Cloth Diaper Wipes: how big? what kind of fabric? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-12-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,

I am planing to CD with my first baby (due early Dec) and I have started making diapers (Shar's newborn pockets, mostly) and inserts to get ready. I also want to make my own cloth diaper wipes, but I haven't been able to find much information on the wipes themselves online - there's lots of recipes for MYO wipe solutions, just not so much about the wipes. Here are my main questions:

What dimensions? I know that commercial, disposable wipes are about 8x8. I cut out a couple 8x8 squares but that seemed kinda small, I'm thinking maybe 10x10 would be better? It probably doesn't really matter, but I'd like them to be a uniform size, and maybe there is some other reason I haven't thought of that the dimensions would matter...

What kind of fabric? I'd like to use the fabric I have on hand, plus old t-shirts, sheets, and that sort of thing. Anything I should keep in mind when choosing fabrics? Natural fibers, thickness, stretch... will any of these make a big difference?

Single layer or multi layer? I found one site that talked about making wipes that had terrycloth on one side and jersey or flannel on the other, so that one side was smooth. I was thinking of doing two layers, it'll make the edges a little easier to finish (I'm thinking turn the seams inside and then topstitch around) and hopefully hold up to frequent washings better - but I don't want to put too much effort into them.

Any input anyone can give me, much appreciated! I'm probably overthinking this whole thing, but that's just kinda ME, ykwim?
#2 of 16 Old 09-12-2008, 07:45 PM

I like two layer wipes. I like cotton or bamboo/cotton fleece, baby terry, and flannel. They all work great.
You can make them any size or shape you want to. I like ovals and squares the best. Mine are 7" x 7".

Amber - married mama of 5. Cloth diaperer, babywearer, homeschooler.
#3 of 16 Old 09-13-2008, 04:22 PM

You caught me in the middle of making wipes.

I'm using flannel on both sides.. old receiving blankets actually. I found some really cheap at a consignment sale and they coordinate really well.

I REALLY like to make them 7" by 8", because we use a wipes warmer, and the dimensions of the warmer fit wipes that are 7" wide. I'm taking this to mean also that any wipes case that I come across will also fit them. That's plenty large, IMHO.

I like to do two layers, although I loved the one-layer wipes I bought for my first child. It's just that after they start with the solids, you really need more between your hand and the poop, if you know what I mean.

Hope that helps.

Jen
#4 of 16 Old 09-13-2008, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My friend just used wash cloths. She's given me all of hers that are still serviceable & I figure if I need more I'll use up some of my old towels to make more.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 16 Old 09-13-2008, 11:23 PM

I like to cut squares 8" x 8" but slightly smaller works too. I use two layers of flannel, sewn right sides together most of the way around, using about a 1/4" seam allowance. Then I turn and topstitch about 1/4" around. So they end up being just under 8" square, which is a great size -- very easy to use, and they fit nicely into my wipes warmer and wipes cases when folded in half.

Mama to four: 10, 7, 3, and 1

#6 of 16 Old 09-15-2008, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input, ladies! I guess I'll stick to making my wipes out of 8x8 squares (they finish smaller after the stitching), so they'll fit in various wipe carying and holding devices. I'm not sure if I'll get a wipes warmer or not (two weeks to the baby shower) but it would be nice to have wipes that fit if I did. Two layers sounds like the way to go, the old towels I'm planning on using are pretty worn and threadbare, I like the idea of having some real substance between my hands and the poo.
#7 of 16 Old 09-15-2008, 10:17 PM

I'm also in the middle of making wipes
I'm going with 8x8ish. I don't have time to turn and topstitch, and wasn't thrilled with serging last time so... I'm sewing WST, and using pinking shears to "finish" the raw edge. One side is flannel (monkey flannel on sale!!!) and the other side old t-shirt. I've found the flannel to be just rough enough and t-shirt to be sooooo soft.
Of course, I might get started and hate the way they look pinked, but eh, it's quick and my sewing machine is being a pain

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#8 of 16 Old 09-19-2008, 03:18 PM

Can anyone explain to me what a wipes warmer is? Is it as self explanitory as I think?I'm a mom to be, new to forums, and am seriously considering cloth diapering. Thanks!
#9 of 16 Old 09-19-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indomusia23 View Post
Can anyone explain to me what a wipes warmer is? Is it as self explanitory as I think?I'm a mom to be, new to forums, and am seriously considering cloth diapering. Thanks!
It is. Just a little box that plugs into the wall and keeps the wipes warm...
Everytime I think about it, I think about an episode of Roseanne where Jackie is saying she needs a baby wipe warmer and R says "What's a baby wipe." Cracks me up every time! 'Cause, you know, back in the day, no one used baby wipes, they all used wash cloths, aka cloth wipes!
Personally, I don't like 'em (in theory, never really had one). I wet my wipes as needed...

