homemade toy ideas for a 2 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-21-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know theres lots of homemade toy thread ideas, but Im looking for ideas geared just towards a 2 year old boy

any ideas?

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#2 of 7 Old 10-21-2008, 10:45 PM

Is he interested in cooking at all? I'm making DS a set of felt play food for his kitchen for Christmas

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#3 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
My son is 21 months--almost 22 months. I've been doing Waldorf dolls, felt food, play silks, and felt mail so far. Another toy he likes is a laminated flip book of pictures of our family---a photo-album he can play with and won't rip! Check out my flickr album in my sig for pics of some of the toys. Oh...and I made some bean bags with scraps of fabric and just filled them with real dried beans (since I don't care if they last very long!). Those are a hit with DH and DS!

Um...oh, and I taught myself to knit this summer and discovered the fun of knitting stuffed animals that are then felted in the washing machine.

I'm missing something...........oh...made a couple of felt balls and felt pom-poms (big ones to be thrown around).

Once you start it's HIGHLY addictive!!!!!

We've also just purchased a scroll saw because I neeeeeeeed to try my hand (or DH's hand!) at little wooden figures. (Remember addictive? I wasn't kidding.)

All of those are for a pretty bright nearly two year old boy.
#4 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 12:24 AM

here is what i made last year, and making this year, for my ds (he turned 2 in june)

last year:
Waldorf doll
play silks
wood cars (i didnt make them, but there were wham made)
play food

this year:
more play food
knit gnome
ring ribbon streamer
bean bag frogs
more clothing, cd for his doll (and he plays with his cars and doll DAILY still)
a dress up cape, chainmail helmet
laminated photo album (he LOVES to look at pictures)... i'm going to laminate full pages and put them in a binder and add more pages as needed

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#5 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 12:46 PM

Play mat for cars or trains or farm or whatever.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#6 of 7 Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM

These are some things I've made or plan to make for my 2 yo DS:

-Felt vegis and fruit
-Felt sandwich kit & lunch bag
-Play kitchen
-Felt boards (animal, dino, or vehicle (car/truck/train/plane) themed works good for a boy)
-Knitted balls (put bells inside for noise making)
-Knitted animals
-"Tribble" house (cut a quarter sized hole in the top of a flexible coffee can lid and put the lib back on the coffee can (or similar container (a large yogurt container works too) to make the house, then give them a couple dozen pompoms to stuff in the hole...keeps them busy)
-Knitted or felt finger puppets
-Doorway puppet theater
-Write and illustrate your own book with your LO as the star (us a pre-bound journal or bind your own)
-Make a ABC or 123 scrapbook (I had DS color his own animal pages to make an animal themed ABC book. I added stickers and put it all together)
-Make a “family” themed scrapbook for your LO to look at (Our family lives far away and my father is recently deceased. So this is a nice way for DS to get to know them a little better)
-Wooden puzzles (if you or your DP are into woodworking)
-Tree blocks
-Dress-up box (find fun dress up clothes cheap at the thrift store (or your closets) and put them in a box or basket. You can also sew or knit costumes too.)
-Bean bags
-Play silks (you can also buy old lady silks at the thrift store in stead of making your own)
-Play dough (my DS’ favorite!)

Have fun creating!
#7 of 7 Old 10-29-2008, 02:09 PM

Here is a great link for all sorts of knitted toys.

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.co...ctory/toys.php

Like 3901sca indicated, making toys is very addictive, especially knitted ones! My recent project is dinos in eggs for my friends dd.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page