Making cloth diapers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-29-2008, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do any of you crafty moms sew your own cloth diapers? I am really interested in sewing some pocket diapers but I'm wondering if I can pull it off using my everyday sewing machine.

Do I need a serger, or do any of you do it on a regular sewing machine? Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks!

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#2 of 14 Old 07-29-2008, 02:38 PM

I've sewn my own with my regular machine a lot! You just sew them inside out, turn them around, and top stitch all the way around. Make sure it has a sewing allowance in the pattern, or add one.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#3 of 14 Old 07-29-2008, 02:45 PM

What pattern are you all using? We'd like to make ours but am not sure what pattern to "trust."

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#4 of 14 Old 07-29-2008, 03:19 PM

Tried to but my attempt was laughable.
My machine was gotten for free and is abit sketchy.
#5 of 14 Old 07-29-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish11 View Post
What pattern are you all using? We'd like to make ours but am not sure what pattern to "trust."
I was just cruising the diaper-making forum wondering the same thing, there are so many different kinds and the patterns really show a lot of variation. I am tempted to try some of the free downloadable ones, rather than paying for a pattern, but I'm afraid that "you get what you pay for"...
#6 of 14 Old 07-29-2008, 05:04 PM

I just tried the Rita's Rump pattern yesterday and it seems to be pretty easy. Of course I have no idea how it will actually work until I have a baby to use it on! Here's a pic of theinside. And a pic of the outside. I'm making mine using recycled materials like sheets, towels and t-shirts. I chose that pattern because it seemed like it would last the longest. I mean, it is adjustable by folding the back down so hopefully it will fit for awhile. I don't have a serger, but my regular machine seems to be doing alright. I am NOT a great seamstress but I'm getting along!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#7 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 12:36 AM

I'm going to try making some wool covers...it's not worth it to me to make PUL covers or fitteds (which is what I use) since the materials aren't that cheap and I can get gentle used diapers for good prices at diaperswappers. But I figured that I can make wool covers for $5-7 each, which is a whole lot cheaper than even used wool covers, so I'll give it a try. I'm going to try making a wool soaker and some wool longies, too...they should be done in the next day or two if I ever motivate myself to get the sewing machine out (the pieces are all cut out and everything!). I don't need a serger for anything I'm making (I have one, but it's broken ATM).
#8 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a whole forum on making cloth diapers. In keeping with the DDC Guidelines, I am going to move you over there.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#9 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 09:03 AM

If you want to buy a pattern i love the Honey boy pattern. Some of the directions get confusing so I do mine a little different, put I have used them over night on outings and they worked awesome! I did PUL outer and suede inners, trim and awesome.
#10 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 11:42 AM

For free patterns, I LOVE the MamaBird pattern. And hear only good things about the Rita's Rump pattern.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#11 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 03:48 PM

I've used the FREE pocket pattern here (made dipes from old t-shirts, using a regular sewing machine):
http://fernandfaerie.com/frugaldiapering.html

Also, I've bought the Chloe Toes pattern. Seems really great and gets excellent reviews everywhere. It's also much easier and faster to sew together because of the unique design that makes use of FOE (fold over elastic).
www.chloetoesboutique.com

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#12 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 12:37 PM

YOU CAN DO IT!!! It's so easy, and there really is no special equipment needed PM me if you'd like to try one of my patterns for free
#13 of 14 Old 08-04-2008, 10:33 PM

I use the Rita Rump Pocket and I love it. I'm not a very good sewer, but my diapers look great. I'm using my mother's 40 year old machine from Sears and haven't had any issues with figuring out how to put the diapers together. The diapers seemed huge until I turned and top stitched. My daughter has fit in the diapers since she was 2 months old. I use old flannel sheets and cute snuggle flannel. Sometimes I add a layer of fleece. It's fun! So fun that my family has learned to eat dinner around my sewing machine, which is always set up at the kitchen table!
#14 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum06 View Post
So fun that my family has learned to eat dinner around my sewing machine, which is always set up at the kitchen table!
That's what happened here at my house!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page