sewing circle...come join : ) - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-23-2008, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New here...I just sewed a pair of file whale corduroy pants for dd yesterday. I usually stock up on pants during the off-season at the thrift store, buying whenever I can find a pair in the next few sizes up at a great price. However, I'm finding more and more that dd doesn't fit into the standard pants, even with adjustable waistbands. She is tall & "lanky," so I pulled out the pattern I got on sale at Jo-Ann's for 80 cents & got to work. A quick & easy job, so I'm planning on making 1-2 more pairs & skirts with the extra fabric.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 07:58 PM

Ugh. I'm so mad. I am trying to make this artist organizer for dd, and the machine is messing up my stitches. I started doing a nice zigzag stitch, and then it got all messed up (you know, the kind of mess up with LOUD noises) and in trying to fix the messed up bobbin thread, somehow it won't sew zigzag stitches anymore. I went through a half bobbin of thread trying to get my project done and I don't even feel like finishing anymore.

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
Old 12-25-2008, 04:45 AM

whew! Finally finished ds's pirate coat just in time for Christmas. I posted about that about 2 months ago. Now THAT was a project. Amazing what you can do in 5 to 10 minutes a day for several weeks. I'll post completed pics either tomorrow or Friday. For now, must sleep.

Happy Holidays all! Hope all your beautiful gifts are well received.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:25 PM

I got most of the necessities for today done but I am still going to be sewing tonight for our extended family gathering tomorow.

Done this month
4 reversible kids' capes,
2 kid's reversible aprons
2 pair pjs
4 market bags
1 modified gratitude folder
1 modified note taker
4 rice bags
2 lap blankets
7 pencil crayon or crayon rolls
3 waldorf felt crowns
6 pillow cases
3 bird ornaments plus a couple
1 recipe holder
1 small fabric basket
various gift bags
2 doll quilt tops

to do tonight:
3 decorator Christmas pillows
2 pillow cases
2 small crayon rolls

writing it all out like that explains why I am so flipping tired.

Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Old 12-26-2008, 08:31 PM

I actually got all my Christmas presents finished and just in the nick of time (2am on Christmas Day). It felt kind of odd last night to have nothing to do. I think I'll take a couple of days off and get started with some curtains for my patio door in the kitchen out of Emma Hardy's book.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:50 PM

Ok, Here we Go! Pictures of the amazing pirate coat project. I am so proud of this work.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:09 PM

Very cool coat! It looks great.

I've read about half this thread, but my son is begging to play a game, so I'll have to come back and read the rest later! I've been sewing since I was about 8-9, which is, *cough* well, a long time! I'm sort of a sewing machine addict. I have four - all of which need some work right now! The one I use the most right now is a little Brother that I have. My favorite is a 1966 Kenmore. That one is getting fixed first. My cat got her butt caught in it when I was sewing, and it hasn't worked right since! Yes, the cat is fine. I also have a 1955 Singer Featherweight that is really cool. The belt broke on that one, so I need to get another one of those. My latest acquisition is the coolest! It's a 1970's Singer Futura complete with the entire cabinet (http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/DSCN2205.jpg. I have to get some work done on the machine, but I am so anxious to start using this one!

Now that Christmas is over I am working hard on getting some maternity clothes made. Last night I almost completed a shirt and a pair of pants. I need to go buy some bias tape to finish the shirt and some elastic to finish the pants. Today I am working on another shirt (cut it out last night), and I will be helping dd make her first pair of pants! I'll be back later to catch up on the rest of this thread. Great thread.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:11 PM

Here's a picture of the cute fabrics that my daughter and I bought to make some baby clothes!
fabrics
Old 12-29-2008, 01:20 PM

Here's what I have on the go right now:

3 pairs of toddler pajamas
Dopps Kit
Birthday outfit
Kitchen hangy towels

and a whole lot of knitting, lol.

I won't have my sewing machine out until Thursday, when DH is home from work. Until then it's all about cleaning up after Christmas and knitting legwarmers.

Take care,
El
Old 12-30-2008, 06:03 AM

Just an update...All the recipients of the PJ pants have gotten them at this point and I'm batting 3 out of 4. The pair for my sister, even though I picked the size based upon her largest measurement, are waaaaaaay too big. My mom's actually going to have to alter them for me as that's out of my league.

My dad and dh both liked theirs - they just need a longer drawstring.

