brown discharge before period - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-08-2009, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ever since I got my period back since my ds was born, I've had brown discharge for like 5-7 days before my period actually starts. Before my pregnancy, it was normal for me to have 1-2 days of this stuff, but never a week! It just looks like old blood, but I don't know why it shows up at the beginning. I saw my family doctor today, and told him that this has been going on, each cycle, for like a year. He was mildly concerned and told me I could have an ultrasound if I wanted one, to look for fibroids. I don't really want to do an ultrasound, but now I'm a little concerned. Has anyone else here had symptoms like this? Is it normal? Should I get the ultrasound? My other thought was to try raspberry leaf tea and see if that changed things since it promotes uterine health.

We are going to ttc again soon, so that's another reason I just want to make sure everything is ok down there.

wife to DH 6/25/05, mama to DS 5/26/08 & DS2 9/1/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-09-2009, 12:09 AM

I have the exact same thing! When I first got ppaf, I'd have a day of spotting. Then it was two days. Last cycle it was 5 days!!!! I'm trying red raspberry tea this cycle and hoping it sort things out - otherwise I'm going to ask my dr about it in Feb.

I'd probably hold off on the u/s for a bit and get some tea to see if it helps. Unless you're ttc in the next month or so. Do you have any other fibroid symptoms? Oh and are you bfing? That can really mess with your cycles. (which is why I don't expect my dr to take me seriously when I mention the spotting...she told me a 21 day period was 'normal' while nursing!)

Loving mama to ds C (6/07) and dd N (11/08). Joyously welcomed our rainbow1284.gif, dd2 A (8/11).

#3 of 9 Old 10-09-2009, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I actually am still bfing. That's good to know because I didn't know that it could mess with my cycle. I don't have any other fibroid symptoms, but my mom's side of the family has a history of complications in that area. I think that's part of the reason that my doctor was concerned.

#4 of 9 Old 10-11-2009, 09:17 AM

I don't have children (yet!) but this happens to me too. I have it for a few days, then it stops, then my period arrives. I was told it's normal, and that it might be old blood from a previous cycle. I started taking prenatals when we started TTC, and since then the amount of spotting has lessened. Not sure if the vitamins are helping, but they're correlated.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#5 of 9 Old 10-11-2009, 09:37 AM

Thank you for starting this thread and saving my sanity. (Tentatively, anyway!)

DD was born January 10th. I had about four weeks of lochia, IIRC. I may have had a sixth-week bleed but I forget.

First PP period was August 28th. It seemed to come too soon after when I'd noticed EWCM - like six days. Still, I figured AF was back (and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth... I wanted more than a six-month reprieve, doggone it).

This cycle? I think I've had two separate runs of EWCM, I've been having light brown discharge/spotting so light you wouldn't notice it unless you were obsessing (who, meeee?) for five days now. Oh, and I'm on CD 45 - pre-baby, I was consistently 29/30.

Anyway, I'm really glad to hear this isn't just me, and that hopefully AF will be coming any day now, so I can stop convincing myself I'm pregnant again. Which is possibly the most terrifying thought I've ever had.
#6 of 9 Old 10-16-2009, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Good news. I did the ultrasound and got the results. The brown discharge means absolutely nothing. My uterus is just fine, no fibroids or anything else.

#7 of 9 Old 10-17-2009, 12:18 AM

Yay! That's great news! It's still annoying, but it's not serious!

I've been drinking that stupid tea religiously and it has done nothing to stop the spotting before af. I think you went the right route!

Loving mama to ds C (6/07) and dd N (11/08). Joyously welcomed our rainbow1284.gif, dd2 A (8/11).

#8 of 9 Old 10-17-2009, 12:22 PM

I have heard that you might have a problem with progesterone if you have brown spotting before AF. A friend of mine started progesterone after O and that seems to have cleared up the brown spotting/bleeding before AF. You might look into it.

Catholic, SAHM, Married 6 yrs. , Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is 4, DS is 2-we had a wonderful , EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to two unrelated girls. 
#9 of 9 Old 10-17-2009, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfarmom View Post
I have heard that you might have a problem with progesterone if you have brown spotting before AF. A friend of mine started progesterone after O and that seems to have cleared up the brown spotting/bleeding before AF. You might look into it.
This has been the case for me, too. Progesterone helped the last two cycles, though this one I think I got a bad batch since I had the spotting and early temp drop again. Anyone else have that experience?

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page