Should I buy a clearblue easy fertility monitor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am only on my third month of TTC, but I am considering spending our limited funds on a fertility monitor because (1) I am 35, and I want to get pregnant fast, (2) DH works out of town, and we have to drive 3 hours every time we bd, unless it is a weekend (Fri-Sun). We don't mind driving that far to BD, but it is expensive, so knowing when to make the trip would be helpful. I am still BF, so my cycles and O dates seem to be all over the place (but I have only been charting for a few months). We don't have much money, so this would be a financial sacrifice, but we could afford it, yk.

Any opinions on this monitor? Is there another fertility monitor that I should consider?

Thanks!

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#2 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If your O dates are not regular, there's a good chance the monitor will be MUCH more expensive than it sounds (after all each pack of sticks is like 30 bucks... and its possible you could go through a pack or MORE per month if your cycles are long enough)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 10:01 PM

IF you are seriously considering buying a monitor, I have one for that I am no longer using! And I also have a box of 30 sticks! I am selling it on e-bay (Its listed under this title: Clear Blue Fertility Monitor (with 30 test sticks) ). I did a full reset as instrusct by the clear blue easy customer service! Check it out

Megan--wife to DAKS geek.gif
Our rainbow1284.gif Baby "Cupcake" arrived 1/31/12

#4 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 10:05 PM

YES!!!

I conceived both my children using the CBE monitor. When I was TTC with my first it took MONTHS (I was charting) around the 7th month I got the monitor then got PG within 2 months. With my second child it took 2 cycles and I conceived her only DTD once out the whole second cycle so that was nice! I definitely think they are VERY helpful.

You could look for a used one. I traded mine to another MDC mama but I have seen them used and they can be reset.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#5 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 10:07 PM

I have a CPFM that I have used off and on throughout the years, and the box of sticks cost $50. Plan on using at least 10 sticks each cycle to begin with. So if this is something you can financially afford, do it. Otherwise, buying the 5 pack for $17 would probably work if you think you can succeed quickly.
#6 of 10 Old 10-13-2009, 06:15 PM

I have one that I'm happy to sell as well if you're interested. I need to doublecheck, but I might have some sticks left too. PM me if you're interested.
#7 of 10 Old 10-13-2009, 06:42 PM

this likely won't work (if you are still talking about the CBE monitor) because the first cycle will require 11 on average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happily Blessed View Post
Otherwise, buying the 5 pack for $17 would probably work if you think you can succeed quickly.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#8 of 10 Old 10-15-2009, 06:41 PM

You know, if I were you, I'd buy the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

I have not personally used a fertility monitor, because they were too costly, but I've heard of folks still having trouble determining their ovulation with the monitors. The charting method the book teaches you will help you pinpoint the best time very easily. I think you'll save lots of money, as well. You can just chart with pen and paper--or if you have the $40 to spend, you can buy their software program. I've been using it for 4 years and it's great. I conceived our first child using and am in the midst of trying for a second now. I plan on using it up until menopause--it's very interesting to see the changes in your cycle.

Good luck!
Debra
#9 of 10 Old 10-16-2009, 10:55 PM

The monitor was too ambiguous for me.. or my hormone levels were too ambiguous- it never gave me clear info.. I did much better with temping.
#10 of 10 Old 10-19-2009, 06:15 AM
Banned

How about using the ClearPlan Ovulation Predictor kits? So much cheaper.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page