Where do I find bean bag filler & sachet filler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-28-2008, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Title explains it all. I want to make a few small (not the chair) bean bags for DD's, and want to start working on some sachet's for gifts.
Where are the best places to find these?
Thanks!

Vicki- Homeschooling Mama to 4 girls
#2 of 7 Old 09-28-2008, 02:54 PM

What sort of filler do you want?

When I make bean bags I usually fill them with rice or lentils (whichever is less expensive in the bulk bins that day), and for sachets I generally go to our local co-op and buy bulk dried herbs/flowers to make whatever scent blend I have in mind.

But are you looking for something more specific? Like those little foam beads you find in some bean bags? Or an online source for bulk dried herbs/flowers?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#3 of 7 Old 09-28-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking the styrofoam beads, but I like the lentil/rice idea MUCH better. I had not even thought of that
I was thinking of using Frontier for dried herbs/flowers, but was wondering there is a less expensive online source.
Thanks

Vicki- Homeschooling Mama to 4 girls
#4 of 7 Old 09-28-2008, 04:57 PM

Beans are the classic "filler" but I find them to be too lumpy/heavy. The rice/lentils just seem to feel better in the hand. But experiment with what you have in the kitchen... you might find the perfect mix!

Hopefully someone will have a fav online supplier. I'm lucky that our local co-op has a great dried herb section. I'll confess to "cheating" a bit on some sachets I made once... I had gathered some herbs from my garden but didn't have enough to fill the bags I'd made. So I used tea bags. I think Frontier or another online herb shop would be a better choice, but if you ever find yourself needing a last minute "smelly" try the tea bag approach.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#5 of 7 Old 09-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Banned

I use rice
#6 of 7 Old 09-28-2008, 09:22 PM

I use lentils in my bean bags too. I tried using beans last time (small beans, like navy beans, I think) and they just didn't feel as nice as the lentils.
#7 of 7 Old 09-29-2008, 12:41 AM

I use flaxseed. It seems to be denser per volume and therefore heavier than other fills. I bake it in the oven to keep it from sprouting, just 5 mins or so at 250* I love the way it feels in the bean bag and it seems to hold the EOs longer than other seed or beans.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page