Cost of Cloth Diapering - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-02-2008, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone give me an estimate of how much it costs to cloth diaper using homemade diapers? I'm planning on buying fabric by the yard and buying at least 2 patterns. I have a sewing maching, but not a snap-installer (not sure what to call it). Thanks for your help!!! I'm trying to decide how big the savings is compared to just buying the cloth diapers premade.

momma to one sweet little girl born January 2010, and a lovable little boy born August 2012. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 11-02-2008, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
If you want to do it cheap, you could start by tracking down as many old t-shirts and towels and things as you can, then only by new materials when you need to. My favourite site for ideas is: http://fernandfaerie.com/frugaldiapering.html
#3 of 16 Old 11-02-2008, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

thank you - i'm headed that way right now!

momma to one sweet little girl born January 2010, and a lovable little boy born August 2012. 

#4 of 16 Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 PM

It's cheaper than buying cloth diapers, that's for sure! And it's a snap press that applies snaps-you can always find someone who has one to do it for you for a small fee, or use Aplix/Touchtape.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#5 of 16 Old 11-06-2008, 11:25 AM

I already have a snap press, but you could find someone local to do them for you. (Craigslist, freecycle, local mom's groups)
We are expecting and I've recently figured this one up. (approximately)
Pul, outer fabric is $9 a yard, size 20 snaps are $1.14 per diaper, foe is 0.60 per diaper, pattern was $18, inner fabric is flannel (which I already have tons of- you can use t-shirts, old sheets, etc.). I like to have at least 2 dozen of each size; s,m,l. About 75 diapers. You can get about 6+ diapers per yard of pul fabric. So, $100 fabric, $85 snaps, $45 elastic, $18 pattern, $10 microfiber inserts. =$260 total for diapers from birth to potty training.
I use this pattern because it sews up fast- there are patterns that are cheaper, don't use snaps, and use different (cheaper) elastic. You can use coops to buy the outer fabric to save also. My total is less than I would spend on disposables in the first 5 months of the baby's life. If you buy cloth diapers, you could easily spend $600-$800. (Which is still a savings over disposable)
#6 of 16 Old 11-06-2008, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Good quality polar fleece works as a water resistant outer layer too (similar to wool but no lanolising). Sometimes it's more available and cheaper than PUL.
#7 of 16 Old 11-06-2008, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It would be cheaper still to skip the PUL layer altogether and just get used covers or make recycled longies and soakers.

If you are okay with using prefolds and snappis you can buy them new for about 30.00 a dozen, or less used, which is pretty cheap. would end up costing less than 300 for 3 dozen each of three sizes and a bunch of snappis.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#8 of 16 Old 11-06-2008, 08:18 PM

I use prefolds mostly but I have spent about $250 on diapers. That also counts yarn though for longies and soakers. My prefolds are starting to wear but we are starting into baby #3 in them. Wool covers can be cheap I got a great sweater for $2.50 yeasterday that I should get a pair longies out of and two wrap style covers or pull on soakers. You can get fabric on remnants really cheap especially cheap fleece for liners or flannel.

It is about to go up since I want some more prefolds as I will have two in the same size diapers and I really don't want to only have 24 prefolds in that size.
#9 of 16 Old 11-15-2008, 02:04 AM

I'm just getting back into making diapers and I'm astonished at the way it's gone.

I'm sure there are mamas around who still appreciate the economical and ecological reasons for cloth diapers but it' hard to tell if you google "cloth diapers" or WAH diapers these days!

My last baby I diapers for less then $20 for over a year, the one before that was $40 and my very first CD baby was $70. Stick to clean renewable and re purposed basics (wool, recycled cotton sheets, flannel, organic fabrics bought at wholesale).

The dyes and untested things are what bug me these days...talk about back to basics!!

