sewing circle...come join : ) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 169 Old 10-29-2008, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've actually finished two projects and started two more. I've finished the "Peg Bag" I made my mom for Christmas and some babylegs for dd. Last night and today I worked on a Waldorf inspired "knotty" doll and cut out the pieces to make dd a pair of soft soled shoes.

The doll will be for dd for Christmas, but the shoes will be for now since we seem to be leaving a trail of socks behind us wherever we go. She just won't keep them on so I was hoping a pair of shoes would at least make it more difficult. If they turn out halfway decent I'll probably make another pair for her for Christmas and use leather for the bottom sole instead.

mystic~mama thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it so I can get back to it later!

After the Christmas present making present frenzy in addition to the stuff I want to make for the house I'm also thinking about starting on dd's costume for next year. I got the pattern on sale at Joann's and I figure since it's a bit more complicated I'd probably need to start soon so I get it done in time.
#62 of 169 Old 10-29-2008, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

hi pamperedmom~ i want to do some slippers/soft soled shoes...at dd's former waldorf they made them out of wool socks and leather I was going to try to come up w/something...i'm spending more time here than sewing lately so i'm going to sew now...i really want to do these....
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=177482.0

blessings~

dust.gif
#63 of 169 Old 10-30-2008, 12:21 AM
DBZ

wow that is an awesome tutorial. I want to do that too!

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#64 of 169 Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 AM

Awesome project lists! I'm so impressed!

I'm a knitter, too (better than I sew) and, PamperedMom, your post reminded me that I've been wanting to knit some Babylegs for a friend's little one. Thanks!

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#65 of 169 Old 10-30-2008, 02:26 PM

I love this! I am a member of several craft/sewing boards, but I find it intimidating to jump in with my projects. I just finished ds's Riddler costume last night. I don't have a ton of time to sew right now with a 3 month old, but I have finished a few other projects including a bunting and hat for the baby, a new pair of wide leg denim trousers for me, a nursing shirt, and reconstructing my favorite old Blondie tee into a romper, oh and a couple sets of babylegs.

On my to do list: More post baby clothes for me, a new corduroy winter coat for ds, Christmas outfits for me, baby, and dh, the couch cover and throw pillows. And I'm making a new vintage style apron for my sil's collection for her Christmas present. Before the baby, I was able to get about half of my diapers made, but I had all the ones I used for ds as well. Diaper making is just sooo monotonous. I get bored and have to start something else.

I have a fairly ancient Kenmore that I got for free. I just try tokeep it well maintained. It's not fancy ,but it gets the job done, and it's a tank and will stand up to all kinds of abuse.
#66 of 169 Old 10-30-2008, 02:52 PM

mystic~mama - neat bag tutorial! I would think that a wool sock with leather bottom would be a simple solution for shoes.

I started sewing the back of the shoes from the pattern I got and then realized that it wasn't quite going to work the way it should. The pattern has such tiny seam allowances and then there's the curve detail that I have difficulties following on such a small piece. I'm actually going to take the back from the pattern and merge it with another back from a different pattern to come up with something new. Have to head off to the fabric store for more fabric though since the width of the fabric I have probably won't quite be enough (the pieces barely fit before which is also part of the issue I think). I had gone with the quantity the pattern called for, but had almost bought more the first time. Should have gone with my gut!
#67 of 169 Old 10-30-2008, 03:20 PM

Did someone say corduroy coat or am I dreaming? This coat pattern would look great done corduroy.
#68 of 169 Old 10-31-2008, 01:40 AM

Ooh, I like. Actually, it's not too different from what I was planning. My son wants a justaucorps. Kinda scary project, but I'm up for the challenge, and the corduroy was found while cleaning out my grandmother's basement. My cousin and I are still haggling over who gets what out of the stash.
#69 of 169 Old 10-31-2008, 03:06 AM
DBZ

OMG that is AMAZING!!!! WOW

#70 of 169 Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 AM

I have to say that pirate coat looks amazing but I am SOO intimidated by that project! I CANNOT wait to see it when it's finished!

As for me - I am currently honing my skills on pin tucks. I attempted some of them on one of my skirts and they just screamed home sew-er. I am trying again on DD corduroy pants and it seems to be going much better.

