Homemade Lip Gloss? or Balm? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 11-23-2003, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any lip balm flavorings a site sells are FDA approved as safe for ingestion.

Not all states are the same (I know Florida is the most strict) but lip balm flavoring have already been through all that nasty testing saving you the headache.

I wouldn't use candy flavorings.

Not all EOs and flavoring are ok for lips as erm...not a scientist but there is such a thing as photo-toxicity (something about reaction to sunlight blah I *so* cannot explain it)

Mint EOs are ok but lime and some other EOs are not ok for lips (lime EO is photo toxic)

I like this site for that sort of thing.

www.brambleberry.com

I agree that wholesalesuppliesplus is a great site too.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#32 of 51 Old 11-23-2003, 07:10 PM

oops...thanks, sally...got too many s's, huh?
#33 of 51 Old 11-23-2003, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
SLY

OK new question..... Labels? Stickers? Hmmmmm...
#34 of 51 Old 11-24-2003, 12:00 AM

for labels...i started out just using the mailing label part of our quickbooks program...then decided that i needed to find something that looked more professional so i found a label making program. they look way better now.
#35 of 51 Old 11-24-2003, 02:02 AM

I just checked out Majestic Mountain Sage and they have a kit for lip balms
it's this item

404-1200 Friends for Tea Kit
#36 of 51 Old 11-24-2003, 06:49 PM

Carrie, thank you so much for your recipe. It is divine. My whole family is in love with it.

I do have a few questions though:
I did it with peppermint EO first. One comment that I got was that it wasn't sweet. So I had seen a few recipes that had honey so I added some. But it didn't incorporate well. There were little honey globs. I tried to heat it more and it didn't help. Does anyone have any pointers.

I also read on another website (I can't remember) that the flavor oils really aren't flavors but just sents that are acceptable for lip gloss. I have found that to be true. I have apple and raspberry that I got from Michaels and it really isn't flavored just smelly and again it is not sweet. I saw on some of the sites that you can buy sweetner is that what you do? Are the ones that you are buying really flavored and would you buy the sweetner or figure out the honey thing? I also read that the sweetners make you lick your lips and dry them out which I believe to be true so maybe I will skip that part.

I think that is it. This is really fun. TIA..
#37 of 51 Old 11-24-2003, 06:53 PM

They have sweetners but it is stevia.

it is up to you whether you would want to use it. Brambleberry has it on their site.

another thing they use to sweeten lip balm is sacchrine.

Honey is pretty hard to get mixed in well so I don't really make sweet lip balm.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#38 of 51 Old 11-24-2003, 07:29 PM

baileysmommy -- thank you, and you are welcome! i love it as well! as far as sweet oils go, i don't mess with all that, i'll use if they come presweetened, but don't worry about it if they are not. i just use the flavor oils as they are and have had no complaints about it not being sweet. www.thesage.com has some flavor oils that are presweetened if you want a sweet oil...and i have read also that the flavor oils don't actually have a flavor pre se. if you want a good site for flavor oil i would suggest either the one i just mentioned or www.fromnaturewithlove.com ...they have awesome ones as well. if you do want to sweeten it i have read that stevia is the sweetener of choice like abimommy mentioned.

let me know if i can help with anything else!
#39 of 51 Old 11-29-2003, 04:42 AM

Bumping so I can find this easily
#40 of 51 Old 11-29-2003, 09:51 PM

hi, stephanie! whatcha makin'? i can always talk about lip balm making... i went to a craft fair...had an ok day...sold about $70 worth...mostly lip balm, some healing salve, a couple solid perfumes.

