yet another iud question - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: If you have/had and IUD, why did you get it removed?
I wanted to TTC. 26 54.17%
I didn't like it. 2 4.17%
It expired. 2 4.17%
The side effects were too much. 12 25.00%
Other 6 12.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 10-24-2009, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please explain your choice if you can- I left them kinda vague.
#2 of 25 Old 10-24-2009, 11:11 PM

I primarily had it removed to TTC.

However, I might have had it removed soon anyway because I had excessive bleeding, I was bleeding about 50% of the time (with a Paragard).

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#3 of 25 Old 10-26-2009, 02:31 AM

I had mine removed (Mirena) because knowing something foreign was in my body bothered me more than I thought it would. I also swore that I could feel it sometimes. My doc. thought I was crazy but I mentioned it to a friend and she says she feels hers sometimes too??

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#4 of 25 Old 10-26-2009, 02:39 AM

I had my first Paragard removed so we could TTC. Currently on my second one right now. Love it, no problems with it.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#5 of 25 Old 10-27-2009, 01:13 AM

i had mine removed from heavy bleeding one month to no p for 6months it was horrid and i had a mirena
i aslo gained 60pounds that came off like dead skin after it was removed!

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#6 of 25 Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 PM

I loved the first one I had. Mostly the freedom of not worrying about pregnancy and not having a period. I had a lot of side effects at first that my doctor chalked up to being postpartem. I didn't want to be touched, low sex drive, moodiness etc. I had it replaced the beginning of this year and had the same exact symptoms. I had it taken out right away. I can't help but wonder what the first six months of my youngest daughters life would have been like if I hadn't been so busy dealing with all that.
#7 of 25 Old 10-30-2009, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

swalk was that the mirena?
#8 of 25 Old 10-30-2009, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm on my second Paraguard. I personally took my first out to conceive (first cycle!) and then had another put in after I recovered from that birth. My body has made it very clear that I cannot do hormones, and I got pregnant at 10mths postpartum with my cervical cap, so this has been a good compromise for me. I will say that I now have a 22 day cycle because of it, which isn't thrilling, but overall I'm quite happy with it.
#9 of 25 Old 11-02-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoulunbound View Post
swalk was that the mirena?
Yes
#10 of 25 Old 11-03-2009, 11:55 PM

Had the paraguard in for 3 years and loved it, that is until I went for my reg check up and was told I had a severe infection and it needed to be removed asap. She wanted me to be admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics but instead gave me 6 weeks of antibiotics because I was married (wouldnt have sex with anyone who had an STD, which could have caused a complete hysterectomy) and whats the most scary part is that i had no symptoms of infection. Left untreated could have turned into PIDs and I wouldnt be carrying the little bean Im having now. So for me...i wouldnt use an IUD ever again. But ofcourse not everyone gets an infection.
#11 of 25 Old 11-05-2009, 05:05 AM

mine's coming out next week so I voted anyway...we're going to TTC.

I love having an IUD, it's easy for me and no hormones, but my periods are way heavy and I find myself acting more PMS-ish.

Lindsey
Mama to (10/05) and (12/07) (2/10) and expecting in December!
#12 of 25 Old 11-05-2009, 09:48 AM

I just had my Paraguard removed because we are TTC. I really enjoyed not having to worry about bc, but my periods were heavier than I would have liked. I had my IUD in for about 15 months, and the last three my period had started to lighten up. My most recent one, however, since the IUD was removed is very light, like they used to me. I might try the Mirena next time, although I'm really hoping that Dh will take on the birth control responsibility.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#13 of 25 Old 11-05-2009, 09:38 PM

I just had my Paragard removed last week. I liked that I didn't have to deal with the hormones but once I started having PP AFs again I couldn't deal with the insane amount of blood I was loosing.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#14 of 25 Old 11-06-2009, 05:23 PM

I had mirena removed because I wanted ttc. I had NO symptoms with it. No periods, no cramping, nothing.

