Musical mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 10-08-2008, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
THE MUSICAL PARENTS THREAD

I've searched but can't find anything for mamas (parents) who like to play music...anyone interested in starting a tribe to chat about all things musical?

Shall I kick things off?

Instruments I play: Fiddle (played for 14 years as a kid, just picked it up again a year ago), Mandolin (just started this year)

type of music I like to play: IRISH (yay!), Scottish, oldtime, bluegrass

So my question for any musical mamas is: how often do you get to play (out) these days? do you have a "crew" (or band) to play or jam with?

Hope some other folks are interested in this!

peace,
robyn
#2 of 41 Old 10-09-2008, 02:29 AM

i play drums.
my husband and i play in a band together so that has made it hard for us to continue playing gigs since having a child. our daughter is 2 and a half. she loves going to the studio to practice with us. she takes her own case of instruments and alternates between them, and sitting on my lap drumming with me. practice is ok, but gigs are hard with her!

i think we have to start new bands. his and mine. that way we can play out sometimes.
#3 of 41 Old 10-09-2008, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I sing in two choirs. I would like to learn to play fiddle, actually.
#4 of 41 Old 10-09-2008, 02:51 AM

Can I join if I'm not a mama? Cause I play piano, guitar and saxaphone. Mostly rock or classical, occasionally jazz.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#5 of 41 Old 10-09-2008, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Can I join if I'm not a mama? Cause I play piano, guitar and saxaphone. Mostly rock or classical, occasionally jazz.
Mea culpa - of course!!!! So this should be the "Musical Parents" thread....

peace,
robyn
#6 of 41 Old 10-09-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
I'm gonna subscribe here, because music was my life as a child, through college and until I met DH

Not sure why but somehow I kinda dropped out.

I sing, and play piano, and played flute from I think 6 or 7 years old.

How do I start with the sax? I've been wanting to for a really long time and I don't see whynot. With my kids 2.5 and 4.5 now, I want them to have the opportunity to be involved in music. Should I just go to my music store and rent one and sign up for lessons? I NEED to get an instrument in my hands again. My flute got damaged moving too and I'm thinking of replacing it also
#7 of 41 Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 PM

DH ad I met in a band. I actually auditioned him!!! haha He obviously got the job!
anyway, I sing and dh plays guitar. We haven't played out much for a few years. A few friends house parties, but that's about it. DH really wants to play out more, so last night he went to an open jamm. After playing, he got a bunch of business cards from people. So hopefully he'll hook up with a gig. My one stipulation -- no female singers!!
Lately, my musical outlets are playing for and teaching my 2 kiddos! DS is learning piano and guitar and DD is totally a natural singer: We love singing all the songs from Miss Spider's Sunny Patch!!

Kelly : mama to Austin and Isabella Wife to Rockin'Rollin'Rick :
#8 of 41 Old 10-09-2008, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Gosh I didn't even answer my own question LOL

I usually go out once a week to play Irish music. There is a local slow-play group that I started with a year ago which was great to get back in practice. I'm still going to that group even though I've kind of "graduated" from it because I'm still not ready for the lightening fast session at the pub here yet. I also only know about 40-50 tunes so I can only play about one out every 10 songs at the pub LOL Lucky for me they started a new group in the slow-play session of folks that are sort of intermediate and we are learning whatever tunes someone wants to bring in and play - we're trying to learn by ear!

I also take lessons once a week from the fiddler in our local Celtic band here in SF. I've been studying with him for about a year. The best compliment I got when I was playing one time was like "hey you play like Steve Gardner" (my teacher). He's gotten me started on the Mando lately - so I'm entering a whole new world chords and accompaniment. The funny thing is that I never had much use for music theory as a kid - but now that I'm trying to figure out the underlying chords and stuff for the music, it's all making sense now. When you're a melody instrument, it's harder to understand why you need to know all that stuff - you just play the notes, KWIM?

Anyway that's what I'm doing these days - and going to the occassional musical party here and there. My husband wants to get me doing old-time music but when can I find the time? LOL

My kids are interested in my instruments but too young to really take lessons yet (2 and 5 - 5yo is learning delayed so she needs to wait)...hopefully one day!

No clue about Sax but I would just look in craigslist to see if there are any teachers. Or check the high school -sometimes the high school kids will teach lessons to earn money....I would definitely rent before buying an instrument - unless you think you will get frustrated with the quality of a rented instrument....

I have a $50 banjo that does me just fine for a few lessons and noodling on...LOL

peace,
robyn
#9 of 41 Old 10-10-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
I'm gonna subscribe here, because music was my life as a child, through college and until I met DH

How do I start with the sax? I've been wanting to for a really long time and I don't see whynot. With my kids 2.5 and 4.5 now, I want them to have the opportunity to be involved in music. Should I just go to my music store and rent one and sign up for lessons? I NEED to get an instrument in my hands again. My flute got damaged moving too and I'm thinking of replacing it also
It depends on how musically inclined you are.

