Homemade git ideas for MEN! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2008, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My husband has really been wanting some waterproof rifle bags for hunting, a new cover for our boat, a new bag for his decoys (the one I made him split on the bottom... Gotta reinforce that because he drags it!).

While I don't forsee myself making all of these for my husband for the holidays, I *did* google 'outdoor sewing patterns' or something like that and came up with a bunch of nice patterns for outdoorsy sports and outdoor things - including fishing jackets, hiking jackets, covers for lawn mowers and the like. SO that's an idea for the 'outdoorsey' guy, if you have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks! I do have an outdoorsy guy on my list (well a couple, actually) so this might be helpful!

Take care,
El

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormySar View Post
My husband has really been wanting some waterproof rifle bags for hunting, a new cover for our boat, a new bag for his decoys (the one I made him split on the bottom... Gotta reinforce that because he drags it!).

While I don't forsee myself making all of these for my husband for the holidays, I *did* google 'outdoor sewing patterns' or something like that and came up with a bunch of nice patterns for outdoorsy sports and outdoor things - including fishing jackets, hiking jackets, covers for lawn mowers and the like. SO that's an idea for the 'outdoorsey' guy, if you have one.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:11 PM

Knitted socks or a hat might work well

Mama to 3 amazing boys, ages 9, 7 and 21 months. 

Old 11-30-2008, 06:13 PM

This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing

Mama to 3 amazing boys, ages 9, 7 and 21 months. 

Old 12-01-2008, 01:19 PM

I made raspberry brandy for my dad this year. Just cover fresh berries with brandy and stir in enough sugar to make it sweet. I let it sit in a jar for about a week, shaking every day or two, then strain and bottle.

If you're in a 4-season climate, an emergency kit for the vehicle is a good idea. In a small duffel bag, include things like candles, emergency blankets, booster cables, a folding shovel, bag of gravel, power bars, etc. I like this gift because it also says "I care about your safety". These sites have more ideas:
http://getprepared.ca/_fl/carkit-eng.pdf
http://www.cbc.ca/stevenandchris/200...y_car_kit.html

My bachelor brothers all like the cookie-mix in a jar with clear baking instructions.

Not homemade, but used books or favorite magazines (or subscriptions) are nice for simple gifts. A couple titles I gave to the men in my life last year were Juxtapoz art mag, and Freakonomics (book).
Old 12-03-2008, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchick View Post
Do you knit? I've had good luck giving the Irish Hiking Scarf. And it's not a bear to knit.

I just looked at the link...done in brown it doens't look nearly as girly as that lovely blue!
I made it in a black and grey yarn. I found some funky silk screened patches and sewed them on the end. They were a hit! They knit up fast too, I made 4 from Dec 1st to Dec 26th all while taking breaks to knit a sweater in between. Oh and I knitted a few hats in that time frame. ***** Caution ***** I did get tendinitis.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:10 AM

LOL @ your caution... I totally can tell when I've been knitting too much. (Not that I find tendinitis funny)

I made the IHK too, but it wasn't for anyone on my Christmas list. I intend to make another one for DH for Christmas, it's already started but no where near done. I found it to be a pretty quick knit once you get into the groove, though.

Take care,
El
Old 12-03-2008, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I ended up using some box bag tutorials to make up shaving kits in personalized funny prints. Then I found some shaving soap in manly scents on etsy to put something in the bag. I think they turned out really cute! I want to make another couple for me: one for make-up and one to drag around whatever project I'm working on. I'd link the tutorial, but no one tutorial was easy to understand! The first bag made me use my seam ripper!!! I think I'm going to combine the tutorials and make a new one after Christmas!

The final man gift is sort of a cheat...I'm trading someone on etsy---she's making my husband a manly Harry Potter scarf and hat (:P) and I'm making her son a Daddy doll while his Dad's on deployment. But don't knock swaps!!! We're both getting a good deal out of it!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3901sca View Post
The final man gift is sort of a cheat...I'm trading someone on etsy---she's making my husband a manly Harry Potter scarf and hat (:P) and I'm making her son a Daddy doll while his Dad's on deployment. But don't knock swaps!!! We're both getting a good deal out of it!
SWAPS ROCK!!!!

that is how i got this scarf for my hubby. (it turned out great)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemnop View Post
I made the IHK too, but it wasn't for anyone on my Christmas list.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:13 PM

i'm knitting sleeves for those to-go coffee cups. i have a lot of coffee drinkers in my life.

with my pattern it took me about 45 minutes from start to finish to complete one.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:57 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I am making vanilla and mint extract the same way - you just let it site for longer and put in more vanilla beans/mint. Not exactly for men though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_mich View Post
I just kind of make it up but I would suggest straining the infused vodka putting it in your gift bottles and adding fresh fruit. It will looks so much prettier. I would not do the straining step with the bloody mary vodka. If you do the bloody mary vodka a cute side gift would be some pickled delights for the drink. On a tooth pick like a kabob add mini pickles, pepperchinies, cocktail onion, and olives then place in jar with some pickle juice. These are what makes a bloody mary in Montana!!

I found this link for a better idea than "I just make it up!" I love the peach lavender idea yum!!

http://www.wikihow.com/Infuse-Vodka-With-Flavor

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
--"stress dolls"... looks like a computer, or the boss, but basically a beanbag that can be thrown at the wall when necessary.

OK, I HAVE to see a pic or a tut for the computer "stress doll", that would be p.e.r.f.e.c.t!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
Old 12-06-2008, 10:32 AM

my mom once made a bag for my dad's fly fishing pole out of old jeans. I don't remember much about it though, lol.

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

Old 12-07-2008, 02:06 AM

I'm making fire starters by dipping pine cones in parrafin. I'll put them in a basket, and add some long matches. Any other ideas to add to that kind of basket?

I love the idea of a corduroy/flannel type recliner quilt. Might do that too....
Old 12-07-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabohl View Post
my mom once made a bag for my dad's fly fishing pole out of old jeans. I don't remember much about it though, lol.
I made a bag for my husband's bow(he's a bass player)but I don't imagine there's a big market for that.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy&Will View Post
I'm making fire starters by dipping pine cones in parrafin. I'll put them in a basket, and add some long matches. Any other ideas to add to that kind of basket?

I love the idea of a corduroy/flannel type recliner quilt. Might do that too....
Will any variety of pine cone work? Where do you get the parrafin? I want to do this too.
Thanks!
Old 12-07-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaT View Post
Will any variety of pine cone work? Where do you get the parrafin? I want to do this too.
Thanks!
I think any variety pine cone will work.

I bought the parrafin i the candle making section at Michael's. You can also use beeswax - it would smell really good but more pricey. I am going to try mixing the two and see how that goes....
Old 12-09-2008, 02:51 AM

mustard bath, a hidden book (YA KNOW ONE OF THSOE BOXES THAT LOOK LIKE A BOOK)
oops caps lock, sorry.

car misters with essential oils, hmmm....i know i had more ideas before i started writting, :LOL:

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!

User Tag List