I think it did mess up my hormones though for when I ttc, because my first pregnancy afterward my hormones were not like they usually are when I am pregnant- I had to take progesterone supplements for the first time EVER and ended up m/c... could have been unrelated, but I have my suspicions.
#15 of 25 Old 11-14-2009, 03:13 AM

I am getting mine remmoved in two weeks. I am getting it removed mostly because the side effects got to be too much, but also because I want to TTC, and that is making the side effects bother me more, I think. I have the mirena.

jeneca mommy to kamille, 6 lexi, 4
#3 due 2/28/12

#16 of 25 Old 11-14-2009, 03:26 AM

I picked other because mine fell out. I had a Paraguard. I think I had a reaction to the copper and was reacting to it. I didn't like it (longer heavier periods....irritating considering I'm a maybe 5 days max at a light/medium flow).

Expulsion rates go up when you are nursing which I was at the time. I was also using a DivaCup and while you are technically supposed to be able to use a menstral cup it can dislodge it.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#17 of 25 Old 11-17-2009, 04:56 PM

I have had the Mirena for exatly one year and really have no complaints. The first month I had light spotting off and on, and I spot a little after intercourse(did that a little before iud). I had it put in 6 wks pp and haven't had a period yet.
I just scheduled my appt to have it removed because we are going to ttc in a few months and want a few months to get back to normal.

Jenni Wife to Jason and Mommy to Enza 9/08 energy.gifand Grayson 1/11 h20homebirth.gif   novaxnocirc.gif lactivist.gif

#18 of 25 Old 11-28-2009, 11:25 AM

My Paraguard actually started to embed within the uterus wall. It was causing bleeding and lots of pain. I went into shock when they took it out.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#19 of 25 Old 12-03-2009, 01:23 AM

I had my Mirena removed because sex was uncomfortable. I was irritable and tired all the time. I bled quite a bit more than normal. I stayed nauseated. Finally, after sharp pains in my uterus I found out that it was infected and had to have abx. It was just too much for me.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#20 of 25 Old 12-05-2009, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Below is what I had previously posted about my experience with the Paragard. If you are interested in that thread (I don't think I can link it?), search for a thread titled "Copper IUD and side effects" in Family Planning.

I had none of the typical side effects - no bad cramping, periods were only slightly heavier (though tamed with the DivaCup), etc. However, I believe I had a reaction to the copper. A sibling of mine had it, too, and we both had them removed.

I was ridiculously emotional, irritable, and well, slightly depressed. I kept it in longer than I should have and I do regret that. I was fine for the first few months, but then everything went downhill for a while. I have had it removed for almost four months and I'm still not back to normal (yet). I'm much(!) better and I am confident it will take a couple of more months to feel 100%.

With that said, I recommend the IUD to people, but I would caution anyone to watch their symptoms and if they have any of the emotional side effects, yank it.
#21 of 25 Old 12-08-2009, 04:04 PM

I chose other, I had my IUD fall out but I was pregnant. I noticed some spotting, went to the bathroom a little while later and there it was. Was gonna get another one, but was waiting and waiting, turned out I was pregnant before it came out.

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#22 of 25 Old 12-11-2009, 05:08 PM

I had my Paragard removed to TTC.

I don't know whether I will get a Paragard or Mirena next time. I like the quicker return of fertility with a Paragard, but dislike the heavier periods and worse cramps.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#23 of 25 Old 12-18-2009, 03:43 PM

I voted TTC though I technicaly have not had it removed or started TTC yet. I haven't had any issues with it though so TTC would really be the only reason I would want/need to get it out. Mine is the Paragard (copper, 10 year) and it will definitely be less than 10 years before we try for our second!

Sarah B~ Proud Marine Wife, mama of two girlshomebirth.jpg!

#24 of 25 Old 12-18-2009, 03:53 PM

I voted other as I had my Mirena in as treatment for endometrial hyperplasia, and then removed at the end of 12 month treatment. I didn't have many side effects except no period, slightly lowered sex drive and I could feel it slightly during sex.

First babe due Summer 2010! IVF babe after 3.5 years TTC
#25 of 25 Old 12-18-2009, 03:59 PM

I had mine removed (mirena) because it was burrowing into my cervix. Good times . Thankfully that didn't affect my fertility, we had two cycles where we prevented, then I got PG our first cycle of not preventing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page