Homemade Lip Gloss? or Balm? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 11-15-2003, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
SLY

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey I am thinking about making homemade lip balms or glosses for my friends family (and for me!)- can anyone give me any words of advice? Especially regarding recipies that work or dont work, tips, tricks, etc etc good places to get tins or tubes, and other supplies I will need?
Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks
Sally
#2 of 51 Old 11-15-2003, 06:28 PM

Joannes has tubes and melt and pour lip balm base as well as colors and flavors. There are places online that sell tubes and pots too. I'll have to look it up though.
#3 of 51 Old 11-15-2003, 06:48 PM

Alkanet root, when gently cooked (never boiled) for 10-15 minutes in oil turns the oil a beautiful wine red, making for a nice lip balm.

I use 5 parts oil to 1 part beeswax and add Vit E oil to help preserve. I like using different oils but my favorite is grapeseed.

Using Peppermint or Tangerine Essential Oil makes for a nice smelling/tasting balm. I use 1 drop for a small round lip container (1/4 oz I believe). I found some containers at a local dollar store but only once (3/$1.00), I bought them out. I've also found lip containers on internet.

I called it "edible lip gloss" one year and gave to all of my 9 neices with a few other herbal items. It was a big hit.

Making herbal gifts is such a good stress reliever during the high stress holidays!!!

Good luck!
Mary
#4 of 51 Old 11-15-2003, 06:50 PM

Hey Sly, If you don't mind me asking, where are you in Maine?Mary in Mariaville.
#5 of 51 Old 11-15-2003, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
SLY

I'm down in Brunswick for the time being. Wheres Mariaville? And you can call me Sally (SLY are my initials)...
#6 of 51 Old 11-15-2003, 06:55 PM

i just got home from a craft fair where i sold $83 worth of lip balm (mostly, some healing salve and solid perfume, too). i love making this stuff!! i got into it by reading some mamas here talking about it and thought, "i can do that!" so investigating i went. i found a great site that sells awesome tubes & pots ... this site is great too. i just got some flavor oils from here and they are awsome!

this is my recipe:

1 tsp beeswax pellets
1 tsp lanolin
1T oil of your choice
flavore oil to taste

that's it! very simple, but very luscious on da wips... i melt the wax first, then add the oil and then the lanolin last. i use a pyrex cup in a pan of water. when you add the lanolin, take it off the stove because it is heat sensitive. after you add the flavor, pour into containers.

i have had so many compliments on this balm.

i just started using shea butter as well in place of the lanolin (same amount). ...a very nice balm as well. i'm waiting on some more shea butter and then i think i'll use half and half of the lanolin and shea butter...i first tried using cocoa butter and didn't like how it turned out.

anyway, sorry to get long winded...i really do love making this stuff!! let me know how it turns out and please feel to ask any questions!

happy balm making!!
#7 of 51 Old 11-15-2003, 06:58 PM

wow!
thanks for posting that recipe...
I have to find some containers to do that. Where do you get yours? And where do you get your ingrediants?

#8 of 51 Old 11-15-2003, 07:06 PM

mona, there are links in my previous post...you can get supplies and containers at both places...the first one is the best for containers.
#9 of 51 Old 11-15-2003, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
SLY

So for those with experience in this area, would you say that this is an inexpensive or expensive craft/project in terms of startup costs? Here's the deal- my MIL says she will fund the startup costs of an inexpesive craft or project if I would like to sell something at her store. ( I LOVE MY MIL I AM SO LUCKY!!!) She was thinking herb sachets or something, we were joking around and saying oh the underwear drawer would have to get a special sachet.... So I have started to think. I looked at all my saved files in my "favorites" file on the computer- I have one I labelled Craft ideas i really want to try- And given that I not quite as handy with a sewing machine as I'd like, Im thinking that sewing is pretty much out the window. So one of my files saved was for homemmade bath salts, etc etc etc and LIp Balm.... I am a lip "gook" gal, and I thought hey maybe I could do this. It seems as though in would not take too too too much time to get things going- not too much time in the kitchen, a somewhat simple procedure... What do you guys think? I am I totally wrong? Or right on? What do you think....Thanks you guys!!!

Sally
P.S. I am still going to make some for me and my family, regardless.....
#10 of 51 Old 11-16-2003, 12:17 AM

3boyz - when you say "oil of your choice" Could you give a few examples of good choices?

