Sewing my own AIO - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-30-2003, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay ladies, give me all you know about sewing an AIO. Where do I get the best pattern? What is the best material. Anything that you would or would not recomend in making an AIO?

My mom takes DD once a week for the day but insists on using sposies. I asked her today when she picked up DD, if it was 'all in one' would you use it instead of sposies and she said yes. So now I need to get to it - aww darn I need to go shopping for material - right? Aww darn, I'll need some 'alone' time in my sewing room if I'm going to get these done! It's such a pity!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-30-2003, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Well I made up my own pattern from a happy heiny's but I used microfleece from Joanne's (any fabric store) and ordered PUL from diaperfabrics.com. For a large size you can get 2 AIOs from a half yard each of PUL and microfleece. You'll also need velcro or snaps. Velcro is easier to sew in, but snaps are more durable. You need a special applicator for the plastic snaps.

Also, if you are making your own pattern make some practice ones out of old pillowcases or something to make sure they fit. I ruined two because I messed up the size!

Get regular 1/4" elastic for the legs and the back of the waist.

Good luck!

Steph & Iain (10 months)

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 4 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014. BFP! due 6/26/15- maybe ectopic, maybe not viable. Waiting.
#3 of 12 Old 10-30-2003, 05:46 PM

Sewing aio's is so fun and easy, but there is really a need for decen pattern out there, I've heard the most popular ones are lacking in fit and ease of sewing! If you're only going to make one or 2 it might be ok to dink around with the pattern, or spend time redoing your work, but if you want to make a bunch like 6 or so, it would pay to get a good pattern from the beginning!

e-mail me if you want to know about a pattern I'm working on developing. I've been sewing all my baby's dipes, and had all 3 of my kids in cloth!

Ideally you'd get a Bumkin everytime you sewed a dipe!
#4 of 12 Old 10-30-2003, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Well I agree--I couldn't find an AIO pattern I liked, that's why I made my own (out of newspaper). Basically I traced the happy heiny onto newspaper (stretching out the elastic) and cut one out of each microfleece and PUL. Stitched velcro loop strip on the outer PUL layer. Stitched the two layers together, made a casing for the leg elastic (this is by far the hardest part!). Stitched in elastic, turned the thing right sides out. Stitched back waist elastic in. Topstitched the whole thingy (to keep fleece from rolling out and wicking). Then stitched in velcro hook tabs and loop protector tabs. Voila! It did take me a few to really get the hang of them, but I've made about 20 for my son, some with the PUL sandwiched in between the fleece and a cute woven cotton fabric. His butt is unique!

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 4 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014. BFP! due 6/26/15- maybe ectopic, maybe not viable. Waiting.
#5 of 12 Old 10-30-2003, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

So it sounds like eveyone is using microfleece. Any other fabrics?

I already make my own fitted dipes. I take 4 layers of fabric (usually flannel), onto 2 of the layers I sew a soaker pad, on the other 2 layers I sew in elastic, put on snaps, surge the layers together and then put on the mates to the snaps. Could I just add a layer of PUL to this? What about fleece? TIA

#6 of 12 Old 10-31-2003, 12:03 AM

You could just sew your pad onto the outside of the 2 layers, sew your elastic onto the other side, then serge the Pul onto the back, it would work, just might wick after baby is in it a while.
#7 of 12 Old 10-31-2003, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Kerrie, I make AIOs pretty much like you make your fitteds, just use PUL as the outer layer (or just under the outer layer if you want to use something pretty that's not laminated) You can also use fleece in the exact same way, just cut it a little bigger around the legs so you can roll it in when you topstitch like HB's

I really think the only thing harder about AIO's vs fitteds is getting used to the different fabrics and figuring which combo's don't wick for you.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#8 of 12 Old 10-31-2003, 02:38 AM

I would probably start with fleece. I've discovered that serging 2 layers of PUL together is not fun if you're binding it in fold over elastic, the cotton outer and micro fleece lining slide all over the place b/c the PUL is slick :LOL But it probably wouldn't be as bad if you're sewing regular elastic in the legs and waist. I use 1 layer of MM 200wt or windpro fleece and one layer of micro and make a lay in soaker with hemp french terry.
#9 of 12 Old 10-31-2003, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Why 2 layers of PUL?

Also, I have a few homemade fleece pull up covers and they (as well as his clothes) always seem so be damp if my DS naps in them. All they are are basic MM fleece - I assume 200, I know they are not microfleece - with elastic around the waist and legs. Did I do something wrong?

#10 of 12 Old 10-31-2003, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Kerrie, they probably just aren't thick enough. I would probably only use 300 wt for nap/night covers, or double the 200 wt.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#11 of 12 Old 11-01-2003, 10:18 PM

I really like the German AIO pattern here

its easy to understand the pictures, not so easy to understand the words. But it runs huge. Well, since the only kids I am currently making diapers for is too small (read not even born yet), its huge. You can always size it down.

I use either fleece or cotton and PUL on the ouside (I never use PUL alone, always sandwiched between other stiuff) and then fleece or flannel for the liner. I like to use MM windpro for the outer of AIOs as it seems to dry faster without the "plastic" of PUL. I make a rectangular soaker of 4 layers of hemp fleece and sew it to the liner, I may try on making one of them the size of the whole diaper, justs gets bulky with already 3 layers turned and top stitched.

Good luck,
#12 of 12 Old 11-03-2003, 12:08 PM

Ooops, I didn't mean 2 layers of PUL, but a layer of pul and another fabric :LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page