PS-- I didn't like the way they looked pinked, so I'm turning and topstitching.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#10 of 16 Old 09-20-2008, 11:32 AM

i so recommend the wipe warmer, get it!!! I am getting one, my baby is over a month old and he has hated cold wipes poor baby

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#11 of 16 Old 09-23-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasneedlove View Post
You caught me in the middle of making wipes.

I'm using flannel on both sides.. old receiving blankets actually. I found some really cheap at a consignment sale and they coordinate really well.

I REALLY like to make them 7" by 8", because we use a wipes warmer, and the dimensions of the warmer fit wipes that are 7" wide. I'm taking this to mean also that any wipes case that I come across will also fit them. That's plenty large, IMHO.

I like to do two layers, although I loved the one-layer wipes I bought for my first child. It's just that after they start with the solids, you really need more between your hand and the poop, if you know what I mean.

Hope that helps.

Jen
How do you do the cloth in the wipes warmer? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
#12 of 16 Old 09-23-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitie View Post
Thanks for all the input, ladies! I guess I'll stick to making my wipes out of 8x8 squares (they finish smaller after the stitching), so they'll fit in various wipe carying and holding devices. I'm not sure if I'll get a wipes warmer or not (two weeks to the baby shower) but it would be nice to have wipes that fit if I did. Two layers sounds like the way to go, the old towels I'm planning on using are pretty worn and threadbare, I like the idea of having some real substance between my hands and the poo.
Hopefully you'll get a wipes warmer. They're great! My mom's friend gave me her old one (munchkin, works great) and it was a LIFE SAVER! Our DS used to SCREAM at diaper changing time until we got one!
#13 of 16 Old 09-23-2008, 03:27 PM

Lots of people have already answered, but I thought I'd chime in too! I use 2 layers of flannel (usually old goodwill PJs) in 8 inch squares, turned and topstitched. They have washed and worn really well. My ds is 3, so these days they are used more for sticky hands and runny noses, but they're still the first thing we reach for. Our Terry cloth wipes/ wash cloths got scratchy after a few months of the diaper washing routine.

Also, I never had a wipe warmer, but I allways have really warm hands, so I just warmed them up that way. Or, I guess we stored wipes dry and got them wet on the way to the changing table, using warm water. When I stored them wet, they always seemed to get musty after 24 hrs or so.

Happy sewing!

rainbow1284.gifMama to JP (5.5)  weadopted.gif  Gearing up to TTC #2  ~ Blog
#14 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 02:07 PM

I make mine a standard 8x8- all the way down to 4x4.. i use different material.. sherpa, terry, french terry, bamboo and flannel Velour is extra soft..=).. have fun with it, i love cute printed flannel!!!

we have a cute little $1 store basket we store ours in...
HTH's

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#15 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 02:58 AM

Just wanted to chime in, I'm making wipes too!!

Most of ours I already made are just recycled material- an old sweatshirt, reciving blankets, t-shirts, wash cloths, old workout pants, etc.

But for this next babe I bought some cute girly flannel and color coordinating baby terry because all of the others were very "boyish".

Most of the wipes are 7x7 but a few are smaller because I didn't want to waste fabric. Some of the large wipes made from washcloths get used as a doubler for DS's nighttime dipes

I bought a pretty silver metal basket type thing at Joann's that sits on the back of the toilet and wet the wipes as needed.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#16 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
My friend just used wash cloths. She's given me all of hers that are still serviceable & I figure if I need more I'll use up some of my old towels to make more.
We just use terry washcloths and have never felt they were too big, too small, or an unsuitable fabric. The terry texture is good for picking up sticky poop.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page