is Gutermann thread any better than Coats & Clark? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-13-2008, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Joann's is having a sale on the Gutermann's thread right now, but it's the same price as the Coats & Clark thread (the 100% poly) normally. If it's a better thread I'll get some while it's on sale, but otherwise I won't bother.
#2 of 12 Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 PM

I lurve my Gutermanns and don't use anything else now. I always use a 40% off coupon (unless they are having a 50% off sale) and also save money by buying the huge spool of white thread to use wherever the stitching won't be visible.
#3 of 12 Old 08-13-2008, 08:03 PM

I didn't think there was a difference until I tried the Gutermann. (on sale) I had way less lint in my machine, and less tangles. I don't use C&C anymore.
#4 of 12 Old 08-13-2008, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know a couple people who will only use Gutterman's.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 12 Old 08-14-2008, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like it's worth a try at least. I guess I'll go there before the sale ends and buy the thread I need for more current project.
#6 of 12 Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 PM

Gutterman's really is the best. It funks up your machine less, lasts longer, and works much better than other threads, imo. If it's the same price, stock up.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#7 of 12 Old 08-14-2008, 04:10 PM

Ditto everything everyone else said about Gutermann thread. German engineering and all that. It's good stuff.
#8 of 12 Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 PM

I have to ask, does anyone use Mettler thread? I normally use Guitermans but picked up Mettler because it was the only thing available at the fabric store the other day. The only difference I can see so far is that one seem more slippery/silky than the other. Hopefully it will hold up.
#9 of 12 Old 08-18-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlea View Post
Gutterman's really is the best. It funks up your machine less, lasts longer, and works much better than other threads, imo. If it's the same price, stock up.
ITA.
#10 of 12 Old 08-20-2008, 01:41 AM

gutermann is good and if you can get it on sale, even better. C & C apparently has "up" their standards so anything "now" is better than what they had. Mettler is another good brand though i've never seen them on sale. i use gutermann for nice stuff but i admittedly do use cheapie threads to sew jammies or stuff around the house.
#11 of 12 Old 08-20-2008, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
I know a couple people who will only use Gutterman's.
I'm one of them. I used to use whatever I happened to have on hand, and then I tried the Gutermann's and now it's all I use for my sewing machine. It solved a lot of issues that I was having with my machine. I tried it in a machine that I was sure was broken and as it turned out the machine was fine ~ it just didn't like the cheap thread I was using. So I stick to Gutermann's for all of my regular sewing now. Love the half off sales at JoAnn's!

I do use the occassional spool of Coats and Clark in my embroidery machine with no issues.
#12 of 12 Old 08-20-2008, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well I ended up buying a ton (like $30 worth!) of Gutermann thread at Joann's half off sale this weekend, enough for all my current projects and a few extra spools for trading in for different colors if I have new projects and the thread's not on sale. I probably have 30 or more spools of Coats and Clark already so I probably won't stop using it entirely , but I think I will start using primarily Gutermann's since I think it will be better for my sewing machine in the long run.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page