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#71 of 169 Old 11-01-2008, 04:34 PM

I am so enjoying reading about all of your projects here. I'm going to try that shopping bag by the way...what a nice, detailed tutorial. I am working on making Christmas cards right now. Yeah, I know it's a little early. My idea is to make handmade paper for the cards and envelopes, then I'm going to make some ornaments to put on the front that can be removed, obviously, for use on the tree. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for an adhesive that I could use to affix the ornament, which will have a felt backing, to the paper and would be easy to remove? any suggestions would be much appreciated.
#72 of 169 Old 11-01-2008, 05:36 PM

I'd love to jump in here. I'm currently working on a purse, a giraffe stuffed toy, altered jeans, and a bunch of Christmas themed things for my etsy store. It's going to be a VERY busy November!

Take care,
El
#73 of 169 Old 11-02-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorified_rice View Post
I am working on making Christmas cards right now. Yeah, I know it's a little early. My idea is to make handmade paper for the cards and envelopes, then I'm going to make some ornaments to put on the front that can be removed, obviously, for use on the tree. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for an adhesive that I could use to affix the ornament, which will have a felt backing, to the paper and would be easy to remove? any suggestions would be much appreciated.
What about gluing or in some way incorporating a ribbon into the hand-made paper and then tying the ornament to that, so that it could easily be untied without ruining the card or the ornament?
#74 of 169 Old 11-02-2008, 12:34 AM
DBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorified_rice View Post
I am so enjoying reading about all of your projects here. I'm going to try that shopping bag by the way...what a nice, detailed tutorial. I am working on making Christmas cards right now. Yeah, I know it's a little early. My idea is to make handmade paper for the cards and envelopes, then I'm going to make some ornaments to put on the front that can be removed, obviously, for use on the tree. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for an adhesive that I could use to affix the ornament, which will have a felt backing, to the paper and would be easy to remove? any suggestions would be much appreciated.
How about a button attached to the card? That way your ornament could sort of hang off of that?

#75 of 169 Old 11-02-2008, 12:40 AM
DBZ

Over the last few day the idea of throwing my machine out the window has crossed my mind a time or two. I can't get a zig zag stitch to work right to save my life so I called some sewing machine repair guy and he suggested changing the needle. I did that and the result was a normal straight stitch was all messed up. I realize that this could be all operator error but I decided to take my machine to place that oils, cleans, adjusts, etc. to make sure all that is in order. I don't know how I am going to pay for that, but I'll worry about that next week LOL. I need someone to teach me the basics. I've been just winging it for so long, that I'm afraid I just haven't got a clue if I am doing anything right.

#76 of 169 Old 11-02-2008, 07:42 AM

I have a couple of things cut out to finish, 2 purses, a top and ruffle pants set for dd, a dress for me, but most importantly dd quilt.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#77 of 169 Old 11-02-2008, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the good ideas mamas. I'm going to experiment with a few.
#78 of 169 Old 11-02-2008, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay! Well, I finished the costumes (phew! thanks, by the way, pumpkin, I'll see if I can actually get the film developed and put on disc in the next little while to put up...yes, I still use an old fashioned SLR, I just like them better, and can't afford the SLR style digital nikon that I'd use other wise...so, onward I tramp!).

Tonight I will start to sew the faces on the bunnies, who now have ears. Hopefully by Wednesday I will have given them arms and shipped them off! She needs them up for Christmas.

THEN the list will look like this:

Some of those awesome t-shirt bags, as gifts. The stores around here credit us for bringing our own, so they'll actually make great christmas gifts for my mom and sister, who can always use the extra pennies...and will be great fun for my kids to decorate, to boot!

done with the peasant skirt

I have two jumpers to make for Dd.

I have three pair of pants to make for Dd...preferably before mid-november, when it gets cold around here.

Nine sock bunnies. I traded a friend for them for some web design work.

I am hoping to make my neice a couple pair of flannel jammy pants for X-mas.
I also told her mom I'd make her a dark pink sparkly tutu. I have the netting and ribbon, that will be an hour job, tops.

I am hoping to make each of us (dh, dd, ds, and myself) a pair of jammy pants for Christmas Morning.

Friend is due Christmas Day. I am making I think a dozen diapers and six covers for her in a size small.

Wow. I STILL need to get busy!!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#79 of 169 Old 11-03-2008, 11:53 AM

A weekend trip to a family wedding killed my idea of making DD costume onesie for Halloween, but I'm still planning on making it. It's too cute not to.