(I've been wanting to try this forever...i'm a lip balm junkie!!! I'm so glad I found this thread, yet another awesome idea for holiday presents!!!!!)
#11 of 51 Old 11-16-2003, 12:25 AM

i would have to say that it is realtively inexpensive.

this is a guesstimate of what it might cost:

from Majestic Mountain Sage

16 oz beezwax beads -- $7
16 oz sweet almond oil -- $6.50
16 oz lanolin -- $8.75
10 pk transleucent lip balm tubes -- $2.50
10 pk lids for tubes -- $0.70 (you can mix and match, that's why they are separate)
10 pk low profile lip balm pots -- $4.80
flavor oils range anywhere from $3-4 for a 1 oz bottle (another great place to get flavor oils is www.fromnaturewithlove.com )

TOTAL: approx $34.25 + shipping

so there's something to think about anyway...let us know what you decide!

Andrea -- you can use sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, sunflower oil, extra light olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, apricot oil....that's all i can think of at the moment....HTH!!
#12 of 51 Old 11-16-2003, 04:17 PM

My lip balm recipe is:

1 oz Coconut oil
1 oz Cocoa butter
1 oz Shea Butter
1 oz beeswax

Melt it all together (I put everything in a glass measuring cup and then place it in a pot with some water about half way up the cup). After it's melted remove from heat and add your EO's, then pour into your containers.

This makes a good amount of balm so what I don't use or give away I put in the fridge until I need it later.
#13 of 51 Old 11-16-2003, 05:30 PM

do you think that Micheals would have any of these products? OR would you recommend ordering them on line?
#14 of 51 Old 11-16-2003, 05:42 PM

Sally, fyi Mariaville is about an hour northwest of Bar Harbor, in the boonies to be precise.

I've gone back and forth with the idea of making balm, lip stuff etc but I keep coming to the fact that I have no capital at all at this point. But I keep making for home and family use and whenever I can, give some away as a gift.

I've been reading a great book about at home business start ups called "Making Money from Home" by Liz Folger. It has some awesome info and tips from all sorts of at home moms, including craft makers. There's also a great sample business plan, press release info etc etc.

I think with a good business plan and some market research one could make a killing. Look at how Bert's Bees has been doing after only a few years, they are in every supermarket and natural food store around (in Maine, anyway).

Personally I'm going to start up a word processing business because it's a service, not a product, and I set myself up with hardware, software, supplies etc before I had my son.(way back when when I had money). I won't have to worry about where to get the money to buy supplies to fill orders. BUT someday I will have the herbal company, because that is what I love doing.

If you have someone to put money into, I say go for it. Let me know how things go!!!

Mary
#15 of 51 Old 11-17-2003, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
SLY

I am not really anticipating huge booming sales, though she thinks that whatever is sold under the unbrella of this store cant help but do well. Anyway, I am thinking about it. 40 bucks is worth a shot and if it moves, so much the better. But in the mean time, think of the Xmas Presents I will have taken care of- I have a lot of people to give to... So every little bit helps. So I may have to get cooking.. Any thoughts from anyone on, like, Top 10 things to avoid?

Thanks
Sally
#16 of 51 Old 11-17-2003, 07:34 PM

wholesalesuppliesplus.com has really great prices on lip balm stuff. The tubes are really inexpensive.
#17 of 51 Old 11-21-2003, 02:38 PM

hi, sally! just curious what decided to do with the lip balm endeavor (sp?)?
#18 of 51 Old 11-21-2003, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
SLY

I am still thinking about it. I am hesitant to start up a new venture- even if I dont have to cover start up costs. I have a lot of crap going on now financially ( just the usual poverty, excess credit card debt and excess student loan saga) and so I am not really feeling like rushing into stuff. On the other hand, why not try? Maybe it would be good thing. Maybe it would just be a nice little sideline hobby, something to make a little extra cash off of now and then. But I dont have the means to do much past what the MIL is willing to do.... So I am hesitant. Anyway I also dont want to turn this potentially fun project into an added stress in my life. I have 1 son, 2 part time jobs, a hubby and a dog... I get little me time as it is to meditate, do yoga, shower for gods sake! , etc... Do I really want to add lip balm to the mix? But then, why not? Icould cut out tv and then Id have more time. I have sorta started to be an insomniac- 1030pm qualifies as insomnia for me- and so I just sit and watch the boob tube... I could be doing lip gook or something.... ANyway I am teetering on the edge of a decision. I'll keep you posted... Thanks for asking!!!

