Babylock Eclipse Serger question - - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-29-2008, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok...I have just been given a babylock Eclipse Serger... I know NOTHING about sergers and when I went to pattern review to look at the reviews and find some info about the serger I can't really find anything...I also haven't found anything anywhere else online, except one for sale for $1500. I am pretty sure this is a much older serger model... It has some "jet air" threading things to automatically thread it and it holds 4 things of thread...the woman who owned it originally passed away 2 years ago and it's been sitting in my girlfriends garage until today! Several times in the last year I have mentioned it to her but she hasn't been interested in it in the slightest... doesn't sew, doesn't care and wasn't about to try to figure it out...so today she told me to just take it before she gives it to goodwill, so there it sits on my dining room table.

Some of you may remember I am kinda new to sewing, I used to sew a bit but hadn't in 20 years until just recently and now recently have 2 projects under my belt, working on a third so I don't really know how much overkill having a serger is at this point, but there it is on the table.... it's dusty, no, I mean dirty and has a couple of spots of rust on metal parts I can see... don't know how bad it is though, hubby said I shouldn't even turn it on until I have it looked at and then suggested I just buy a new one for a couple of hundred bucks instead of spending that on repairs...

What would you do? I have looked at sergers and haven't seen much for a couple of hundred dollars.... if this is a "good" one, even older it may be better then a cheap one today...

I would love to hear opinions...and would definately love it if someone else has experience with this model...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-29-2008, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
it IS a good one!! It's the basic model from Babylocks E line (which is their top line). I have the Evolve, which is basically your machine plus coverstich and auto tension. Call around and see if you can find a Babylock dealer and get it serviced. It's definitely worth spending the money on service than buying a cheapie machine.

her's the info on the babylock site
http://www.babylock.com/sergers/eclipse-dx/

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#3 of 3 Old 08-29-2008, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What an excellent machine. And you got it for free? Score.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page