sewing circle...come join : ) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 169 Old 11-26-2008, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm hanging around for the picture pay-off Where are all of these finished objects? I love looking at you all's work!!! Especially all of this holiday stuff!!!

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#122 of 169 Old 11-26-2008, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dh's digital camera broke, and then he lost his job. I was going to take some pics to share with MY camera and then get them developed onto disc at costco for a couple of bucks, but now "just a couple bucks" is a half gallon of milk, you know? I've asked for a new one for him for Christmas. We'll see!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#123 of 169 Old 11-27-2008, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

my updated list:

5 shopping bags *DONE*

add decorative stitching to table runner

4 pillow cases *DONE*

NEXT:

Skirt For Me! *Ready to Sew*

Now I've got about 2 weeks to finish up for our early family christmas before we fly home.....hoping to do some of these....

Dress for DD, crayon roll

Pouch For DP, Organic Flannel Pillow Case

:

dust.gif
#124 of 169 Old 11-27-2008, 03:01 PM

I hear ya courtenay - priorities change for sure! Sending well wishes your way...

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#125 of 169 Old 11-29-2008, 02:45 AM

thanks, Ladies. The upshot is that I have had to do some more sewing, to make money and to save money!

Soooo...

Some of those awesome t-shirt bags, as gifts. The stores around here credit us for bringing our own, so they'll actually make great christmas gifts for my mom and sister, who can always use the extra pennies...and will be great fun for my kids to decorate, to boot!

I have two jumpers to make for Dd.

And another pair of pants or two, depending on the fabric I have for pants and the shirts she may already own to coordinate.

I am hoping to make my neice a couple pair of flannel jammy pants for X-mas.
I also told her mom I'd make her a dark pink sparkly tutu. I have the netting and ribbon, that will be an hour job, tops.

I am hoping to make each of us (dh, dd, ds, and myself) a pair of jammy pants for Christmas Morning.

Need to make a sling this weekend for a client. Done

Too, I'd like to make a few extra slings to bring to work with me in two weeks and leave there to sell. A black, a brown, a blue, and a pink. Purty. Black with pretty flowers done today, three or four to go by Monday evening.

I cleaned out my pattern drawer this afternoon, put all the infant and toddler patterns but a few away (the ones I can use to make gifts stayed up), rearranged them, as well, so they make more sense to find things. And, in so doing, I found a pretty night gown pattern for DD that I forgot I had. I'll use it to make her two flannel nightgowns, as she JUST asked for a couple the other day, and I said that I would if I could come up with a pattern!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#126 of 169 Old 11-29-2008, 10:13 AM

I came to show pics of the cozy pants I sewed last night for my son. They are made out of thrifted wool felted sweaters. I *think* I got the idea from a link someone posted on here, but can't remember. I hope it was cuz I wanted to say thanks for the link!! These were so easy to make, I had everything I needed and my son really really needed some warm lounging cozy pants and I don't have the money to buy any right now. So this was awesome. The first pair took me about an 45 minutes to get it right. The next pair took me less then 20 minutes and the last pair took 10 minutes!! Instant gratification!
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...t/IMG_2237.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...t/IMG_2236.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...t/IMG_2235.jpg

Here's the link:
http://www.cafepress.com/thatskindacool/864331

Thanks to whomever posted it!! :

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#127 of 169 Old 11-30-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

cute pants! i'm tackling my dancin' skirt today!

dust.gif
#128 of 169 Old 11-30-2008, 08:42 PM

I've done almost no sewing this weekend. I finished up the gifts that I had to buy for Christmas, got some more supplies, and did a lot of knitting. I'm still hoping to do some more tonight, though, and will get lots done while DH is home tomorrow evening if all goes as planned.

Take care,
El
#129 of 169 Old 12-01-2008, 08:36 AM

2. stuffed toy giraffe - getting there
3. altered jeans - DONE
4. altered overalls - even closer to being done
6. Dopps kit from a tutorial for SFIL - haven't bought materials
7. Christmas apron for MIL - cut out 1/2
8. pair of toddler pajamas - haven't started
10. book and pillow in Winnie the Pooh that I bought at Joann's for Lem - haven't started
11. tapestry quilt for a customer - received materials, haven't started yet.
12. Elf Advent calendar - DONE
13. linen Advent calendar -almost done
14. regular Advent calendar - almost done
15. finish Lem's sleepsack
17. pajama pants for the whole family

DH is home tonight, I'm hoping to cross the rest of the advent calendars, and the overalls off of my list for good.

