What to do with outgrown embroidered onesies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-01-2008, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I've been embroidering onesies for my DD, and she's already outgrown one size and is about to outgrow another. It kills me to just stuff them in a drawer when I put so much time and love into them -- how could I use them in another way?

I'm thinking a quilt or something (although this embroidery is the only sewing I've ever done in my life, so quilting might be a little out of my league), but can you make a quilt using onesie material? It's so thin, soft, and stretchy -- it seems like all the quilts I've seen are made from woven fabric.

Any other ideas for how to reuse them?

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#2 of 10 Old 10-01-2008, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You could absolutely make a quilt out of them, you would just want to use something to stiffen up the soft knit of the onsie, like iron-on interfacing. You could also sew the embroidered bits onto an inexpensive muslin, and use that to quilt with. I could also picture a couple of cute little onsies appliqued right onto a quilt, that might look really cute too.
#3 of 10 Old 10-01-2008, 10:53 PM

I have 2 ideas.

1. Cut off the onesies buttons and turn them into T-shirts and they will fit for longer.

2. Cut out the embroidered part and sew it on a different colored shirt or dress, using some cool embroidered design around the edges.
#4 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 12:09 AM

I tend to cut the bottoms off and make shirts.. i serge the bottoms

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#5 of 10 Old 10-08-2008, 07:13 PM

Cut around the design (lovely lovely btw!!) and frame them! Hang them in her room or in the hall or anywhere, they are so sweet!

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#6 of 10 Old 10-08-2008, 11:31 PM

I like the frame idea and the quilt idea. Be sure to iron on interfacing to the entire thing before sewing, cause the onesies are so stretchie, that will help stabalize them.
#7 of 10 Old 10-10-2008, 09:54 AM

Are the onesies just too short on her now? Do the sleeves/shoulders still fit? I saw cute dresses made with a onesie top and a cute print skirt sewn on the bottom. Adorable. Hoping for a girl so I can sew like crazy for her!
#8 of 10 Old 10-10-2008, 09:59 AM

I would carefully cut out the design and then applique it onto a larger shirt.
#9 of 10 Old 10-10-2008, 12:45 PM

Not a very exciting idea- but One Step Ahead has these onesie extender things that make the onesie last up to 6 months past the size that it is for. It is just a piece of fabric that snaps onto the snaps inbetween the legs of the onesie to make it longer. It doesnt look that great, but you can always put pants or shorts on over it to hide it. The great thing about them is that you can keep resusing them until your child is out of onesies. We used onesies on our son in some capacity until he was 2 1/2.
#10 of 10 Old 10-15-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks for the ideas! The batch of onesies I linked a picture to are actually too tight around her torso, so I couldn't make them into t-shirts or use onesie extenders (although I love the idea of turning them into dresses -- I'll have to remember that for the future!).

I love the idea of cutting out the shapes and sewing them onto other articles of clothing. I actually saw something like that the other day -- 3 flowers were sewn (appliqued? I don't know the difference) onto the hip/side of a onesie, and then green stems were embroidered directly onto the onesie -- something like that would work perfectly for the floral onesie in my picture. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page