New to Quilting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I'm really wanting to get into quilting. Baby #2 is due in the fall and I would love to sew a quilt for them.

I have no idea where to start, what I need, and I've never sewn anything in my life. I can't even thread a needle.

HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-31-2008, 08:28 PM

Do you have a machine you can use? One of the simplest things you could do is buy some Minky type fabric in a couple colors, and sew it up in simple blocks then back it with a flannel back satin. Not too hard, with very satisfying results.

Do you know anyone that could give you some help?
#3 of 6 Old 08-01-2008, 08:39 PM

Do you have a local quilt shop near?? Most are very helpful and would love to get you hooked I mean started LOL If you google online you would find many easy baby quilt patterns and tutorials on how to do each step. The main steps to quilting are
cutting
piecing-putting the pieces together
basting- layering your quilt sandwich and securing it
quilting or tying-quilting is securing your layers by sewing all three together, tying is simply tying knots thu all the layers
the final step is binding - finishing the edges

I love to quilt and when I was a beginner I learned alot from taking a beginners class.
Warning Quilting is addicting:

If you have question I would love to help answer them.
#4 of 6 Old 08-02-2008, 09:21 PM

I found a small instructional book on quilting and also hit up the library and slowly taught myself. I have a friend whose neighbor taught her. There are also community quilting meetings, usually made up of old ladies by me, where you could ask lots of questions.

The pp is right, It is addicting!!
#5 of 6 Old 08-02-2008, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire View Post
Do you have a machine you can use? One of the simplest things you could do is buy some Minky type fabric in a couple colors, and sew it up in simple blocks then back it with a flannel back satin. Not too hard, with very satisfying results.

Do you know anyone that could give you some help?
No I don't have a sewing machine, unfortuantely. And I haven't been able to find anyone locally that quilts.
#6 of 6 Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 PM

Congratulations on your new little one! I think it's great that you want to make a quilt for them.
The pp's are absolutely correct- quilting is totally addictive. My first quilt ever was a baby quilt for a friend. There are lots of
different things you could do but the first thing that comes to mind is for you to look at some of Alex Anderson's books. She is a prominent quilter who has several books with clear directions even for hand sewing. Another book you might try is from Eleanor Burns- she has a series of books called "Quilt in a Day", but I think hers are more for machine sewing. The other place you can look is on Martha Stewart's website. She has several baby quilt projects and at least one is for hand sewing. Just search for baby quilt or quilt and you can print out the directions.

The easiest way to start would be to pick what size you want, then use a whole piece of fabric that size for the front and back(this would be called a whole cloth quilt), then layer it with batting inside and tie the layers together to quilt it. Don't worry about not having a machine, you can do it without one! I think you can find the whole cloth project on Martha Stewart's website and that would be a good place to start. Then take the directions to your fabric store and tell them what you're trying to do.

Good luck! I hope any of this helps and you'll love looking back at the quilt you made for your little one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page