Take care,
El
#130 of 169 Old 12-01-2008, 09:32 AM

Love the pants! The blue with green stripe are my favorite. I tried similar pants a year or so ago. Mine didn't look nearly as good... actually they looked horrible and I threw them out LOL.

#131 of 169 Old 12-02-2008, 09:07 AM

2. stuffed toy giraffe - getting there
6. Dopps kit from a tutorial for SFIL - haven't bought materials
10. book and pillow in Winnie the Pooh that I bought at Joann's for Lem - cut out the book
13. linen Advent calendar -almost done
14. regular Advent calendar - almost done
15. finish Lem's sleepsack - not done
17. pajama pants for the whole family - bought the materials

I made big progress last night, tonight is Advent calendar night - even though I keep saying that and don't seem to get down to it.

Take care,
El
#132 of 169 Old 12-04-2008, 12:14 PM

Love the sweater pants! They look very comfy! I was all set to make a pair for the baby yesterday, out of an old sweater that accidentally got felted. But then DS2 walked by and asked to try it on and as it turns out, it fit. So.... It was funny because I had this little metal fight between "great ds has a nice warm sweater" and "but I was gonna sew that! I had it all planned out!"

I'm trying to think what I've done since I last posted. I don't feel like waiting for the page to load to check.

Did I mention that I made ds3's doll? That's done, though I might yet add some braiding or something to the hat. And I finally made the pants to ds2's holiday pjs, so the pajamas for all 4 kiddos are all done! Over the weekend I made 8 gift bags and a simple advent calendar (24 little stockings and a small felt star to move from one to the next). I think that's it. Hoping to get something more productive done today.
#133 of 169 Old 12-06-2008, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

my updated list:

5 shopping bags *DONE*

4 pillow cases *DONE*

Skirt For Me! *DONE*

Organic Flannel Pillow Case *DONE*

Next:

Dress for DD, crayon roll

Pouch For DP,

add decorative stitching to table runner

Messenger Bag for laptop

dust.gif
#134 of 169 Old 12-07-2008, 11:21 PM

I'm way behind on pictures, but here's the advent calendar and some decorative pillows that I made a while ago, but just go around to photographing. Oh, and a little gift bag for a friend's child.
#135 of 169 Old 12-08-2008, 12:35 AM

These are wonderful! I thought I'd check in with my progress so far. I really need to post pictures as well.

2. stuffed toy giraffe - just needs machine sewing
6. Dopps kit from a tutorial for SFIL - bought materials
10. book and pillow in Winnie the Pooh that I bought at Joann's for Lem - cut out the book
13. linen Advent calendar -DONE
14. regular Advent calendar - DONE
17. pajama pants for the whole family - bought the materials

Take care,
El
#136 of 169 Old 12-08-2008, 06:56 PM

I've actually made a fair amount of progress, but have decided to drop all non-Christmas related projects since there's only a couple of weeks left until Christmas. So my updated to-do list:

- Finish ds' play tent (finish the top hem, pole pockets, and ties)
- Finish my sister's flannel pants (overlock inside seams - my mom's doing that for me; then it's just the waist, drawstring, and cuffs)
- Finish dh's flannel pants (overlock inside seams - my mom's doing that for me; then it's just the waist, drawstring, and cuffs)
-Flannel pants for my dad
-Flannel pants for my future bil
-My mom's peg board (waiting on dh to cut the hardboard down to size then the remainder of it will go really quickly)
-Finish attaching the binding on mil's pot holder

I did post some pictures of the other finished projects on my blog in the past, but I'll have to get them linked here later.
#137 of 169 Old 12-09-2008, 02:30 AM

Great idea for a thread - how did I miss this.

So here's my list:

~ 4 winter flannel pillow cases done, 4 to more go
~ crayon and pencil crayon rolls - 2 done, 2 cut and started and one special one embroidered but not sewn
~ 3 quilts for my kids dolls - tops done, need to back, quilt and bind
~ 1 doll blanket for a friend - done
~ 2 waldorf crowns - not started
~ lap blankets for my kids - material bought and cut but not started.
~ 1 hockey theme banner/bunting - still looking for fabrics - why is this so hard in Canada in the winter?
~ 5 - 10 simple felt masks - everytime I make one my kids abscond with it. :
~ pj bottoms for all my kids - fabric and pattern purchased, I am hoping the elves do these
~ 2 aprons and matching quilt decorated tea towels - not started
~ wizard doll, cut but not sewn
~ gift bags or small fabric baskets for friends/neighbour gifts - 2 done and gone, probably another 3 or so to do.
~ juggling balls - cut but not started.