If you can buy new, I'd stick to chlorine free, undyed and untreated things. If you want to go completely with economy then it' re-purposed thrift store sheets. You'll have to buy new elastics if you want fitteds, and if not--more power to you--then its flats, and knit or crochet woollies for you! doen't take alot of talet to knit or crochet...tutorials online for free or books from the public library.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#10 of 16 Old 11-15-2008, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel182 View Post
Can anyone give me an estimate of how much it costs to cloth diaper using homemade diapers? I'm planning on buying fabric by the yard and buying at least 2 patterns. I have a sewing maching, but not a snap-installer (not sure what to call it). Thanks for your help!!! I'm trying to decide how big the savings is compared to just buying the cloth diapers premade.
the best patterns are free:

I'd say you can make 18 mixed (flat, fitted AIO and covers) for $100 bucks, if you shop smart and already have your supplies other then the fabric.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#11 of 16 Old 11-20-2008, 05:00 AM

little lions has unbleachd indian prefolds for $14/dozen infant and $17/dozen premium. 2 dozen each for $65 and free shipping. then go with some recycled wool covers and longies with gifted, repurposed and thrift store sweaters and you are set. you could get a few of the dappi nylon pants 2 for $4.50 or nikki's diapers has prowraps classic 6 for $36. you can also get used PUL covers for a few dollars each. a couple of snappis and you are set, easily for less than $100, plus all your time to sew them. if you are buying fabric by the yard, that will add up quick!

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#12 of 16 Old 11-29-2008, 02:46 PM

Recycled diapers ROCK! I have a very nice (altho basic, which is how I like it) stash that I made myself. My cost is right at $120, which includes $55 for a used sewing machine. I have used a lot of old clothes and sheets from my mom, yard sales, and Goodwill to make PFs (my favorite) and pockets. We use baby blankets for flats. I haven't purchased anything new to use for diapers. So you can definitely make a wonderful stash for really cheap.
#13 of 16 Old 12-02-2008, 02:30 PM

the rita's rump pattern is free and i've had great results using it to make fitteds.

i've used mostly flannel receiving blankets from thrift stores or flannel sheets that a friend gave me that she was getting rid of. i cut up a towel into strips for the internal soaker part. cheap or free if you have an old stained towel lying around -- i can easily get a dozen strips from one towel.

i use pins on my fitteds -- i make the wings really long so i only have to use one pin.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#14 of 16 Old 12-15-2008, 10:14 PM

I think that the cost of make your own diapers can be prettymuch whatever you decide. I've diapered 2 girls(mostly "new" dipes for each due to circumstances) for the cost of a couple packs of elastic($1 packs from joaannes??) a pack of sewing machine needles and a pack of sew on velcro stuff. I started with my own fabric/scrap stash and put the word out to a few people. I have gotten SOOOOO much fabric, in the form of clothing, sheets, blankets etc that i'm moer than set fro my 2 girls(one who only needs them at night woohoo!!) and am making more for LO on the way in May. If its a boy i'll likley buy either atotal of a yard or 2 of fabric thats "BOY" (i never pay more than $1 a yard)

I even had a woman at church give me 10+ skeins of yarn(wool, alpaca and a pink fuzzy cute one) she had wanted to learn to knit but after it sitting 5yrs decided i could use it better. I made a skirt for her DD out of the fuzzy pink

I've also made diapers for friends those who plan to CD and even a couple who ddint plan to but wern't aposed to having them for "back up"...which i found out one uses them more than expected "cause they aer just to cute to not use!

Dont be afraid to ask around... people are cleaning out closets all teh time and someone in "need of junk" often gets peole looking they feel good for helping and declutering and you feel good saving money!

I dont think i've spent more than $20 a girl including the electricity and all! But I certainly COULD spend FAR more with tha cute things out there! and ther really NICe fabrics and such.. not to mention the wool yarns and such too.
#15 of 16 Old 12-17-2008, 11:18 PM

It took me six months of cloth diapering for my diapers to pay for themselves. I sewed fitteds with Rita's Rump Pocket pattern out of flannel on sale. I bought IPFs. I use pins instead of Snappis due to many finger gouges and shirt snags. And I knit my own wool covers.
#16 of 16 Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerri View Post
I already have a snap press, but you could find someone local to do them for you. (Craigslist, freecycle, local mom's groups)
If you don't mind using secondhand CD, these are great sources for those as well. I got 18 Kushies most of them were AIO's and 2 covers for $20 from Craigslist. I also got 47 homemade fitteds and 5 prefolds from a mom off of freecycle. She wasn't sure that anyone would be interested in them, but posted on the off chance. I had been searching freecycle for anything baby and snatched those up.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page