I want to sew but... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-23-2003, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to sew but... I just can't get my machine to work for me!! I'm so frustrated, first I took 30minutes trying to figure out how to fill the small bobbin undernieth, then coulden't get the thread to come out from the bottom, now everytime I try to sew a straight line somthing snags AND the tension is all wrong!!!

The sewing machine is a hand me down Kennmore machine from the '80s and I don't have an instruction manual.

I pull it out every couple of weeks, struggle, curse and put it away again. I have all these great ideas fos stuff I'd like to make and I'm just so freakin' frustrated that I can't get anywhere with it!

I'm sorry to vent like this but I just had to get it off my chest. Hopefully someone who knows what they are doing will look at my machine for me and set it up and teach me what I'm doing wrong SOON!!!

Thanks for listening to a wannabe crafty mamma's late night rant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2003, 06:42 AM

Have you tried contacting Sears (I believe they make Kenmore products exclusively...) and seeing if you can get an old manual, or even just some assistance? What about going to a local quilting shop (or fabric shop of any sort) and asking for a sewing machine class with your particular machine? They'll usually do a private lesson for around $30 or so, and can explain to you all the basics, using your own machine. I plan to do that someday soon with the used serger I bought from Seraph in the TP. It has a manual, but it's just SO much easier to learn from a person who knows what they're doing. Anyway, I hope you can figure it out soon and get to sewing!

Anne wife to Phil & mama to Katie
Velvet Blue ::: Seattle Baby/Child/Family Portraits
Old 11-23-2003, 04:53 PM

How about a different angle? Ask for a new one for the holidays! I was always having the worst time with my machine so my parents got me a low end model for my birthday last year. I love it!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

Old 11-23-2003, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerrie
How about a different angle? Ask for a new one for the holidays! I was always having the worst time with my machine so my parents got me a low end model for my birthday last year. I love it!
Okay, that's a MUCH better idea! That's what I did, actually. My new sewing machine arrived yesterday. I can't believe I didn't think to suggest that! :LOL

Anne wife to Phil & mama to Katie
Velvet Blue ::: Seattle Baby/Child/Family Portraits
Old 11-23-2003, 05:19 PM

There used to be a sewing school on Duluth, which I always meant to go to...until they closed down.

Last winter, I saw a sign up at the Peek-A-Boo (second-hand children's clothing store) on St.-Hubert advertising sewing lessons. There must be a lot of wannabe crafty mommies, because all the numbers were taken!

In the meantime, I would definitely contact Sears. They would likely send you a manual, if not the exact one you need.

Dodo, whose computer is on her Kenmore sewing machine table, which has been missing one crucial part for going on three years -- when will she finally call Sears?

User Tag List