The pair for my future bil...lol, you should have seen the big grin on his face. I was really nervous about the ones for him because I had never seen him wear anything like that. I figured it was likely because he's so tall and can't find a pair of comfy pants/pj pants that are long enough for him. I was right and he was SO EXCITED when he opened them tonight and tried them on. I think I could make him a pair for every upcoming gift giving event and he'd be just as tickled pink! :

My to do list:
-Make reusable birthday banner/"bunting" for dd's upcoming birthday
-Make curtains for the patio door in our kitchen (from Emma Hardy's Book)
-Make new iron board cover (from Emma Hardy's Book)
-Make crayon/pencil roll for ds' birthday in Feb (adapted from Emma Hardy's book or from Amanda Soule's book)

I got a cutting table and rotary cutter for Christmas so I'm really excited to try them out on my new project list!
Old 12-30-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qalliope View Post
Ok, Here we Go! Pictures of the amazing pirate coat project. I am so proud of this work.
Wow that is a coat and a half! He looks great in it
Old 01-07-2009, 09:59 PM

Hello, everyone! I've been traveling, but finally have a couple of photos to share (and a lot of catching up to do). I finished the first (ever) dress I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's a simple cotton scoop-neck (no sleeves; knee length), but I'm pretty proud of it.

Photos here:
http://flickr.com/photos/jsphotos/31...n/photostream/
http://flickr.com/photos/jsphotos/31...n/photostream/

I also finally bought some corduroy (I already had a decorative fabric for half the project) and covered two floor pillows that were looking pretty ratty. I'm ready to try making a skirt!
http://flickr.com/photos/jsphotos/3144937218/

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:59 AM

Your dress is a lovely shade of blue! I like the neckline and the width of the shoulders too. I'm not going to be breastfeeding next summer so I should make one! Cool cushions too.

I've bought some Bedford corduroy from an Ebay seller I buy from in weak moments because he sells good fabrics very cheaply. I'm planning on using it to make a smock top for dd1 from Mayfly's Blog, a 5 minute skirt from Angry Chicken's Blog for me and the butterfly party trousers from Ottobre 1/08 for dd2 if I can find my magazine I've got the pattern sheets in my pattern box but the magazine with the seam allowance info and the construction tips has gone AWOL. The search is on!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:00 PM

Love the pictures so far! Here's a couple of my own:

The Play Tent for ds and dd

The Peg Board for my mom

I need to make some longer drawstrings for the comfy pants I made, but I've been waiting on dh to fix the casters on my cutting table so it'd be easier to drag out. So far no such luck, but I have high hopes for this weekend.

I did head out and try to match some existing fabric to make curtains for my dining room patio door, but didn't have much luck. I've decided to take my mom with me to a locally owned fabric store and if we don't have better luck there I'll likely head to a Hancock Fabrics that's about 40 minutes away. I had planned on putting these curtains off, but then saw that JoAnn's is having a sale on home decor fabrics and most especially the lining fabric I wanted to use for the curtains so I'm guessing I should either get it started sooner rather than later *or* just buy the lining fabric now while it's on sale.

BUT what I'd really like to tackle as my next project is to make some mama cloth. I have a few that I used pre-dd, but I really would like some more. I was going to go out and buy some, but then remembered that I could just as well make my own. I've got some tweaking to do in order to combine 3 patterns into my own, but after that I think I can get started with some of the fabric I already have on hand!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK I am still completely in love with that play tent! I've been away a bit.. we are selling our house so everything is packed up... but I just can't take it anymore and went a bought a couple of supplies for a really quick project. Hopefully I'll get some time to do it tonight.. then I'll be back with pictures

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
Old 01-21-2009, 07:32 PM

Thanks, jlpumkin. I actually got a pretty big chuckle out of the whole deal recently. We were in one of those pricier boutique-y places and they had one there that was very similar to it which they were selling for over $200!.

The best part was I had a chance to compare the "professional" one with the one I made. All in all they were very similar. The "professional" one had the rod pockets closed at the bottom so I'm definitely thinking that closing the bottom of the rod pockets on mine might solve some of the issues that we've been having. Plus, I figure if I don't like the change I can always use a seam ripper and take it back out. Now all I have to do is find some time to get the poles out and make the change.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:50 AM

Heres the playtent I made for ds for xmas - it came out huge!

The 'legs' are encased - I sewed each panel together, turned them right side out and then sewed a long casing all the way up big enough for the pole.

I still have to put holes through the poles (they are pvc pipes) and thread a rope or somthing through it.

I used bedsheets from when I was a little kid for the fabric - it took a lot of them, some have fishys, some blue and some white.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/DSC00479.jpg

I also made a matching nap mat (from the pillow cases)
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/DSC00482.jpg

and quilt
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/DSC00481.jpg
Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 PM

leighi123 - neat tent!
Old 01-28-2009, 02:13 AM

I am new to sewing and haven't tried anything with a pattern yet. I have made sever sleep sacks for my DD and a skirt for myself. I like this web site for ideas and instructions. I would love to take classes, however I don't want to leave my DD for that amount of time!
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/index.html

User Tag List