Mothering Forum banner

Where is my period? How do i get it back?

557 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  menow 
#1 ·
Im new here...and finding myself wanting baby #2. I am 18mo pp and have yet to have a period. I have cut down nursing to 2x a day - once in the AM and once before bedtime - and only one side each nurse. I have been doing this for 1 month now. My naturopath says to give this 2 months...then we can test hormones and/or there are some herbs that can help jump start my cycle. Has anyone had experience with this? I was also seeing some posts about acupuncture working?

Im so frustrated. My husband is also getting antsy. It's so hard to wait! Should I be charting to see if I'm ovulating? I was thinking i'd just wait until I saw a period and then start trying - but is there any reason to chart at this point too? Should I know if Im O'ing or not?

I guess I just dont know what else I should be doing. You all seem like you have such great ideas and support. Im the only gal in my circle of mama's who is still nursing - so I dont get a lot of support. My ob says to stop nursing - but that just isnt an option right now. I already cut down from 4x a day both sides..to just 2x a day - one side only each time.

Ah - Im rambling now. I feel alone in this and Im stressing out.

#2 ·
I'm sorry that you are frustrated
. I don't want to dash your hopes or anything but I didn't receive my PP AF until DD was 17 months.....2 months after she COMPLETELY weaned herself. She was only nursing twice a day like your LO since she was 12 months. My understanding is that some women are just more sensitive hormonally than others. You could just naturally have high levels of prolatin so that any nursing at all is enough to supress ovulation. I think that's what my issue was. Thankfully DH and I weren't ready to try for #2 until recently because I only JUST started ovulating these past couple of cycles (once AF arrived it took me a good 3 cycles to get back on track and even now I think my luteal phases are too short
). My opinion is that it doesn't hurt to start charting. You might be able to tell if you are O'ing or not. At the very least you'll have some good data to start with
. I've heard that Vitex helps get you back on track but I've also heard that it can cause a decrease in milk supply. Good luck and congratulations for sticking with nursing your LO.....sometimes I still wish DD did!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.