pesticide-free, baby-friendly stuffing? new q: how much to buy? - Mothering Forums
Arts & Crafts > pesticide-free, baby-friendly stuffing? new q: how much to buy?
sphinxie's Avatar sphinxie 12:55 AM 08-24-2008
I'm thinking of sewing a stuffed animal that would be suitable for a baby. Do you know a source for pesticide-free, possibly organic stuffing--machine washable is ideal of course?

cristeen's Avatar cristeen 03:28 AM 08-24-2008
Organic Cotton Plus - scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.
kokonutmama's Avatar kokonutmama 02:45 PM 08-24-2008
Would you do bamboo?
sphinxie's Avatar sphinxie 06:11 PM 08-24-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Organic Cotton Plus - scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.
Yay, thanks! Now I just have to figure out how much I need

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutmama View Post
Would you do bamboo?
Oh sure, if I knew where to get it! Is bamboo machine washable?
kokonutmama's Avatar kokonutmama 12:38 PM 08-25-2008
Quote:
Oh sure, if I knew where to get it! Is bamboo machine washable?
Yes, it is. I called my supplier just to make sure.
BurgundyElephant's Avatar BurgundyElephant 02:47 PM 08-25-2008
I buy old wool sweaters and felt them, then cut up the felt. A little more work but cheaper!
sphinxie's Avatar sphinxie 01:17 AM 08-27-2008
How much stuffing should I order (by pound) if the pattern doesn't specify, but produces a stuffed animal of 7 in tall and 9 in long... I'm not sure how wide it is, probably between 4 and 6 in? Can anyone provide an educated guess?
E.V. Lowi's Avatar E.V. Lowi 12:39 PM 08-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
How much stuffing should I order (by pound) if the pattern doesn't specify, but produces a stuffed animal of 7 in tall and 9 in long... I'm not sure how wide it is, probably between 4 and 6 in? Can anyone provide an educated guess?
Depending on how hard packed you want the item to be, 1 lb should be plenty for an item that size. If you want it to be rock solid, maybe more, but I doubt it.

Another alternative for stuffing would be Eco wool. Wool is self extinguishing microbe resistant, which makes it a perfect stuffing for toys. It can be cold water washed by hand and air dried.

http://www.joyswaldorfdolls.com/doll...l_stuffing.htm
kokonutmama's Avatar kokonutmama 12:48 PM 08-27-2008
Just this morning I stuffed a 12"x12" square pillow with about half a 13oz package of stuffing. It's pretty squishy. I think One pound is more than enough for your toy, like PP said, depending on how firm you want it.
Up