IUD - how long to wait for sex? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-24-2009, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
luv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had a Mona Lisa NT Cu380 inserted on Thursday (yesterday). The doc said to wait 15 days for sex. At least that's what I think she said as my French isn't up to par.

I'm looking now and nowhere do I see that information repeated. In face I see that it's safe to have sex immediately after. So which is right?

Also she wants me to get a sonogram w/in the next week to ensure that it is placed right. Is this standard in the US? Maybe it's just a typical overzealous French Doc? Getting to the appt isn't easy with 2 under 2 so it would be nice to know if a sonogram is imperative.

Thanks,
-luv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-26-2009, 12:29 PM

After I had my mirena inserted I went for a sonogram and it was not placed correctly. I had to go back and they took that one out and replaced it with a new one. It was way more painful the second time, I think because my cervix was still sore from the first time. I waited 2 weeks before dtd, I think, but I have a really sensitive cervix, so some women probably wouldn't need to wait that long.

So, imho, yes it's very important to go for the sonogram. Good luck.

Malinda, partner to Ryan, Mama to Super-Holden (Nov 2006) and my new little bundle, Declan (Feb 2010)
#3 of 6 Old 04-26-2009, 02:09 PM

I WISH my doc had done a sonogram for my paraguard, I wonder if the reason I expelled it and had awful periods/cramping was bad placement. I would go for the sonogram, because it could save you a @##$load of hassle and hurt.

Oh, and the fifteen days I've never heard. However, might have to do with discomfort more than medical necessity.
#4 of 6 Old 04-26-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
luv

Thanks I'll schedule the sonogram and assuming it looks OK I'll feel like we're OK

-luv
#5 of 6 Old 04-27-2009, 01:14 AM

I had the Paraguard and my doc said we could have sex as soon as I was comfortable!

trekkie.gifStudent Mama to:  C reading.gif  (9yrs old), R blahblah.gif (5yrs old), F  hammer.gif (3yrs old) and TTC baby.gif #4 since April 2009

#6 of 6 Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 PM

i don't know about your kind of iud, but when i got my mirena placed, the midwife said we could leave the appointment and go have sex in the parking lot. she said we didn't have to wait at all.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page