My biggest challenge is sewing only when my night owl is asleep and before my early riser is up. It's a small window.

Kare

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#138 of 169 Old 12-10-2008, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

my updated list:

Done-

5 shopping bags

4 pillow cases

Skirt For Me!

Organic Flannel Pillow Case

Crayon Roll

table runner

Skirt For DD

A Line Skirt ~just needs rick rack and lace at hem~

Pouch For DP

Next:

cloth napkins, table runner and tablecloth

after New Years:

skirt and petticoat

bamboo jersey shirt

dd dress

messenger bag

repair bag

dust.gif
#139 of 169 Old 12-14-2008, 09:39 PM

Posting to update...

THE most important thing this week is dd's Christmas Dress. I need to make it in the next three days or fewer, as I would like to get pictures taken for cards before friday (Costco has a great deal...a sheet of wallets for a buck or two).

IF I'm extra fast, I can make a coat for her, too. We'll see.

I've knitted a scarf for my sister, and am working on mittens to match. I know that's not sewing, but it's keeping me busy at night.

Some of those awesome t-shirt bags, as gifts. The stores around here credit us for bringing our own, so they'll actually make great christmas gifts for my mom and sister, who can always use the extra pennies...and will be great fun for my kids to decorate, to boot! DONE--8

I have two jumpers to make for Dd.

And another pair of pants or two, depending on the fabric I have for pants and the shirts she may already own to coordinate. One down, one to go.

I am hoping to make my neice a couple pair of flannel jammy pants for X-mas.

I also told her mom I'd make her a dark pink sparkly tutu. I have the netting and ribbon, that will be an hour job, tops. Done

Now that dd has seen the pink sparkly tutu, she wants one, too. I'd like to make it tomorrow when she goes to bed.

I am hoping to make each of us (dh, dd, ds, and myself) a pair of jammy pants for Christmas Morning.

Need to make a sling this weekend for a client. Done

Teddy Bear nightshirt for neice's bear. Done
I'd like to make pants and a shirt for him, too. We'll see if that happens.

#140 of 169 Old 12-15-2008, 01:28 AM

No sewing the last couple of days, as our power has been out due to ice storms! I suppose if I was really committed I could have worked on some of the hand-sewing I'll be needing to do in the near future, but it just seemed easier to knit.

Some pictures of projects up to this point: a peek at Christmas pajamas for the kids and lots and lots of holiday gift bags.
#141 of 169 Old 12-16-2008, 11:11 AM

I just wanted to say that I love this thread!
#142 of 169 Old 12-17-2008, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

hey mamas, I'm done w/my X mas stuff and heading home for the holidays today...we had our family christmas here yesterday, dd and dp really like their gifts...feels good to be done w/the holiday sewing.

this thread has been an inspiration!

blessings mamas

my updated list:

Done-

5 shopping bags

4 pillow cases

Skirt For Me!

Organic Flannel Pillow Case

Crayon Roll

table runner

Skirt For DD

A Line Skirt ~just needs rick rack and lace at hem~

Pouch For DP

cloth napkins and tablecloth

after New Years:

skirt and petticoat

bamboo jersey shirt

dd dress

messenger bag

repair bag[/quote]

dust.gif
#143 of 169 Old 12-20-2008, 03:04 AM

I've fallen off the sewing wagon. First we had to move my sewing machine so that we could put up the Christmas tree, but then I lost my prime window space so the light and vibe was completely off. Then, I got this really neat cutting table on sale at JoAnn which I hoped would solve the majority of my issues with getting things cut out because my only option is to do it on the floor, but that doesn't really work because the kiddos are always getting into stuff.

Then, I had hopes that Thursday would be my day, but there was a glitch in my online credit card payment which meant instead of putting a large amount on it, the entire balance ended up being paid off which meant that I had to hurry up and come up with money to try and avoid financial disaster. Except I didn't find out about it until we'd already been charged over $100 in NSF fees. Why I didn't get the overdraft loan thingie on this account I'll never know.

