do you organise your life around when you want to conceive? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-09-2009, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we think that we will want to start ttc for number 2 in about six months time. there's a job i want to apply for (20 hours a week) that would start in about 4 months time. we want to get married, either next summer or the summer after, but i don't want to be pregnant at our wedding. my partner has the opportunity to spend some times overseas at a specific point next year & we wouldn't necessarily want to take a newborn to some of those locations. etc.

when you think about ttcing, do you carry on planning your life & embarking on projects regardless, or do you make plans around when you hope to be pregnant & giving birth?
#2 of 10 Old 07-09-2009, 05:07 PM

Yes, I had to plan ttc around some life stuff all three times- school, surgery, travel...

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#3 of 10 Old 07-09-2009, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It took us 6 years to conceive. After about 2 I figured it is never the "perfect" time & we'll figure it out. Turns out I finally conceived while we were living out of the country & away from our families - sigh. But it worked out beautifully.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 10 Old 07-09-2009, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The other way around... I plan to TTC when all the other stuff in my life is at a point where it's a good idea.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#5 of 10 Old 07-09-2009, 05:31 PM

I tried that. It's been 30 months, and I stopped trying to plan life around conception around month 18, or so. It can be really hard, because it feels like your life is crumbling around you when the conception doesn't happen on a timeline.

I don't suggest it, in other words - unless your fertility is well proven, and you KNOW you'll get pregnant with a suggestive glance.

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
#6 of 10 Old 07-14-2009, 01:51 PM

I guess I have a bit. When I think about TTC it's usually more along the lines of "I will start this month b/c if I would get pregnant it would be nice to have a baby in the spring, or not be pregnant in the middle of the summer". However I haven't in regards to things like paying off debt,moving, switching careers, etc. At this point in my life I've been telling DH, why put it off any longer, it could take a year to conceive, or I could m/c and that would make time longer to have a baby, etc.
It's tough!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#7 of 10 Old 07-15-2009, 12:05 PM

Sure. It's always in the back of my mind. It's more about when the baby would be born vs. when we'd concieve. For example, I am going to be in a wedding mid June 2010 and I really don't want to be hugely pg when the wedding rolls around. So if we start trying now I would likely have a newborn at wedding time but who the heck knows how long it will take us to ttc #2. It took 18 months of ttc w/DS. I think we are going to start ttc soon instead of Jan. like DH suggested. I think he wants to get it over with.

I do consider those things but who knows how long it will take when ttc.

DS is 4!
DD 8/10/10!
#8 of 10 Old 08-18-2009, 03:31 PM

yeah i had it all laid out when i thought this was going to be easy and i did put things on hold and not register for the next term at school and moved to a bigger rental and that kind of thing, but now we have been at it for 20+ months and nothing yet, and i have decided that we need to just go about life the way we would anyway and take it one cycle at a time.
i do think a lot each cycle about when i would give birth, usally in relation to my two big family trips out east (just want to be able to fly or bring small baby, rather than be due) or my favorite festival in the summer, would actually rather be preggo at that one!

and while i dont admit it to anyone IRL i always work our what sign i would be having and strongly prefeer a few and feel icky about others. so i admit to "trying a bit harder" on "good months"

of course with a first pregnancy, the birth window is so unknown that all my planning is just for fun and might not work in the slightest.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#9 of 10 Old 08-28-2009, 01:50 AM

I have and I guess I'm doing it now... not for career/travel but season I have had 2 summer babies and don't want to do that again so we are tta for a few months till a fall baby would be in the cards

S Momma to:8:5:4:1.5 and: May 29 2010 loving wife to C:
:::: ::: formally mom_2_3_girls
#10 of 10 Old 08-28-2009, 02:40 PM

I was also thinking more about when the baby would be born versus conception. As other pp's, I stopped focusing on 'the perfect' time to have a baby around the 1 year mark. When we were surprised by getting pregnant and that we're expecting in Feb, it seems like the perfect time (never a month I would have planned!). Having a month or season in mind for when I wanted to give birth just added to my disappointment every time AF came.

Thrilled to be expecting Baby #2 after 15 months TTC (a 30% drop in TTC time than Baby #1!)

"Everything that is done in the world is done by hope." Martin Luther

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page