I did finish the outfits for the Highland Games. This is my friends and I at the games. We all made everything we and our babies are wearing. We're planning to get together to sew again sometime soon. 2 of us can sew while the 3rd wrangles babies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
Over the last few day the idea of throwing my machine out the window has crossed my mind a time or two. I can't get a zig zag stitch to work right to save my life so I called some sewing machine repair guy and he suggested changing the needle. I did that and the result was a normal straight stitch was all messed up. I realize that this could be all operator error but I decided to take my machine to place that oils, cleans, adjusts, etc. to make sure all that is in order. I don't know how I am going to pay for that, but I'll worry about that next week LOL. I need someone to teach me the basics. I've been just winging it for so long, that I'm afraid I just haven't got a clue if I am doing anything right.

I know that "throw the machine out the window" feeling well. Mine probably needs service, but I can afford it. It's the zigzag that always screws up on mine too. I've found that sometimes re-winding a new bobbin makes it work better. Good luck!

ETA My machine service place offers beginning sewing classes. Maybe yours does too. They're expensive here though, unless you buy a machine form them. You could aso check at your local fabric store for classes. Sometimes local churches or community centers have sewing groups and I bet lots of folks there would be willing to help you.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#80 of 169 Old 11-03-2008, 12:49 PM
DBZ

Kristy, those Highland games costumes are too cute! Y'all look so adorable with matching slings and hats. At my repair place it's $70 to get everything done. I've had my machine for 14 years and never had it serviced. It's worth taking care of and I have several Christmas presents planned. I have dresses cut for both of the little ones and an outfit for the baby. Carebear quilts for the middle two. They are the just add binding kind.

Those are good ideas about the sewing classes. There is an MDC mama who posted in this thread who I might suck into helping me.

#81 of 169 Old 11-03-2008, 06:04 PM

Kristy, you guys all look so stinking cute!!! the babes, slings et al!
#82 of 169 Old 11-03-2008, 11:12 PM

Me three on the cuteness, Kristy. So cool!

Today I actually had a fairly productive day. Of course, it was one of dh's days off so that was probably part of it. I was able to finish ds' "girl doll" (he wanted one to match the "man doll", as he calls it, I was making dd for Christmas), attach the hat onto dd's doll, make the large floor cushion that's meant to go in ds' tent, and alter the pattern piece for the back of the soft sole shoes I want to make dd. I'm hoping to get the back cut out tomorrow and sewed together. At that point I'll have to head on over to my mom's house because I need to sew a few buttonholes in the lining for the top of the foot (I don't have a buttonhole attachment).

I also made it to JoAnn's today and picked up some fabric to make my mom's and my youngest sister's presents. I'm going to knock out those two presents and then work my way on down the list.

I saw the cutest idea for a little girls' skirt that uses a ribbon for the hem detail. It looks pretty easy and you don't really need a pattern per se. My only issue is figuring out how big to make it since I'd like to give it to my niece for Christmas, but she's quite a long way from me. I'd like to make it to fit her this spring/summer.
#83 of 169 Old 11-05-2008, 01:23 PM

Oh my goodness, those are the cutest little highland babes (and mamas!) I've ever seen!!!! All of your costumes turned out wonderfully. I'm wondering where you got the bonnet pattern for the little ones?? I've been looking for something along those lines.

I had a pretty productive week last week. I made a quick and simple blanket for ds's co-sleeper. Then I made the long-johns for under ds1's Peter Pan costume. And finished up ds3's toadstool crown (hand-sewn). Over the weekend I made ds3 a set of cute organic long-johns with dragonflies on them and a little matching outfit for the baby.

I really need to sit and reassess my list. I'm running out of time before the holidays and before baby. I need to start prioritizing. I just haven't managed to sit down and do that yet!
#84 of 169 Old 11-05-2008, 07:50 PM

Thanks everyone. We had such a good time.

The other day my 2 friends and I were at Starbucks each waering a ring sling we had made. Two people asked to buy one. We gave them our info and may look into sweing slings locally. It would just be a casual thing. We thought we'd just hope to make enough for a monthly girls night out or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnMelody View Post
Oh my goodness, those are the cutest little highland babes (and mamas!) I've ever seen!!!! All of your costumes turned out wonderfully. I'm wondering where you got the bonnet pattern for the little ones?? I've been looking for something along those lines.
We used this site for the girls' caps. We did the 3 piece coif at the bottom. The boy's cap is a basic muffin hat. (a circle sewn into a band)

#85 of 169 Old 11-06-2008, 10:06 AM

KristyDi - thanks for posting that site. I am in love with those caps.