Then I'm also supposed to be helping my mom finish the dolls she's making my kids for Christmas. I made the mistake of showing my mom the kits I had planned on getting for dd/ds and was going to make them for their birthdays (Jan and Feb). She thought they were cool and wanted to make them for Christmas. She was so excited and I couldn't say no. Which means that I have to figure out the crochet caps and I'm having a heck of a time doing it (which I shouldn't because it's not like I'm a newbie when it comes to crocheting).

Oh, and then it snowed like crazy yesterday so the sewing time I *thought* I had was really spent shoveling the snow in the driveway (shin high) and at the end of the driveway (knee/thigh high) so that dh could get in the driveway to park when he got home.

So...I STILL have to do:
- two pairs of flannel pj pants including one that needs five extra inches of length added which means adjusting the pattern some.
- finish the waistband, drawstring, and bottom cuffs on one pair of flannel pj pants
- get dh to cut the hardboard for my mom's peg board and finish that one up
- finish the play tent, I have the poles, but they aren't quite what the pattern called for so some fiddling around is probably required here
- make some simple flannel handkerchiefs for my middle sis' new fiance

4 days until Christmas Eve and I'm stuck in waldorf doll hair h***
#144 of 169 Old 12-21-2008, 06:20 PM

: Four days till Christmas!!!

And there is still alot to do.

I am making drawstring bags to put gifts in instead of wrapping them, Santas gone eco friendly this year. Still gotta get a roll of paper for the stocking stuff and for family gifts.

Need to make that apron that is still sitting there all cut but not sewn

2 of 3 pairs of pj pants for xmas eve needed.

DONE:
1 pj pant
6 shopping bags
some felt food for lil ones stocking.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#145 of 169 Old 12-21-2008, 06:23 PM

6. Dopps kit from a tutorial for SFIL - bought materials
7. Christmas apron for MIL - DONE
8. pair of toddler pajamas - cut out pattern, cutting out material tonight
10. book and pillow in Winnie the Pooh that I bought at Joann's for Lem - after Christmas
17. pajama pants for the whole family - DONE
#146 of 169 Old 12-21-2008, 06:45 PM

I'm doing a ton of stuff...making a fleece jacket for DS (8) and a fleece vest for DH--hopefully get them done in time for Christmas
I've got to make some more fabric gift bags so we can finish wrapping the gifts too
Oh yes, and a bamboo velour pillowcase for DH. I bought the fabric to make diapers but showed it to DH and he is in love with it, so it's a pillowcase for him.
I do flannel jammie pants for teh family (so 4 pairs) for christmas eve, but unfortunately I live in a super rural area and can't just go buy it, I have to mail order, and even though I ordered pleanty early, the fabric was backordered and they didn't tell me until weeks later, so my re-ordered fabric probably will not make it in time. Oh well, they will have to be Civil Rights Day jammies or something

In non christmas stuff, I'm sewing a couple of diapers for my sister's baby due in Feb, plus a bunch of mama cloth to trade with another friend who does sweet embroidered dipes!

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#147 of 169 Old 12-22-2008, 01:20 PM

I am so happy to be done with all Christmas gifts! Woohoo!

However, DD has a birthday the 29th so I need to finish some little felt animals I'm making (a frog and two tadpoles and possibly a lilypad). Also, DH's birthday is the 10th of January and I've not even started on making him a laptop cover I'm planning to give him. I've been so focused on Christmas!
#148 of 169 Old 12-22-2008, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

sew mamas sew! :

dust.gif
#149 of 169 Old 12-23-2008, 04:44 AM

I wasn't planning on doing this, but I ended up making some dollhouse bedding at the last minute.

http://growinginpeace.wordpress.com/...use-furniture/

Oh, and I finally did something with a fun children's alphabet fabric I found earlier this year:

http://growinginpeace.wordpress.com/...vity-placemat/

I am trying to think of other last minute things I could whip up. I'm thinking of a crayon roll, but not sure I'm up for it.

I will be making some dolly accessories for my niece's birthday next month (a doll blanket, dolly diapers and bibs). I can't wait.

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#150 of 169 Old 12-23-2008, 06:07 AM

I just finished the bamboo velour pillowcase for my DH. That stuff is such a pain to work with! I love the feeling of velour, but I sure do hate the stretch. I can't wait to see him open it though--there was an oopsie with an amazon order and he accidentally saw half of what I got for him I'm so glad I'm able to make him some good surprises.

KaraBoo, the little frogs/tadpoles sound so CUTE!!! I want to see pictures when they're done!!!

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page