dying a sheepskin rug? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-07-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yesterday I found a sheepskin rug: we only have one and both of my little ones fight over it- so this is perfect! Anyway- I have to clean it good- since it is kinda yucky right now- but once it is all nice and clean and everything- I kinda want to dye it! It is is this bright orange (really really old- probably like 40 years old at least) and that just isn't attractive to me.

So I figured that if I can dye wool yarn (which I do)- it must be possible to dye a whole sheepskin right? But the burning question is how? I know I will need a high quality and volume dye and a big old wash tub and a fire probably- but perhaps you mamas with all the experience could point me in the right direction? And provide color suggestions for overdying a bright orange skin?

Thanks in advance!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#2 of 6 Old 08-07-2008, 05:32 PM

Personally, I tend to use Kool-Aid on wool, but it's also undyed natural wool when I start.

For overdying, which is pretty much what you will be doing, you could try an acid dye.

A few spinning friends of mine like Jacquard:
http://www.spinnerschoice.com/Jacqua...cid%20Dyes.htm

If you have a local yarn shop or spinners around where you are, they would be able to guide you a lot better. I would say that with bright orange, you may end up going either a darker, burnt color, or maybe into the reds family. I'm not sure if you could strip the previous dyes out, though you could try.
#3 of 6 Old 08-07-2008, 06:49 PM

Remember your colour theory- if you overdye with purple, you should end up with a more red colour.
I would try and figure out if it's possible to use Dylon machine dyes on wool, and if so how; if you can do this in a washing machine it'll make your life a lot easier. If that doesn't work then I think I'd probably aim for a solar dye bath as your best chance to get relatively even coverage. I'd also try a coffee bath before trying anything else at all :
Are you prepared for the possibility that the skin might not survive the dyeing process? One of mine disintegrated after the abuse of frequent washing...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#4 of 6 Old 08-08-2008, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

I have no idea what a coffee bath is......

I am prepared for the possibility that this sheepskin might not survive this- it might not even survive being washed- I found it in an old house attic- I am sure it has been there for over 20 years untouched. I figured I would trim off the dry edges first and that would help alot.... But I hate to not even try- if you know what I mean.... I have also been thinking of redoing the kids room and with my new hopefull color scheme it might actually look good..... But I have to clean it first I guess to know how much I will hate it.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#5 of 6 Old 08-08-2008, 03:14 PM

Coffee bath= deliberately soak it in a lot of coffee. It might take the edge off the orange : Try washing it first- gently. See what happens then?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#6 of 6 Old 08-12-2008, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

I went to trim off some of it that I noticed was disintagrating - well it just kinda started falling apart from there. I decided to wash it anyway and see what would happen and it looked great- until I tried to get it out of the washer and it completely fell apart. Oh well- nothing ventured nothing gained. it was a pretty ugly orange after all. Maybe when I go to the fair in September there will be hot deals on beautiful ones! Or Acres....... there are beauties there!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page