Sally
#19 of 51 Old 11-21-2003, 03:40 PM

well, for what it's worth...i LOVE making the stuff...like this am i was only going to make a *few* tubes...spent most of the morning doing it...: ...till i ran out of tubes...anyway, it's fun...i hope you are able to do it!
#20 of 51 Old 11-21-2003, 09:25 PM

Just thought I'd chime in and let you know that this thread has gotten me started!! I just placed a big order with fromnaturewithlove.com for stuff to make lip balm and M&P soap, for X-Mas gifts!! I'm so excited to try it out, I can't wait till my stuff gets here!!! :LOL
#21 of 51 Old 11-22-2003, 02:24 AM

That's awesome, andrea! but i must warn you..it's ADDICTING!! beware of the flavor oil bandit...once you start you will want try EVERY flavor oil you see!! have fun! and be sure you find a recipe...it's sssssooooooo much easier with a recipe...when i first started i just winged it and didn't like any of it, but then i found a recipe that i LOVE and it's been great ever since! let us know how your's turn out.
#22 of 51 Old 11-22-2003, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
SLY

OK I think that I am going to do some Lip Gloss for Xmas, and see how I do with that. If it feels like something I can keep up with then I will do a batch for MIL and see what happens. ANd if it dosnt fly then I have some more presents on my hands, right?

Now why do some recipies say flavor oil and others say essential oil w/ no mention of flavor? Is it b/c flavor sortof comes w/ the E. Oils? And do you guys w/experience find its a hard cleanup- and consequently do you have "special" lip gloss making pots/pans? What other tips tricks can you share while I wait for payday until I can order some stuf....Plus any thoughts on "MAN" lip balm for the very manly types with chapped lips from Snowboarding, skiing, etc...

Thanks- this is going to be fun....

Sally
#23 of 51 Old 11-22-2003, 11:35 AM

as far as flavor vs essential oils go...they are just what the names imply...flavor oils are just flavored, cosmetic grade oils, and essential oils are the same essential oils you hear people talk about. some EO's that people use are peppermint, spearmint, sweet orange, tangerine, some use tea tree as a healing lip balm. tha flavor oils are endless...grape, strawberry, bubble gum, peach, vanilla, cappuccino, cucumber melon, buttercream...those are a few that i have. manly flavors could be vanilla, my hubby likes grape, some may like the mints or you could just not put pany in and just have it be "unscented".

i don't use special eqipment. i make a double boiler type thing with my pytrex measuring cup and a pan of water. for clean up i just always eveything off as i finish with it. it's harder to clean up is youlet things solidify. by using the pryrex cup it makes it way easier to pour lip balm into the tubes.

HTH!
#24 of 51 Old 11-22-2003, 10:17 PM

3boyz4us - May I ask how much you sell a tube of lip balm for? I'm assuming your recipe only makes one tube? And how did you get into this business? That sounds so cool! Are you licensed? Thanks for sharing your recipe. I'd like to make this for Christmas gifts!!!!
#25 of 51 Old 11-22-2003, 11:56 PM

SmashingHP -- actually the recipe i gave make 4-5 tubes. i got into making salve and lip balm by hearing mamas here at MDC talk about it and i thought "hey, i can do that!" and then began mass quantities of research for places to buy supplies and packaging (i'm still always looking for places to buy different packaging...i just a ordered some rectangular slide top tins to try and see if those sell at all, and i ordered some itty-bitty pots to sell for cheap, $0.25, at a craft fair as samples). i'm not selling it like i'd like, i just don't know how to get the word out there. i have some in a craft store in my town and also at the place i get my hair done. i have done a couple of craft fairs. and am throwing around the idea of setting up an internet biz, but know very little about what all is involved with that, am trying to learn. i sell my tubes/pots for $2 ea. don't exactly know what you mean by licensed, but i don't have any legal documentation of my biz yet. i need to look into it more if i really want to go somewhere with it all. it is fun though!
#26 of 51 Old 11-23-2003, 12:09 AM

Where did you get the slide top tins? That sounds fun.
#27 of 51 Old 11-23-2003, 03:02 AM

Just a heads up. My wal-mart now has flavored oils for making candies that I think would work well for lip balm It's 1.94 for 2 small bottles
#28 of 51 Old 11-23-2003, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
SLY

I second the slide top container question.

Also, when I told my MIL about my decision to give it a go, she told me I ought to check into federal and state laws govening cosmetics- since lip balm is possibly considered "ingested" as it goes on the lips and presumably into the mouth. (Good god this is getting tricky!Laws!?!?!??! Government!?!??!and lip balm????!?!??!?)
It looks like the only requirement is an ingredients label. Anyone with experience in the area of laws know more? I'll do a more thorough search on the internet at naptime today to see what I learn, but I thought I'd ask.
#29 of 51 Old 11-23-2003, 10:33 AM

i got my tins www.alysasssoapcottage.com ... i don't put ingredients on my lip balm...prolly should, huh? i've thought but haven't done any research on it...
#30 of 51 Old 11-23-2003, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
SLY

http://www.alyssassoapcottage.com/

the other link didnt work... try this one...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page