RRL Tea causing severe menstrual cramps? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-13-2009, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I usually have VERY painful menstrual cramps and so after reading about how RRL tea can help tone your uterus for labor, I thought that maybe it would help with my cramps. So I bought some Traditional Medicinals RRL tea towards the end of my last cycle.

The day before my period started, I steeped one tea bag in 8oz of just boiled water for 15 mins. Then I drank it. Approximately 30 minutes later, I started feeling crampy and I when I went to the bathroom, I had bright red spotting.

The next day, I had some brown spotting and slight twinges in my uterus. In the afternoon, I drank another cup of tea prepared the same way and within 30 minutes, cramps again and bright red spotting. I still didn't think it was from the tea so I drank another cup the next day, CD 2. That evening, I had possibly the worst cramps of my life. I was in tears and almost went to the ER.

Did the RRL tea cause this?

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#2 of 13 Old 11-14-2009, 11:05 AM

It seems unlikely that RRL would cause the cramping, it is used for easing painful menstrual cramping as well as toning for labor...At least that is how I have used it. Maybe some of the ladies in the RRL tribe would have some experiences to share? I have never heard of it causing cramping before.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had this experience though.

How did the rest of your cycle play out?

Yurt livin mama with three free range wild things 11/05, 10/07, and a wee new squish 7/13, and one two three four five little angels. Knitting junkie, sewing obsessed. Falls asleep to the sound of coyotes singing.
#3 of 13 Old 11-14-2009, 03:17 PM

There isn't any way you could be pg is there? The reason I ask is b/c I can't drink RRL when I'm first pg as it gives me really bad contractions/backaches.... Other then that I can't imagine it causing spotting/cramping at any other time....

heartbeat.gif~Cowgirl Momma to 3 amazing boys  & adding a new babyf.gifin July 2014~heartbeat.gif 
#4 of 13 Old 11-15-2009, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSTC View Post
There isn't any way you could be pg is there? The reason I ask is b/c I can't drink RRL when I'm first pg as it gives me really bad contractions/backaches.... Other then that I can't imagine it causing spotting/cramping at any other time....
Well, I'm fairly certain that my last cycle, the one that was so painful and seemed to have cramps onset by drinking the RRL tea was a chemical pregnancy. I got the faintest of faint lines on one test that I took but not on any others and the bleeding started the next day. So I guess it's possible that I caused it by drinking the tea?

My chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1f0436

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#5 of 13 Old 11-15-2009, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenmoon View Post
It seems unlikely that RRL would cause the cramping, it is used for easing painful menstrual cramping as well as toning for labor...At least that is how I have used it. Maybe some of the ladies in the RRL tribe would have some experiences to share? I have never heard of it causing cramping before.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had this experience though.

How did the rest of your cycle play out?
Well I stopped drinking the tea after the evening of severe cramps and the next couple of days were pain-free. So I'm not sure if that was the cause or not. I've been meaning to try to drink a cup since I am mid-cycle to see what happens. Maybe I will do that tomorrow.

#6 of 13 Old 01-19-2010, 05:23 PM

Hey Annie,
Did you ever drink the RRL tea mid-cycle to see what happens? Reason I ask is that the last 2 days when I've had RRL tea I've got cramps and a backache... Which as far as I can remember it only ever had that effect when I was newly pg w/ ds2... But I'm pretty sure I'm not pg as I've had a few - tests and my chart (I'd post it but it doesn't seem to upload to the new site from my tcoyf program ) is all over the place and I'm still bf my 10 month old (mostly only when he's tired though) and last time with my older ds I couldn't get pg till I weaned even though I was cycling/o'ing ( which I'm not now)... So I was just wondering how you reacted to it later on and if anyone else reacts this way to rrl when they aren't pg?

heartbeat.gif~Cowgirl Momma to 3 amazing boys  & adding a new babyf.gifin July 2014~heartbeat.gif 
#7 of 13 Old 01-19-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

I keep forgetting! But I'm on CD 4 and AF is tapering off so I think I will start drinking it in a few days to see what happens.

Thanks for the reminder!

#8 of 13 Old 01-19-2010, 05:32 PM

Well let me know how it goes if you do!

#9 of 13 Old 01-20-2010, 08:53 AM

Well since me and dh dtd last night I've had lots of blood tinged mucus and the backache/cramping came back and isn't going away... So I'm really hoping it ether is the rrl tea or my pp af is coming b/c I feel a lot like I did when I was first pg w/ ds2 and had spotting/cramping from a hemorrhage and I'm going to start panicking if I'm pg as I just found out that the main ingredient (Don Quai) in these New Mama drops I take has been used to cause abortions... And I really would be upset if if I was all of a sudden pg after all and had made myself lose the baby...

#10 of 13 Old 01-20-2010, 09:28 AM

RRLT gives me pretty bad cramping as well. I was drinking about 4 cups a day in my luteal phase. I stopped and so did the cramps and I was doing nothing new other than this. Thought maybe cutting down would help but I just stopped altogether before I could experiment.

Dee: Mommy to a 2 y/o boy, expecting a in July and married to my .
#11 of 13 Old 01-20-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunziemom View Post
RRLT gives me pretty bad cramping as well. I was drinking about 4 cups a day in my luteal phase. I stopped and so did the cramps and I was doing nothing new other than this. Thought maybe cutting down would help but I just stopped altogether before I could experiment.
I have a few ? for you if you don't mind...

Is this the only time you've drank it or have you been able to drink it before w/ no problem? Also did the cramps go away fairly fast?

The main reason that I'm worried is that it bothered me when I was first pregnant w/ my ds, but then when I drank it later in my pregnancy and the few times I've had it since he was born it didn't bother me... And now I started drinking it to boost my iron as I've been super fatigue for a few weeks and thought it might be low iron as I was super low when ds was born and I start cramping and spotting... and now I'm not spotting anymore but the soreness/cramps in my groin/back just won't go away...

#12 of 13 Old 01-23-2010, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

So I'm on CD 8 and I drank a cup of RRL tea this afternoon w/out it causing any cramps. I think I am going to keep drinking it to see if that changes at all through my cycle.

#13 of 13 Old 01-24-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
So I'm on CD 8 and I drank a cup of RRL tea this afternoon w/out it causing any cramps. I think I am going to keep drinking it to see if that changes at all through my cycle.
Huh! that's interesting... Thanks for the update & please keep me updated if you start getting cramps again I'm trying to decide if I want to try drinking some again or not... My body is being very hard to figure out right now and I don't want to mess it up further....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page