge should suffice for most. So that just leaves my girls, dh, and my new baby niece who I just HAVE to make something special for. I always like to have all the gifts made/bought by Thanksgiving Day, that way the holidays are not a stress and I am free to do fun things like make ornaments and build gingerbread houses.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
Old 08-02-2008, 07:25 AM

I've just finished making some sheets of felt for DD's stocking. (This will be her third Christmas, please don't ask.) DS3 still needs one too Adults and family friends are getting four-seasons food gifts: a jar of lemon curd, strawberry jam, elderflower cordial and sloe gin. I'm petrified that the cordial's going to go off before Christmas, but I did sterilise and seal the bottles properly.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
I started last week.

That is a really amazing gift! I love this site and thought of you when you mentioned using your grandmas clothes. I don't know how time intensive this is, I am a new sewer but you could maybe make it for yourself when your done to remember your grandmother.

http://rosylittlethings.com/tanglewoodpattern.html

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
Old 08-05-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBug View Post
That is a really amazing gift! I love this site and thought of you when you mentioned using your grandmas clothes. I don't know how time intensive this is, I am a new sewer but you could maybe make it for yourself when your done to remember your grandmother.

http://rosylittlethings.com/tanglewoodpattern.html
Oh thanks for that!It sparked an idea.I'm keeping a piece of the clothing for myself and when I saw your post I remembered that my grandmother loved a bag I made out of a thrifted tea towel.I wore a hole in the bag but there are plenty of good parts left that I could cut up and pair with her shirt to make a new bag.

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2008, 01:04 PM

I have dyed my first batch of wool!! :

Now it's sitting in the jars, but I'm not sure how to dry it. Can I spin it in the washer in a lingerie bag? Or would that be too harsh for wool roving? Should I just pull it out and let it drip?

It's been in the dye bath for almost 24 hours... tell me what to do!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:15 PM

I just made some play food (for the girls' stockings) and some play money (for dd1s cash register I'm getting her) you can see them on my blog here I made up some play money the other day, view it on my blog and let me know what you guys think.
http://bellapepper.blogspot.com/

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
Old 08-05-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Oh thanks for that!It sparked an idea.I'm keeping a piece of the clothing for myself and when I saw your post I remembered that my grandmother loved a bag I made out of a thrifted tea towel.I wore a hole in the bag but there are plenty of good parts left that I could cut up and pair with her shirt to make a new bag.

Thanks!

You are so welcome! I myself would never be able to do that, but it is quite cute. I got her clothespin doll kits and am making them for dd. I figured I would order the kits and then I would be able to go and get the parts on my own in the future to make for my niece.

I love the clothes made into something else. I have saved all of my dd's special, at least to me, outfits to make a quilt for either her or me I have also saved all of my boys jerseys and sports team shirts to make them a comforter when they get bigger. Can you tell I am very sentimental?

Sarah that food and money is just super cute! I am totally going to steal that idea for dd! Thanks!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
Old 08-05-2008, 03:47 PM

NoliMum, you need to rinse it and drain it and dry it, without agitating and without changing temperature. I find that the spin cycle on my front loader is too harsh, unless I take great care to hold the fibre still.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
NoliMum, you need to rinse it and drain it and dry it, without agitating and without changing temperature. I find that the spin cycle on my front loader is too harsh, unless I take great care to hold the fibre still.
Well I got impatient and air-dried it without any spinning or rinsing. Do I need to rinse it out now, and dry it again?

*off to do a search on dyeing roving...*
Old 08-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Banned

Oh, good heavens, yes! I started back in January, and just wrapped up FIL's sweater last night. I cast on MIL's this morning (and that's as far as I've gotten).

I've already bought DH 1 stocking gift (a pedometer) and a small gift for SIL. I've got a list of things to buy/make before the end of November, and then right after Thanksgiving, I will start on making the candy (I've already purchased about 1/2 of the candy tins I will need.)
Old 08-05-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post
I just made some play food (for the girls' stockings) and some play money (for dd1s cash register I'm getting her) you can see them on my blog here I made up some play money the other day, view it on my blog and let me know what you guys think.
http://bellapepper.blogspot.com/
Thanks for sharing!The felt money is a great idea.The paper money drives me nuts but my daughter loves to play "payer"with her cash register.I'm definitely going to make some felt money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBug View Post
Can you tell I am very sentimental?
Me too!

Ok,I made another present.A funky bracelet for a funky friend.

Now if only I could come up with an idea for my MIL who doesn't really like much...including me.UHG!Any ideas????

Old 08-05-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Well I got impatient and air-dried it without any spinning or rinsing. Do I need to rinse it out now, and dry it again?

*off to do a search on dyeing roving...*

Not unless you're needle-felting. If you're spinning it then wet-finishing your finished yarn will rinse it out, and if you're wet-felting it then that'll rinse the last of the dye-bath out. At the same time, leaving any excess dye residue, vinegar, mordants or whathaveyou on the wool isn't going to be good for it- so finish up for this Christmas, not next. KWIM?

User Tag List