Toddler crafts to give as gifts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-07-2003, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any suggestions for craft projects they've done with their toddlers to give as gifts? My dd is now old enough (2-1/2) that I think we could do some homeade gifts, but I don't have any ideas yet that have really inspired me yet. I was thinking about maybe decorating picture frames with something, but hadn't gotten much beyond that. I know my family would love these kinds of gifts for Christmas. I'm hoping someone with older kids can pass some of their secrets on to me. D

Thanks!
#2 of 14 Old 11-07-2003, 10:23 PM

Here are some things I've done with my son since he was about 18 months (he's just now 2 1/2):

~Canvas bag - bought a natural canvas bag and painted his handprints/footprints on it.

~Photo/art frame: I bought a box frame and framed one of his "drawings" for each of his grandparents. I've also done the handprint/footprint in frames too.

~Ornaments: We played with play doh one day and he made this really neat blob of all the colors we had. So I squished it into a flat circle like a pancake, poked a hole in the top, let it air dry for a week or so and then I pasted pictures of him on either side of it and hung ribbon through the hole. We ended up making more for other family members because it was so cute! And, much easier than the ceramic ones you have to paint, though we've done those too.

I know there are more, just can't remember them. We have art day twice a week and have been doing projects for Christmas since the end of September....ACK! I know there are more, lemme get back to ya when my brain returns.
#3 of 14 Old 11-07-2003, 11:01 PM

This year we're going to get or make wooden frames and have my 4 year-old decorate hem with me and put her photo in it. I still need to get the details figured out on the frames- decorating should be fun.

I found these frames to use:
http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/IWC...6s%3A672ms%3A+

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#4 of 14 Old 11-07-2003, 11:25 PM

Wow! Those are great ideas! My 18 month old is just now getting to the point where we could try something like that, and I LOVE the ornament idea. Too cute!
I have a really neat book called Family Fun Home, and it has an idea for making placemats that you could easily adapt for a Christmas gift. You would just have your toddler draw on a piece of 12 x 16 poster board and cover with clear Con-Tact paper (or laminate). Easy!
Another fun idea from that book is no-sew scented coasters. You need 2T each of ground cinnamon, ground cloves and ground nutmeg.
You also need 1/4 yard printed fabric, a 9 x 12 piece of felt and 1/4 yard of tightly woven muslin, and some fabric scissors and tacky glue. (Pinking shears would be cutest!) You mix the spices together and set aside. Then cut out eight 5-inch squares from the printed fabric, four 4 inch squares from the felt and eight 4 inch squares from the muslin. Place four of the printed fabric squares right side down on the table. Top each one first wiht a felt square, then with a muslin one.
Sprinkle a spoonful of the spice mix on the center of each muslin square, then apply glue along the edges of the muslin. Top with another muslin square, lightly pressing the edges together so they will hold. Next, apply glue to the edges of the printed fabric that extend beyond the muslin. Top with another printed fabric square, again lightly pressing the edges together. Let the glue dry, and they're ready to go.

If you pre-cut the squares and helped with the gluing, I think a 2.5 year old could make those! And he/she would probably love picking out the fabric.

Anne wife to Phil & mama to Katie
Velvet Blue ::: Seattle Baby/Child/Family Portraits
#5 of 14 Old 11-07-2003, 11:44 PM

The coasters are a great idea!

Last year, I got a double frame, put DD's x-mas picture on one side and on the other side, I traced her handprint with a black permanent marker and then had her color it. Everyone loved it! We've also done mugs with hand/footprints and trivets. This year, I am planning on making calendars some months will have pictures of the kids and others will have DD's drawings. I got 6 or so kits by Avery for $2.00 each! I was so excited. My neighbor has a great printer and won't mind me using it!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#6 of 14 Old 11-08-2003, 12:49 AM

Location: Hot and Humid, Home of the Field Artilery, Ft. Sill, Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally posted by Kerrie

I got 6 or so kits by Avery for $2.00 each! I was so excited.

Where did you get these at?

This sounds like a great idea!

Tawnya
#7 of 14 Old 11-08-2003, 11:15 AM

Last year we baked a lot (DD's favorite thing to do!), and she helped to decorate the boxes that we put the cookies, etc. in. We also went out and found some inexpensive winter themed mugs that had screw on tops and made peppermint hot cocoa to put in them. For this, all I did was put some candy canes in a heavy duty plastic bag and let dd crush them with a rock (I further pulverized the bits in the food processor) and then we mixed them with instant hot cocoa mix.
#8 of 14 Old 11-08-2003, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
last year when dd was almost 2 we made some white polar fleece scarves and hats and let her paint them with red and green fabric paints to make 'em look christmassy. the scarves require absolutely no sewing because you don't have to hem 'cause polar fleece won't unravel. i just fringed the ends. the hats i just made a tube and sewed that, then bunched up one end and tied it and fringed it. quick and easy. dd enjoyed the painting a lot. we had read about kim and carrots in babybug magazine painting a necktie for daddy so she was all into it. don't know what we're gonna do this year. dd's baby brother or sister is due in about 4 weeks!!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#9 of 14 Old 11-08-2003, 04:42 PM

I am planning on buying inexpensive plain wooden christmas ornaments from Michaels for Phineas (he is 2 1/2) to paint, and I'll put his picture and the date on one side. He loves to paint with me, and this will give him a project of his own to work on... We'll give these out to family for Christmas.
I have made a photo Christmas ornament of him every year, and though there are only 2 so far, it is fun to see how much he has grown! This year he will paint his own, so it will be extra special...
#10 of 14 Old 11-08-2003, 06:19 PM

My 20 month old atrist is making all of our christmas cards this year. I have him 3 crayons, and asked him if he would like to draw trees. They're lovely.
#11 of 14 Old 11-08-2003, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
oh, another thing i'm _thinking_ of trying is making candle holders. we made some pretty cute ones for halloween out of tin cans. i rolled up a bunch of magazines and stuffed them in and then i punched holes in the cans with a hammer and nail. for halloween i used 3 cans and spelled B-O-O! then i painted the outside of the two i did black and the inside orange. i let dd go to town on one of the O's and then painted the inside orange. when the candles were lit they glowed a nice orange through the nail holes. for christmas i was thinking maybe trying to punch out a snowman design and painting the inside white and then letting dd go to town with red and green and white on the outside. not sure, but something along those lines maybe. could spell out M-E-R-R-Y or something else short...

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#12 of 14 Old 11-08-2003, 11:17 PM

I got the calendar kits at the Christmas Tree Shop. I think it's a New England chain.

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#13 of 14 Old 11-11-2003, 03:15 AM

Such great ideas!!!
Only thing I can thing to add is if you have a laminator (Xyrons are the best craft thing!) you can laminate pictures he/she has colored or painted (esp the bright painted kind)and cut into strips for bookmarks or cut in shape of picture frame and stick a magnet on back for the frig with their picture on it.
I also did this last year: "Santa" from child's hand
trace their hand on white(foam board works best but construction paper would work too), turn it so the fingers are facing down (beard)
for the palm area (face) have DD/DS help draw eyes and nose/mustache (glitter glue works best)
Cut out hat in red and put on top of palm
Then let DD/DS use silver glitter glue to go over the fingers or "beard" They can get messy here and have fun
These are probably hard to "see" in your head but they are really cute and since they are a hand print you can do one each year to see how they grow. You can do them as an ornament or stick a magnet on the back like I did.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#14 of 14 Old 11-11-2003, 03:30 AM

We made kool-aid playdough one year. It was a blast and he had a great time giving it to all his little friends!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page