Since you've had music lessons before you might beable to pull of learning without official lessons. The biggest chang would be fingering, but you can get fingering charts. If your nervious about trying without lessens you can sign up for one or two preliminary ones to learn the basics and see how you do. Its also a good idea to start with a softer reed, the harder the reed the more dificult it is to play.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#10 of 41 Old 10-10-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

How many of you are self-taught? Or have one or more instruments you picked up on your own? Did you start as a child or adult?

I've always had lessons (violin/fiddle, banjo, mando)....violin was as a child, others as an adult.

Also, any tips on learning to sing??? The only tip I've ever gotten was "sing with the radio in your car" LOL

peace,
robyn
#11 of 41 Old 10-10-2008, 02:31 PM

I'm completely self taught. I learned the guitar as a child, the piano as a teen (my dad wanted to get me to put down the guitar so he bought a piano ) and the sax as an adult when dd wanted to learn and we couldn't afford lessons.

With learning to sing, I personally would find someone with a good ear to help you learn. It's harder to judge how you sound by your self.

#12 of 41 Old 10-10-2008, 07:57 PM

Thanks! I pretty much lost all contact with music teachers since moving to the other side of Wa years ago....

I think I'll swing in to the music shop this weekend and seew ho they have for lessons
#13 of 41 Old 10-10-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Do you remember your flute fingerings? Sax and flute have similiar fingerings. You should start with a good teacher to get the right embouchure. The local ms or hs band director could also point you in the right direction.
#14 of 41 Old 10-10-2008, 10:32 PM

I'm a grad student in musicology. My bachelor's degree is in vocal performance but I only do a little singing nowadays.
#15 of 41 Old 10-10-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymonkey View Post
Do you remember your flute fingerings? Sax and flute have similiar fingerings. You should start with a good teacher to get the right embouchure. The local ms or hs band director could also point you in the right direction.
I do, and thanks for the tip. I am looking at flutes right now as mine happen to be in the ONE box the movers couldn't locate

I do feel like I need a teacher because I prefer being formally trained. Boy I'm glad to see this thread it's motivating
#16 of 41 Old 10-10-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I do, and thanks for the tip. I am looking at flutes right now as mine happen to be in the ONE box the movers couldn't locate

I do feel like I need a teacher because I prefer being formally trained. Boy I'm glad to see this thread it's motivating
Good luck with all of that!

#17 of 41 Old 10-12-2008, 02:44 PM

Hello fellow musicians! I'm Clara. I've been playing the fiddle since I was 5. I come from a very musical family. We all played an instrument. We had a family band and traveled around performing. We also did the fiddle contest circuit in CA. It was lots of fun. I took lessons for 7 years.

When I was 12 my family picked up and moved across the country from CA to NH. Our music kind of fell by the wayside. We did some playing but we just didn't have the contacts on the East Coast. I'll spare you the long life story.
Currently, I teach lessons. My brother is phenomenal on the guitar and we played some gigs together which was awesome. We aren't living in the same state right now, but I would really like for us to start performing together again.

I'm also a self-taught guitar player and I used to play the mandolin but it's been awhile. My kids appear to be very musically inclined. We have a lot of fun singing. I play bluegrass, swing, oldtime American music, celtic etc.

Music is my life. I live and breathe music. I'm glad that you all are here. It's been hard for me to make my music a priority with my kids being small. It's so hard getting interrupted 500x in a practice session. I guess ya'll will understand that. Thanks for starting this Robyn!
#18 of 41 Old 10-16-2008, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Just checking back in everyone!

So my DD (5) has been home for the jewish holidays (she goes to a jewish preschool). My fiddle teacher comes to my house for lessons and this week DD came down and listened to the lesson for a bit. She was only minimally disruptive and it seemed to rekindle her interest in fiddle.

Her brother (2) also came down while I was practicing this week and insisted on trying out every instrument, including using the picks and so on. He has alot more fine motor control than his sister so it was funny to see him strumming the mando!

But both kids HATE it when I sing (which is not often) - what is that all about? Is my voice THAT bad? LOL

Anyway I hope that one or both of them will be interested in learning an instrument someday....

So how DO you make time for practicing without the little ones all over you?

I usually wait until they are in bed or I make DH "watch" them for an hour. He's usually willing because if I'm in a REALLY bad mood I can go down, practice, then come back up totally a new woman and HAPPY. But I really can't practice during the day when it's just me with them....

others' stories?

peace,
robyn
#19 of 41 Old 10-17-2008, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just moved a performing arts and a photography tribe to fine arts, and I should probably bump you over there too. We're making an effort to follow the FYT guidelines and limit this forum to tribes not hosted in other areas of MDC.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#20 of 41 Old 10-18-2008, 02:31 AM

My little one always practiced with me LOL

Music is such a staple of life in our house, that if it's not on the radio or tv, someone is either playing an insturment or singing.