I finished the corduroy pants from Ottobre's fall magazine for DD. They are very cozy! I was most worked up about getting the pintucks right and I think I finally got them. This was very important because the dress I'm making next has them right under the neckline.

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#86 of 169 Old 11-07-2008, 02:34 AM

KristyDi - How encouraging to have someone comment on your slings like that. I think it's great that you have like minded friends...I tend to forget that there are places where that's more common than here.

jlpumkin - love the pants and the pintucks on the pocket. You're certainly more talented in that department than I!

AutumnMelody - I love your projects as usual. Especially the crown and the dragonfly long johns. At some point when I crawl out from under the Christmas gift pile I want to make something like that for dd and ds.

I've made some progress although things are going a bit slower than I anticipated. I finally got over to my mom's house to get the button holes done on the lining for the soft soled shoes. I love my vintage Singer, but it just does a straight stitch and I don't have the necessary attachments. Once I got home I was hoping it would be a simple thing to get both shoes finished. After much muttering and a few passes with my seam ripper I at least got one of them finished. As an extra bonus it's even a bit big on my 10 mo old dd so she'll have some room to grow!

I did get some work done on my little sister's present as well so all things considered I can't be too disappointed. I have some fabric leftover from my little sister's present that I think will make a great pair of pants for dd. I just have to dig up the tute I saw.
#87 of 169 Old 11-07-2008, 10:41 AM

all of you are putting me to shame!

I got a friends dd's skirt done. I'll post a pic later on. Thats all! the sewing bug left me again.

autumnmelody, the dragonfly longjohns are adorable!!! and the hat! too stinking cute!

oh and the pin tucks! those are my worst nightmare, you rocked them LOL love the tulip bottom too, those are adorable!
#88 of 169 Old 11-07-2008, 11:04 AM

A fussy baby on a growth spurt (hello 24 hour nursing) and a comedy of errors (lost locking clips for carseats, timing issues) has prevented me from sewing this week. I have such a nice stack of things I want to sew too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpumkin View Post
KristyDi - thanks for posting that site. I am in love with those caps.

I finished the corduroy pants from Ottobre's fall magazine for DD. They are very cozy! I was most worked up about getting the pintucks right and I think I finally got them. This was very important because the dress I'm making next has them right under the neckline.

I love the parts of the pants you showed us. Pintucks scare me but I love the way they look. Yours look great.

#89 of 169 Old 11-07-2008, 11:34 AM

Those pin tucks on the tulip pants look great!

I just got my first Ottobre and have several things that I want to make, but I'm scared of trying to trace the patterns. I will over come it at some point, I'm sure. Maybe once I'm done all of my Christmas sewing.

Sweet little corduroy shoes! Those will be cozy....and hopefully stop the sock hemorrhage...

Since I posted, I cut out most of ds1 and ds2's Christmas pajamas. BUT, I ran out of fabric! I don't have enough for ds2's pants, so I'll have to hit the fabric store tomorrow and see what I can find. I think I'm also going to pick up a bunch of festive fat quarters to make gift bags out of. Do you think they'll have holiday prints out yet?? Is that a really stupid question?!? lol Yeah, I think I'll probably be alright...

I had started making some Christmas pajamas for ds1 when he was around ds3's current age, but then my Grandmother died and I ended up traveling with the little ones for the funeral, etc, and I never got to it. So I just pulled all of it out yesterday and everything is already cut, so yay! I'm that much ahead. It seems to be missing some trim pieces, and I don't know where the pattern is, but I'm sure I can fake it. I'm using the fabric that I bought, but never even cut, to make ds2's Christmas pjs that year, to make some for the babe. Then whatever is left of that (it's a beautiful green cotton velour) will go towards the doll I'm making ds3 for Christmas. I want to have all of my holiday sewing done by 12/1, so I'm plowing along as best as I can.
#90 of 169 Old 11-07-2008, 04:50 PM

AutumnMelody - I got the second one done (so much easier this time) and put them on her this morning. So far so good! Oh, and they've got the holiday prints out at my JoAnn's so I would assume your fabric store would as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page