Musical mamas? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 03-15-2009, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Music was my life as a kid. I sang with my mom all the time as a toddler/young kid, and really want to start singing in a choir or SOMETHING soon. I want to take voice lessons just for fun. I also play the piano, guitar and harmonica except I haven't touched any of them since DS was born. It's killing me! I hope to start up with guitar again next month... and someday we'll own a piano again!

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#32 of 41 Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 PM

I play the flute. I used to play it in college and in my old church's choir. Although, it's been a while since I've picked it up. I would love to find a city band, church choir or community orchestra to join but there just isn't anything like that out here. If you want to join a band you have to sign up for a music class at one of the local colleges. I don't know if I want to do that.
#33 of 41 Old 06-08-2009, 12:10 PM

Viva la Musica!

I'm glad I found this thread as I was going to start a new one!

I teach private voice and piano at my home studio. I trained in opera, piano and clarinet although I play other intruments as well (my mom was an opera singer/band teacher/music teacher). I am learning violin and guitar at the moment and I also play sax, trumpet and oboe. DP is a musician and plays guitar.

Laura WAHM to Mar 03/01/05 and Evie 05/14/08, partner to Craig
#34 of 41 Old 07-04-2009, 12:33 AM

I dabble!

I've been playing viola (violinists, feel free to insert your viola joke here!) since I was 9, with small breaks in between. I'm feeling a little lost at the moment, I had played in a pit orchestra for Army Community Theatre last fall for their production of "Oliver!" and I was hoping to start in this season with their performances that needed strings, but one of the shows that I think could use strings, happens to run over my due date. Yes, the theatre is one highway exit away from the hospital where my midwife is located, but that doesn't mean I feel like hauling my large, pregnant self out of the pit in labor! There's some shows after that I'm not sure about, but even then, I don't think slinging my newborn in the pit is really efficient, and I'm pretty twitchy about leaving my baby with anyone. Oh well, maybe next season.

I'm attempting to self-teach myself guitar-- my husband thought I'd need a hobby, and bought me an electric guitar. I'm still working on that.

I tried to teach my daughter to play violin, but she decided that playing a string instrument "was just way too hard" and decided to go brass-- she's turning into an amazing trumpet player, but I'm helpless when it comes to tutoring her on anything other than pitch and what's on her sheet music! Eep! Oh well, I love her anyway.

I'm really hoping that this child is happier with my playing than DD was. I had stopped playing for a couple years, because every time I tried to play, she'd cry!

Angie, proud Army wife to Dan, mom to Kat (4/00) and Gracie (11/09)!!
#35 of 41 Old 10-19-2009, 05:43 PM

Hey music parents..is everyone out gigging right now??

I'm an oboist, was a teacher, but now staying home with my daughters. I also sing, so I'm singing in a local chorale and playing sub in the orchestra. I'm also trying to make my own reeds, and that's pretty slow-going. I need help with that.. I also help out with local music projects as needed.

Vojerleda :yawning, sahp to (03/06)dd1 and (11/08) dd2 , married & living on the border w/dh .
#36 of 41 Old 10-24-2009, 07:44 PM

Yeah, where is everyone! I'm an opera singer, I sing and teach voice and piano to help make ends meet. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to learn music with a baby in the house! I usually put in the Ergo and practice with her on my back. In fact, I had a staging rehearsal for an opera last week and I wore her during the rehearsal. I hope the director wasn't too miffed. Anyway, I'm glad there's a musician parent troup here on MDC!
#37 of 41 Old 10-26-2009, 11:06 PM

I read in the October issue of Time Out New York Kids about an opera singer from the Metropolitan Opera, Heidi Grant Murphy, who just released a CD Lullabies and Nightsongs. I found her story about raising 4 children while having an Opera career facinating.

http://newyorkkids.timeout.com/artic...murphy-profile
#38 of 41 Old 10-31-2009, 01:36 PM

Hey, cool tribe! My DP plays music (mostly piano and guitar but he loves drums and really everything else too.) I mostly just dabble- I played violin forever but I can't remember how anymore as much as I'd like to. I love playing guitar but I feel like I haven't played much since getting pregnant so that's over 2 years. I'm trying to learn to sing- it's going marginally well.

Anyway, Hello Musical Parents!!!!
#39 of 41 Old 07-15-2010, 03:07 PM

woah, this thread is a little old! I have a 2month old now, so I don't get to play much at all, but I've played violin on and off for 13 years now. I have been trying to get into fiddle, but am having a hard time making the transition (it would be awesome if I could find a fiddler locally to help me along, but no luck yet). ultimately, i'd like to learn cello or 5 string viola/violin. I love the viola, it's just such a shame that violists so seldom get cool parts in an orchestra (but I won't have the opportunity to play in an orchestra for some time anyway). Oh yeah, and I was taught in the school program (yay for the arts in schools!!) I also have a 3 yo and 6 yo. My 6 yo son has a rented violin (i offered different instruments, this is the one he chose), I plan to enroll him in classes soon (we just moved and things are starting to settle down again). Any tips would be cool!
#40 of 41 Old 07-16-2010, 12:00 PM

Welcome I know I'm still here, since i subscribed to this thread. I've got no hints on moving from fiddling from classical violin, but if you can't find a teacher, I'd get a bunch of recordings of bluegrass and folk fiddling and just see what I could copy. You might have more luck like that.
I spent the greater part of last orchestra season as a temp with our local symphony, and really enjoyed playing. It was a little stressful for me, since I also had to miss one performance due to gallbladder surgery, but you do what you can, right? I like working on the temp basis, even though I kept being asked back; I like the ability to say no, even though I never did until I literally couldn't play any more.
which reminds me- I need reeds, like yesterday.

Welcome, SaoirseC!

Vojerleda :yawning, sahp to (03/06)dd1 and (11/08) dd2 , married & living on the border w/dh .
#41 of 41 Old 07-16-2010, 01:22 PM

Some of my violin students had a Master Class with a fantastic fiddle player a few years ago. He talked about some of the differences between playing as a classically trained violinist and playing as a fiddler. Here are a few of his fiddle tips:

- Playing fiddle, the bow stays on the string almost all of the time. Fiddlers keep the a low bowhair tension. They don't need the tension for off-the-string technique, and the low tension spreads the horsehair flat for more sound.

- Vibrato is used as an ornament in fiddle playing.

- Playing ballads, the bow stroke is absolutely even and smooth.

I agree that listening is the biggest step. Find a fiddler who has the sound you want, and listen like crazy! If you can find a live performance, even better. Take your binoculars and check out every aspect of their technique.

I do think it's hard to go from classically trained technique to fiddle. Even though I know the techniques, I haven't practiced them enough to get the sound. 'Knowledge is not skill. Knowledge times 10,000 is a skill.' One of my favorite quotes from Dr. Suzuki.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page