happy balm making...
#41 of 51 Old 11-29-2003, 10:40 PM

Hi, Carrie! I was curious as to what your most popular "flavor" of lip balm is. What about essential oils? And is solid perfume just EOs with some sort of fat?
#42 of 51 Old 11-30-2003, 01:20 AM

hi, smashing! you know, i don't think there is a most popular one...of the ones i make, anyway. like today...i sold a nice variety...some of the ones i sold were: grape, cucumber melon, peach, cherry, strawberries -n- cream, strawberry, tangerine, bubbke gum, brown sugar and vanilla, the only eo's i use for lip balms are tangerine, sweet orange, and spearmint. my solid perfume is just beeswax (1 tsp) and oil (of your choice, 1 TB), and fragrance oil. i don't seem to have much luck selling the ones made with eo's so i just use fragrance oils.
#43 of 51 Old 12-01-2003, 12:45 AM

I'm thinking of making some fun lip balm and somehealing balm. What would you put in healing balm? TTO? calendula? Camomile?
I've ben contemplating making some cosmetic stuff for years!!
#44 of 51 Old 12-01-2003, 12:53 AM

stephanie -- those sound good for a healing balm...lavender is a good one for healing as well. i don't do much with healing as i don't seem to get much of a reponse with them....but those that you listed sound good. have fun!
#45 of 51 Old 12-03-2003, 08:36 PM

Fruity Lip Gloss

You can make this tasty lip gloss at home, using nothing more than common kitchen ingredients.

What You Will Need:
  • 2 Tbs. Solid shortening
    1Tbs. fruit flavored powdered drink mix
    35 mm plastic film container (unused or well washed)

How To Concoct It:
  • 1. Mix shortening and drink mix together in a small microwave-safe container until smooth
    2. Place container in the microwave on High for 30 seconds until mixture becomes a liquid.
    3. Pour the mixture into a well washed plastic film container or any other type of small airtight container.
    4. Place the fruity Lip Gloss mixture in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes or until firm.

Concoction Tips & Ideas:
  • Decorate your Fruity Lip Gloss container, using markers, glitter, or adhesive-backed shelf paper.
    Create a Fruity Lip Gloss necklace by placing an O-ring (found in any hardware store) around a plastic film container filled with Fruity Lip Gloss. Tie a piece of yarn or string to the O-ring.
#46 of 51 Old 12-03-2003, 08:50 PM

here is a neat site! gives you recipes for making your own cosmetics

Make your own cosmetics at home
#47 of 51 Old 12-16-2003, 09:50 PM

Hi ladies. Need help quick. How many drops do you put of essential oil/flavored oil in your solid perfumes?

Also, how many teaspoons in a tablespoon?

THANKS THANKS THANKS
Mary
#48 of 51 Old 12-16-2003, 10:10 PM

bumpity bump
#49 of 51 Old 12-16-2003, 10:37 PM

Mary,

what is the total volume of your perfume after everything is melted together?

mine for instance is this recipe:

2 tsp beeswax
2 T oil

i usually put 1/2 - 1 tsp of FO depending on how light the scent is. the lighter the scent, the more i put in. i don't really use EO's in perfume as it doesn't seem to sell for me. i did do a special order for someone and it seemed to take A LOT of eo to be able to smell it. it was a blend and i think i used 30-40 drops and even that wasn't all that strong. HTH!
#50 of 51 Old 12-17-2003, 09:38 AM

I usually use milligrams (measured on my pyrex measuring cup that I use for melting down)

100 mg beeswax
400 mg oils
Then I pour into a variety of sized jars and lip pots with eo and vit e.
For lip balms and salves I usually use a few drops per oz of pot or jar. But I figured it would take more to actually make it like a perfume.

May I ask what kind of ess oils you tried using before? I have some (ie NOW) that it takes a ton to smell at all, and others that one drop pretty much knocks you over (ie aura cacia). I don't have any flavored oils to use right now.

Thanks for the help. Between milligrams, ounces and teaspoons, my head is spinning:LOL
Mary
#51 of 51 Old 12-17-2003, 11:02 AM

i have used Wild Oats brand, AC, Frontier, and YL. the particular blend i spoke of before was mainly patchouli (10-15 drops)with a little geranium (1-2 drops, very strong oil), lavender (4-5 drops) and frankinsense (2 drops). this filled two tin pots from here that hold 1/3 oz.

HTH!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page