#21 of 41 Old 10-19-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome all - did everyone make the move with us? It took me going into my email to find it LOL

Anyway, welcome everyone - anyone else want to start a question for the other musicians here?

peace,
robyn
#22 of 41 Old 10-25-2008, 08:57 PM

Hello all!

I have always been musical, thanks to my parents, who first trained me to sing by shape notes before I even started school. My elementary music teacher was really confused by shape notes, hehe.

I play some piano and played clarinet for ten years, but don't pick it up much anymore. I used to play orchestral cello (fairly seriously for about 5 years), but am busy trying to workout playing bluegrass on the cello. I recently took up the fiddle, but am still a BEGINNER. My FIL has been playing banjo for 30 years and my BIL plays a little guitar. My husband plays mandolin, so of course, they nominated me for the fiddle.

I really want to learn to play the washboard, but I think my 4 yo is better at it than me!
#23 of 41 Old 10-27-2008, 01:40 AM

Hi all! I play viola professionally, and teach Suzuki method violin and viola. I started playing violin when I was 7 and switched to viola a year later. I love what I do, although lately I've been wishing that I could teach less and perform more. Maybe someday we can afford for me to do that!

I just finished a concert week with one orchestra. We're in the middle of a 2 year search for a Music Director. I really liked this conductor! His musical intent was always clear. Next week, my other orchestra starts rehearsing for La Boheme. We're doing a semi-staged version with the orchestra onstage.

I'm getting ready to play a solo recital in 3 weeks. I've been looking at my calendar thinking "I really thought I'd have more practice time!" I don't know where I got that silly idea! I did get two great weeks of vacation, watching the palm trees sway while I practiced.

My son just started playing violin this Fall. We had actually tried about 1 1/2 years earlier, but it didn't click the first time around. Now he's having some success and is excited to learn. We homeschool, so violin is part of our school day.
#24 of 41 Old 10-31-2008, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hey there! Just checking in!

Bluegrass cello - how cool! there is a band that has a bluegrass cello player in it...I'll try to remember who it is - there is a bunch of videos of them on youtube...

There is a cello player who sometimes comes to our local session....pretty cool to hear celtic cello....

good to hear that you can restart an instument later with more success - I started DD on violin but I think she needs some more time to mature - she just turned 5....

welcome all and let's keep talking music!
peace,
robyn

eta: Crooked Still is the name of the band - here's a link!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlyaX...eature=related
#25 of 41 Old 11-01-2008, 01:24 AM

Thanks for the link!

I'll check into it after NaNoWriMo
#26 of 41 Old 11-02-2008, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to figure out how much an instrument was worth? A while ago I found a link that you could type in the maker/year of your instrument and get and approximate amount but I didn't bookmark the link and now I can't find it!

peace,
robyn
#27 of 41 Old 12-14-2008, 02:18 PM

Oh wow I'm glad to see this thread here! I never knew there was a fine arts forum!

I just purchased a new Jupiter flute so I am :.

My intentions are to find a saxophone teacher, but I cannot afford to buy another instrument. I was thinking of renting a used one for now. Renting or even renting to own is kind of throwing away money to me but I guess renting a used one for a while wouldn't be bad?
#28 of 41 Old 02-01-2009, 05:21 PM

bump
hello i'm getting my first real ukulele blisters today!
#29 of 41 Old 03-15-2009, 12:23 PM

Another violist here (hi ebethmom! How did your recital go?)
I play professionally, in the local symphony. I play chamber music too, whenever I get the opportunity. I also teach but I'm finding that to be a bit too much, and will either quit that or totally cut back on my students next year. I've done far too little practicing since my daughter was born a year ago- i have been totally coasting- but I really need to do some honest to goodness woodshedding soon.

veggiemomma- yes, another vote for checking out Crooked Still- their bluegrass cellist is amazing

robyn- I'd take my instrument in to a dealer for an appraisal
#30 of 41 Old 03-15-2009, 07:20 PM

Hi Fireweed! I miss my practice time, too. We played a really hard program last night. LOTS of notes! Symphonic Metamorphosis was on the program.

I've taken breaks from teaching before. I was surprised to find that I didn't miss it at all. When I am teaching, I love it. But I would rather spend more time with my own kids.

I've also taken breaks from performing. I felt like someone had reached inside me and ripped out a chunk of my soul! When we can afford it (if my dh gets any kind of raise) then I'll cut back some on teaching.

My recital went pretty well. There were some things that didn't go like I had practiced. I am glad that I worked up a program.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page