Finished Soaker but it leaks!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-28-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I knit this beautiful soaker for DS is cascade 220 Charcoal Gray. It is a little big so he will be able to have it for a while. I love the way it looks but it leaks, and not just a little. DP was holding DS and he peed and she had a large wet spot on her side. It wasn't a leak out the side it was directly through the soaker. The soaker was recently lanolized in Euclan the same way that all of our other soaker were. What can I do. I don't put it on him because the thing leaks. I have considered pulling the legs out and felting it. I can't felt it now because DS has chunky legs and probably would not be able to wear it after felting. What would you do?

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#2 of 9 Old 07-28-2008, 05:23 PM

I'd suggest turning it inside out and lanolizing with lanolin (as opposed to Eucalan). You and even get the lanolin somewhat warn and rub it into your damp soaker.

Do you have a long enough cuff at the leg openings so that the diaper is completely covered??

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#3 of 9 Old 07-28-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, thats no problem. We always make sure to tuck in the extra diaper. The legs are pretty snug so there is not much space for the diaper to wiggle down.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#4 of 9 Old 07-29-2008, 01:55 AM

I've never used that yarn but many people on a soaker group I'm on do and no one has complained. I would turn it inside out, lanolize the helk out of it, like overnight and maybe a few times. Sometimes when I first knit something up it takes a few lanolizes before it really works.

Are you lanolizing properly? You should be putting hte lanolin in hot water with a few squirts of shampoo or castille soap, shaking it up till it's milky white and no clumps of lanolin, then put in your soaker overnight. And as previously mentioned, inside-out.
#5 of 9 Old 07-29-2008, 03:39 AM

How tightly is it knit? IME, cascade and the like need to be very tightly knit to work well. I like 5 st/in.

Also, some kids pee hard enough that they need a very absorbent diaper under soakers, or it will shoot straight through the wool.
#6 of 9 Old 07-29-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWolfe View Post
I've never used that yarn but many people on a soaker group I'm on do and no one has complained.
Yup, I'm loving Cascade220 for soakers.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#7 of 9 Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 AM

I knit cascade on 5's, but I think the biggest thing here is that Cascade is a fairly processed yarn & really needs to be lanolized. Eucalan will maintain the lanolin already there, but it doesn't add much (if any) to the knitted item. I bet it will work wonderfully once you add lanolin to it.
#8 of 9 Old 08-01-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

I am reknitting the Legs because DP does not like the crochet'd ones and then I will lanolize everything again. Thanks everyone for the help!

#9 of 9 Old 08-01-2008, 06:27 PM

Yeah lanolize the heck out of it. I use about a pea sized amount.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page